Grackle Noseband .. views?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cheeky, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Cheeky

Cheeky .Love me, love my horse.

Hey there,

Went to a horse show on Sunday to take some photos .. got some great shots too :p Went onto an Aussie chat site and everyone was asking for photos of themselves .. so I think i'll go each week as they seem really happy about it ..

Anyways .. I sore this beautiful horse riding aroung .. and was wearing a grackle noseband. I haven't been bothered about looking into it .. but now I am.

What does the grackle do?

What are the benifits?

What are the negatives?

Do you use one?
    - if so, do you like it? why do you use it? what change have you had from when you didnt use one?

If you dont use one - would you? Why/why not?

What are their reputation like?

.. etc :)

Just as much info as possible thankyou all so much :)

2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

I am driven to distraction by them as they always slip around the nose and block off a nostril.

3. teapot

teapot New Member

I know a few horses who have them and the pony I'm about to start sharing has one.

The main aim is to stop the horse from crossing it's jaw and thus evading the bit. You can have two types of grackle - the normal one or the mexican grackle. The mexican sits higher up the horse's face than the other and is fitted more tightly - thus enabling more control.

They have to be fitted properly otherwise can interfere with a horse's breathing (same for flashes).

My personal view is that they are a good noseband for a horse than does cross its jaw as they offer more control than a flash. The horses that I know who have them, have them for a reason.

Baron (share pony) has one but not sure why yet (have only ridden him once and didn't feel that he needed one but I have yet to jump him so who knows) hopefully I will downgrade to a "softer" noseband.

Like all other bits or nosebands, they are only good if used correctly.

Sadly grackles are part of the equestrian "fashion" so some people see them for just that.

4. Emz

Emz New Member

I use one at shows on my boy.

He's ridden in a flash at home as he evades the bit when he's in one of those youngster naughty moods - although i am gradually weaning him off it as it were.

I decided to use a grackle at jumping shows because it gives me that extra 'edge' of control which i needed with my steering and brakes on a youngster, and i didn't want to change his bit (loose ring french link snaffle) to something harsher as he's a baby.

Grackles are designed to stop the horse crossing its jaw, say horse crossed its jaw to the right, due to the shape of the grackle pressure in then applied both to the side of the mouth and the cheek, they generally also stop the horse opening its mouth too.

Benefits are mostly more control as horse can't evade bit. Mexicans are moe angular so are slightly more efficient and they also spread the pressures over a wider area etc.
    Negatives are mainly that people fit them too low and so they affect horses breathing - hence why i prefer mexicans as you can't fit them low enough to do damage.

Alot of people have them for the sake of being fashionable, they only come into effect when horse is evading the bit so i personally don't mind people using them although i would rather not see it.

5. Laura+Phantom

Laura+Phantom New Member

I have recently been riding Phantom in a mexican grakle for hacking and schooling as he opens his mouth as an evasion, and whilst hacking he can be quite dangerous on the roads when he's panicked by tractors or lorries so it's really important I can remain in control. I find it makes a lot of difference and gives me confidence too. I'll stick to a cavesson when I can however, and he's only in a happy mouth french link loose ring snaffle.

6. Cheeky

Cheeky .Love me, love my horse.

Wow thats great thankyou :)

When you say crossing the jaw to evade the bit .. what do you mean exactly?

7. Emz

Emz New Member

Basically if the horse moves his top jaw to one side and his bottome jaw to the other, means the bit isn't in the correct position in his mouth putting pressure properly on the bars/correct places in his mouth.