Do horses respond to music?

Discussion in 'Confidence Club' started by newoldrider, Mar 31, 2012.

1. newoldrider

newoldrider New Member

I fell off today for the first time since I was twelve - I'm now 52 and back riding for a year or so now after a 35 year gap. Oddly enough, I'm more annoyed than anything -nothing is hurt except my pride!

I've gained some confidence in cantering in the last 2 weeks for the first time ever - on this particular (RS) pony. He's normally a little lazy but goes steady and slow in canter when you ask him. Today we were rehearsing for a formation ride and we tried it to music for the first time. My boy behaved like a different animal - springing forward, head and tail up - and then instead of going round the corner of the school, suddenly swerved sharply to the left (in canter). I, sadly, went straight on and found myself on the floor, covered in sand. My RI made me get straight back on, tho' we were near the end of the lesson by this stage.

I wonder if it was the music that set him off? I'm supposed to be riding him in this formation display at a stables open day in a few weeks and frankly somewhat nervous at the prospect!

2. juliecwuk

juliecwuk Well-Known Member

yes i anticipate it made a difference to him!

when i hack rosie solo i would play music on my iphone aloud not on headphones and she would perk up and walk quicker with more bubbly songs lol! or perhaps it was my singing!?! she walks quicker when we listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeah Song by the Flaming Lips lol!

3. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Oh yes, We have "Geoff Vader" in the indoor school,A massive sound system that Frances' OH wired up for us, him being a bit of an aging rock star!
    I like to school to classical so put the CD's on with are all classical. Frances puts her Ipod on shuffle. We were pottering along to something refiend and classical then the next thing on was some abomination that Frances calls music and the horses HATED it. It freaked them out.

4. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Fraances will be along in a minute to tell you what the "popular beat combo" was that they hated so much.

5. JustJas

JustJas New Member

Jas spooks if I sing... but that could be that I am tone deaf! Peps never minded...

6. Frances144

Frances144 Remember me?

David Guetto makes them argue.

Paul Simon and Richard Thompson are very good to school to.

Classical - nothing like a good pile of Mozart symphonies!

7. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

That's the fellow, I quite like it in a weird way, They hate it

8. MAC66

MAC66 Active Member

With my old horse I used to do dressage to music and I was sure he fitted his pace to the music. Our two best tests were to Status Quo, and the 1812 Overture - we had two 10s and three 9s in that one.

9. newoldrider

newoldrider New Member

Thanks for the interesting responses people! My reason for posting in the Confidence Club section is that I'm not sure whether to risk the formation show with this pony, try it with a different one or duck out of it altogether! I will just have to get back on this Saturday and see what happens! (Gulp..). Will report back if still in one piece...:unsure:

10. Waikato Valuta

Waikato Valuta New Member

I'm going to have to go try this out. Sounds like fun.

11. Golden1

Golden1 New Member

This sounds like so much fun, wish my riding school did this.

Hope you not too sore after your fall.

12. eml

eml Moderator

My RS horses and ponies love music and try to keep time! I generally just do musical rides in trot though as a lot of horses cantering together does tend to overexcite them!!

13. joosie

joosie Well-Known Member

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I would be more with Frances though tbh! Although I can't say Mozart would be my choice, I prefer my classical a little more... contemporary :giggle: You need to try David Garrett, might be a good middle ground between the two tastes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aegeLbgi-f4