Do they still make glue out of horse bones?

Discussion in 'General' started by Arob, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Arob

Arob Son of a beekeeper

Myself and a friend were digging holes and we can across this awesomely huge old horseshoe. Because it was near the surface of the earth we know it was very recently deposited here - the cans and trash around the rusted steel relic were from the 1970s. There is no evidence of burning on site - but lots of ash has been dumped here.
    [​IMG]
    I postulated that the horseshoe found here was bent by a bulldozer which compacted the site in the early 1970s. My friend told me otherwise - he said it was burnt and twisted by fire and this was probably from a glue factory that is still making white glue from animal skeletons today. He did not say which brand. I do not believe him. If that were true and the word got out, I don't think people would buy that brand of glue!
    [​IMG]
    I just love horses and it hurts me to think that their lifeless bodies could be reduced to such 'industrial components' after they leave this earth. Please tell me that horses are not still being used to make glue?

2. lolahutt

lolahutt Quod me nutrit me destr't

OMG I do not know but shall look into this, *shudders*

3. Tre

Tre New Member

i was always under the impression they used their hooves to make glue?

4. xloopylozzax

xloopylozzax New Member

tbh i have the threat of the glue factory (or dog food) for my ponies if they are been arsey- they dont know what i mean anyway so i just grumble it at them then it makes me laugh anyway.

i think it *does* happen in the US (well from what i can gather by using amercan sites anyway)

5. SavingGrace

SavingGrace New Member

I believe it is the hoof that they use/used!

6. Soot

Soot Paranoid!

I also thought hooves are still used.

7. laceyfreckle

laceyfreckle Active Member

i thought it was the hooves and/or bones. have a look at the sticky bit you lick on envelopes....thats the sort of 'glue' that is made from it.

8. chickyd444

chickyd444 Jasper 1993-2008 'Legend'

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(

9. chickyd444

chickyd444 Jasper 1993-2008 'Legend'

love that pic of the guy in the hole looking super vexed, do you find many horse skeltons and regailior (sp?) when doing a dig ? :)

10. allinyourrows

allinyourrows XX RIP Major. XX

Yep, they do!

11. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Evil Enabler

I love horses as well, but lifeless bodies are just that. In a way, it is good that they aren't just thrown into the earth and left to rot, but that something useful comes out of their remains.

12. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

I know there is rabbit skin glue, whether it's made from rabbit skins or genenral horses feet too, I don't know, but animal glue is very good quality and I used it to make the gesso to restore my old rocking horse.

Nothing wrong with makeing use of stuff.

I'm not sure they'd pick out the horseshoes from the glue mind, I think the shoes would come off before they rendered the feet.

It's most likely an old shoe that has been lost or taken off and dumped.

I have a shoe dump........anyone want them?

13. vieshot

vieshot Banned

I agree with this, why on earth would i not buy glue because it was made out of dead horses? And whats so bad about it?

14. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Animal glue is very eco friendly, no nasty chemicals, non toxic. Som of the stuff I use in the saddlery trade is leathal! We were only allowed one small coffee jar of it in the whole factory at one time, the rest was kept in a cage outside!

15. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't suppose there is anything wrong with using all the components of a dead creature - I mean, like the Polar Bear did in Northern Lights (Philip Pullman novel). At least when the horse is dead (whatever it died of) it was put to some use? I know a lot of horse owners wouldn't like the thoughts of it - I probably wouldn't be too keen on sending ours for that! but - on the otherhand at least horses that end up going for slaughter - well, at least all the parts get used.

16. lauraandharvey

lauraandharvey New Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    i quite liked licking envelopes :(:(:(:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

17. Sofi P

Sofi P New Member

haha, me too! in fact only today I told one of the mares that she was headed for the glue factory after trying to dump me on the road just because we paused for a second to let the traffic go by and she decided she was close enough to home to make a run for it!

18. horseygal90

horseygal90 Going

Isn't it the white sticky paste glue that smells awful and comes in a orange pot?

19. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

The animal glue I use needs to be melted over hot water and it stinks and is mucky brown colour.

20. Jenny2502

Jenny2502 Puzzle and Milly

when talking to non horsey people i hate it when they say they should all go for glue and paint brushes. Nasty!
    I cant say i havent grumbled about turning certain naughty horses into glue though hehe. ~(not meaning it of course i could never do that)~