Unless you know the horse, put a head collar on and tie him up.
1. Undo the surcingles (securing straps) from the left side then go round to the right side and loosely knot them together
2. Undo the breast buckles of the rug. Undo the leg straps, if the rug has them, then do them back up (ready for putting the rug back on)
3. Fold the rug in half (front onto back),
4. With your left hand on the fold and your right hand on the seam at the rear of the rug, remove the rug with a backward sweep following the lie of the horse's hair
5. Re-fold the rug and place the rug in a dry corner of the stable. If your horse likes chewing rugs then place it outside of the stable in a dry place.