Blinkers

Discussion in 'Other Disciplines' started by popularfurball, Nov 3, 2011.

1. popularfurball

popularfurball Learning all the time

So we have been practicing going out in blinkers.

And he hates being in them. He goes into panic mode, trying to look for what he can hear.., and frequently bumps into posts (eg going through stiles) when they are at the side of him.

Is it worth persuing using blinkers? He isn't settling enough to do more than lead him about but even then he is planting when he hears something. He is ok in them in the school

2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

You NEVER take a horse through a door or narrow gate wearing blinkers, If a coach can't get through you NEVER take a blinkered horse through, they cannot judge distance and will knock their hips and upset them dreadfully. IT's maybe this that has unsettled him. Handling a blinkered horse is different to one in an open bridle.

Have you thought of open cup blinkers they open up the field of vision a lot more forwards and to the side. Have you got them too tight in? Let the winker stay out a bit.

3. Dannii5691

Dannii5691 Owned by Ponies!

Junes the same, she panics, doesn't matter where she is she goes into panic mode and is better without them.

I not long ago loaned a horse who had been mainly driven and wouldn't not move forward at all in an open bridle, was spooky and went into full panic mode.
    I rode her in blinkers for a while and it was a hard habit to break for her. I would possibly preservere a little bit more, more work in the school and then if he's still not settling consider without.

If your just planning to pootle about with him "driving etiquette" isn't overly important. June goes in her snaffle in an open bridle. Were breaking the trend!

4. popularfurball

No we aren't talking narrow gates -6ft wide? But they do have the horse steps in them but they aren't the problem.

It's like we went out with my parents, he repeatedly walked in to them - because I couldn't get him to concentrate - he was so busy trying to work out what's going on thy he would forget what was nearby. Once he settles it's no different to him bein in open, but he takes ages to settle and then it's erratic.

We have gone back to basics again anyway with sallie walrond :D so have been lunging this week as not something we do often at all and going to have a ground work lesson at the weekend hopefully :)

5. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

See if you can get some cheeks with cup blinkers on them. They can make a huge difference to a spooky horse.

6. popularfurball

He isn't normally spooky think its because he can't see

Is it worth persuing blinkers then wally? Happy to get some open cups. If we ever get anywhere near a cart then will probably do stuff like cones with only odd local show - no ambitions to do anything high level.

7. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

You can try with blinkers, but be very careful at the cart stage. When you put to for the first time.

Our stallion goes blinkerless he's happy, Hákon is driven without blinkers. It's not a bad thing, some judges do get silly about it though.

8. popularfurball

If its not likely to be much of a problem locally maybe I will leave them off. Would rather get him out an about confidently than risk both our safety.

Haven't even looked at carts... imagine that's realistically twelve months away if not more though I would like to put him in one this summer but no point rushing him.