Barefoot Cheyenne or Trekker Talent?

Discussion in 'Training of the Horse and Rider' started by carrieh, May 13, 2006.

1. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

Hi everyone - I'm a 50 year old lady with slightly dodgy hips [:) ] and have a lovely little 13.2 Fell pony who is in his early 20's. I have become convinced about the idea of a treeless saddle for our gentle hacks round the countryside - that is all we do nowadays.

I have been doing a lot of exploring about treeless saddles on the web and have finally reached a choice of either a Barefoot Cheyenne or a Trekker Talent, both of which are just about in my price range. Bearing in mind I am also going to have to buy the special pad to go underneath the saddle, dressage stirrup leathers and a dressage girth too, it looks like the whole package will cost me just over £400.

The Cheyenne seems to be the most popular from what I have read, but is this because it is a lot better than the Trekker or simply that it is more widely available? The Trekker actually looks more comfortable in the pictures I have seen, but I suspect this may not be so.

Can anyone advise? My head is spinning with all that I have read and I seem to be going round in circles!

2. gordo

gordo New Member

I have the Cheyenne and it is to die for!! First time I got on it was like sitting on a bag of air!! It is so comfortable and doesn't feel wide. My horse is a 17.2hh ID/TB so there's a lot of horse to sit on but I never feel uncomfortable. Worth every penny. I have the brown one as I saw the black and they fade badly.

[​IMG]

Has Suber pad underneath and girth from Lidl

3. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

Thank you Gordo - comments appreciated. You have a lovely horse there. I used to breed Irish Draught horses at one time, but nowadays I stick to my little Fell as he's easier for me to get on and off!

4. c2b

c2b New Member

And I have the trekker. I absolutly love it. So so comfortable. The only thing that made me go for the trekker not the barefoot was that the trekker is smooth leather and the barefoot is more like a suede. I thought the trekker would be easier to keep clean no idea if it is though. The place I got mine from does a free weeks trial....if you don't like it send it back and only pay for the postage to return it.

5. gordo

gordo New Member

Thanks, he is a dear boy. Any more q's, fire away!

6. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

That sounds like an excellent plan. Which company does that?

I hadn't realised that the Cheyenne was suede-like nubuck and the Trekker smooth. Gordo - is the Cheyenne difficult to keep clean? I have a pair of Ariat nubuck western riding boots that are some years old now, and whilst they can be kept clean easy enough, they do tend to change colour, with some smooth patches and some rougher patches. Though I think they look all the better for having a 'worn' look.

7. No_Angel

No_Angel Well-Known Member

having slightly dodgy hips you may find the trekker and barefoot quite wide.
    you can now get a hipsaver made by heather moffett that gives them more twist, its a bit pricey tho. now my mum has tried the phoenix i have on trial she loves the twist in it (she adores my trekker saddle) so we may get a hipsaver for her ansur.
    http://www.bettersaddles.co.uk/acatalog/heather_moffett_products.html

8. fitz

fitz New Member

Gordo your horse is lovely. Any mounted pics?
    I'm interested in your reports as well, as I was interested in buying the Cheyenne

9. c2b

c2b New Member

10. gordo

gordo New Member

When I can get someone to come and watch me ride I will get some riding pics, eventually!
    The saddle is suede like and I have only cleaned mine twice in the 11 months I've had it!! Where the wear is most, the leather has rubbed smooth but I have been told it can be 'roughed up' again with a wire brush. I love mine as it is, all worn and comfy looking. Its so light too!

11. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

That's a great idea No Angel - thank you! A hipsaver in conjunction with a Barefoot Cheyenne or Trekker Talent is a good idea.

12. B&R's Mum

B&R's Mum New Member

I have owned both. Personally I found the Trekker more comfortable to ride in. The Barefoot has the stirrups bars set further back which I found a bit of a stretch. They both felt the same width-wise to ride on. However the Barefoot did offer a small amount of wither clearance on my chunky cob which the Trekker didn't.

13. gordo

gordo New Member

The Goldfinch Suber pad I have is shaped like an hourglass to give the twist effect too. Does a great job! Cost £75

14. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

Thanks to everyone for all your advice and help - much appreciated. Am most certainly going to go ahead with a purchase! :)

15. ~Perdita.M~

~Perdita.M~ Two Little Boys

Just thought I'd be cheeky and hop in here saying I have a fitform ( made by the same people who now make the freeform) treeless saddle for sale, complete with full lot of accessories currently on ebay. The quality of the fitform is on a par with the torsions of the treeless world, and I believe its original retail value was in the region of £700:confused:

Anyway... just thought I'd mention it!:D The link should be below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7241621429&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:11

16. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

Thanks Perdita, I'll have a look at that.

Meanwhile I have a Trekker arriving for a trial, so fingers crossed it actually stops raining sometime this week so that I can get out in it! I decided on the Trekker simply because it is smooth leather as opposed to suede-like nubuck of the Barefoot. I've got an Impakt anti-slip shock absorbing pad that I can use underneath it just to try it out, but presumably I would need a proper treeless saddlepad or a Suber pad if I decided to stick with the Trekker. Does the pad that is supplied by Trekker help keep the saddle off the withers?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  17. horsey1

horsey1 New Member

Does these saddles fit any horse? its just I am having a saddle fitting nightmare:( and I am getting to the point of no return with the fitter:(
    I have a TBX who is med/wide can you try before you buy?

18. No_Angel

No_Angel Well-Known Member

treeless saddles fit most horses, theres always the odd one the saddle doesnt fit or the horse doesnt like.
    most places offer trials before you buy.:)

19. carrieh

carrieh Benson's Mum

From what I've learnt, they will fit pretty much any horse although there is always the odd exception. Also some horses do not seem to adapt so well to treeless saddles, but again they appear to be the exception rather than the rule. But to me it looks like a question of finding the right sort of treeless saddle. This is just information I've picked up from web browsing by the way, not my own judgements.
    [Edit: As I was typing this, Tasha got in first with exactly the same comment! Hi Tasha!! :) ]

Yes you can try before you buy. Better Saddles will send you a trial saddle for a small fee + postage, as will Copper Beech Saddles, and then you return them at the end of the trial period and order your own saddle if you wish. Copper Beech will also let you pay full price for a saddle, keep it for 7 days, and if you don't like it you can send it back. Otherwise you simply keep it. Which of course saves you lots of postage in returning a trial saddle and ordering another one.

I'm getting my Trekker on trial from Copper Beech Saddles. Sue, the lady who runs the company, is extremely helpful and will answer any number of queries for you. She also breeds Fells, and as my own pony is a Fell, it seemed a logical place for me to start!

Links to both Better Saddles and Copper Beech are further up this thread.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  20. horsey1

horsey1 New Member

I will email her thanks:D