Jumping A 3 year old.

Discussion in 'Jumping' started by MajorityRules, Apr 5, 2007.

1. MajorityRules

MajorityRules Wilson

Lets hear your veiws on it. Wrong? Right? Should it be done IF you have the right equiptment? How many times a week? Should they be shown? Whether its low hunter, XC, or show jumping. What are the negitive affects of it? any positive? Have you ever seen a 3 year old jump?

This is just so we can all leave Ali and her thread be. But please, I would like to hear what you all have to say!

But, First -
    No bashing
    NO Inapropriate comments towards another user
    No immature comments (M'kay?)
    don't direct comments at people who are not using this forum, how are they supposed to defend themselves?
    and last..
    Enjoy yourself! you only live once!

Im interested to see the posts :D So, lets get the party started! :D
  2. Fizz

Fizz New Member

i haven't jumped any of my 3 year olds under saddle but they have all had a shot at jumping out of fields etc by themselves:rolleyes:

have free schooled 3 year olds & have left x poles up which they have popped over
  3. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Koumpounophobic?

Can't see the harm in loose jumping over smallish stuff but personally that's all I'd do.
  4. coss

coss Schooling fan

i haven't done it myself but loose schooling over small jumps as an introduction i can't see the harm off, but i wouldn't like to see them going over great heights (or widths) as i think they could get impact injuries too early in their life. it might give them something to play with if they are small and when you do want to start jumping later on they won't get worried as much.
  5. sonnet

sonnet New Member

My views can be seen in the other thread. Any replies to what I have said, please make them here. :)
  6. x.fat-pony.x

x.fat-pony.x New Member

It depends...
    If there is no rider on horses back, and you are leading/free schooling over small crosspoles, then I think it's ok, to get a taste of jumping/variety.

If there is a rider, and the horse is jumping over 1ft/1.5ft, then I personally don't agree with it.
    Saying that though, I have never brought on a youngster, but have been around people who have, and have never seen them jump their 3yo unless it was without a rider and the jumps weren't high :)
  7. Pink's lady

Pink's lady Banned

popping them over tiny x-poles to get them used to the idea - yes. Taking them competition jumping, of ANY height, no, definintly not. And may shows in Britain says that all ridden horses must be 4yrs or over.
  8. Peanut

Peanut New Member

I would have no problem with someone lunging or loose schooling a 3 year old over little jumps. I made a personal decision not to jump my horse at all until 4 - but that's only because I'm not working to any schedule and have so enjoyed each stage of bringing on a young horse without wanting to push on up a level.
  9. Palomino Mare

Palomino Mare New Member

hi, i think i mentioned this in another thread...

At the age of late 3- 4 my horse was jumping 1m30....

He was broken and brought on slowly by his breeder but then sold to a bsja home.

He is a level headed guy, he's about to turn 6 and as a result of his early competition life he just about gallops into the fence and jumps it far too flat, resembles a race horse actually.

I obviously feel that this has been far too much for him to cope with. He hasn't suffered any injuries but his mental attitude is far too confused. I have given him a long break from jumping and he now only does the occasional "pop" over a fence to calm him down.

ETA - i used to own a young mare who was used at a equestrian holiday centre and was jumped in lessons at the age of 3. She was ok with this but had i known that she was so young at the time, i wouldn't of been happy doing this much work with her

amz x
  10. Gothika

Gothika New Member

I've never had or ridden a horse that young, but one of my mares is going to be put in foal and i'm going to be (under supervision) training the foal. However I have brought on several horses aged 4 - 13.

I think I'd personally introduce jumping first free schooling then under saddle as a late 3 year old, not do much, just a couple of times so they get the hang of what it is, no bigger than 3 footish. Then they'd have 3 - 6 months off until they've matured a little more before bringing them back to it and starting to get technical with gridwork. I think (never tried so think) the result would be a confident rising 5 year old ready to go out and compete to a high standard having seen fences early on but not over jumped.
  11. PinkGlamourGurl

PinkGlamourGurl Wont you shine, shine on.

I see no problem with loose jumping them over smallish things. Its when there's a rider on that the problem arises in my mind.

If the horse isnt yet mentally mature enough to cope and has a fall or a sharp tug in the mouth it could be disastorous(sp? :p) IMO I'd never even attempt to jump a 3 year old. Stick it in a nice green field to be a baby before it has to work.

:)
  12. Shadowlark

Shadowlark Tripp and Olly

http://www.newrider.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=108013

Just posting the reference to the other thread being mentioned.

There are 3 good scientific articles there on the development of the horse vs. performance and the creation of a GOOD performance horse.

I live in the land of Futurity.. I see the mass waste of horses going to slaughter being shipped in from all over Canada because they were worked too early. I think I will leave it at that :)
  13. Rips

Rips Active Member

Well its illegal to jump a horse here under 4yrs old - a lot of people argue that because there are 4yr old young horse competitions that jump up to 1m10 (jumpoffs bigger) that the horses should be learning to jump when they are 3... I don't think that's the case.

If you put in the work handling/bombproofing the horse when it is 3, its perfectly easy to back the horse when it turns 4yrs old and have it jumping those heights confidently by the middle/late summer without overfacing it. I've seen it done.
    Also alot of these horses are bred from top class jumpers, once they get the basics down, striding, not spooking! and confidence, the height is of little importance.

Loose-jumping, I don't have a problem with, but I think theres only a certain amount of it should be done. Some of the horses I've seen professionally loose-jumped, are harassed into a chute and yeh, they jump it and they jump it well... but they have the wrong attitude.
  14. laz

laz Member

My horse still hasnt jumped properly yet and he is nearly 6. But that is to do with the rider not the horse. Each horse is different they mature in there own ways and a rider who has excellent position/balance can make all the difference to the horse.

As stated in the other post where the horse is nearly a month away from being a 4 year old, what would people have said if the horse was termed as being 4 instead of 3, i bet there wouldn't of been half as much arguments /bitchiness etc. :p
  15. emlybob

emlybob New Member

Interesting thread open to a good debate.

I used to work for a top producer of young horses (and she won everything) who did jump three year olds a lot and in my opinion too much. They would jump all through the winter of their third year in order to be ready for BYEH classes by the time they were just about 4. Rightly or wrongly this lady got seriously good results and non of the horses were ruined in their training as it was all done very correctly and all jumped very well.

I have a young horse coming up 4 this year. I started jumping him in february time and although he doesn't jump big he jumps once a week. he is very quirky and to give him correct education he has to jump on a regular basis otherwise he loses the plot. May sound daft but he is destined to be a dressage horse, but i want him to jump for fun.

I think the big problem in this country is that serious competitors are put under pressure by all these young horse classes that are about that expect a horse of such an age to be at such a level. However as we all know horses mature at different rates and different ages so it's very hard to put a set plan into place that will work on every young horse.

You may also notice that a lot of these young horses thats have been put under all this pressure to be produced at the tyop of their game as a 4yr old may then disappear and not been seen again, maybe due to injury, maybe due to the fact they have jacked in the job. We won't always know but i will read this thread with interest to see what everyone else thinks. Shame i missed the other thread tho
  16. Elvengirl

Elvengirl Know jumps, know glory!

I think that it is fine and perfectly acceptable for a horse in the better part of his/her third year to be jumped. This depends, of course, on physical and mental maturity foremost and I believe only a knowledgable, experienced, and sympathetic horse person can be the judge of that. I don't think a young horse should be jumped on a regular basis, but if he/she is in a regular, light flat program, it's acceptable to pop the horse around a course or two every so often, or have a run down the chute, if anything just to change up the scenery.

The biggest problem I have is trainers who start the horses young and then pass them on to less knowledgable riders too early. I haven't seen any babies ruined by good trainers starting jumping at age 3 and taking the horses education, say, all the way to the age of 6 before selling BUT I have seen many many MANY babies RUINED because: owner buys a colt/filly, has it started by a pro and then sent home too early because "they" want to do the riding/training or don't have the money to pay the pro to continue. A young horse jumping with an inexperienced or sloppy rider is an accident waiting to happen, and as someone mentioned, one smack in the back or pull in the mouth or wonky distance causing a crash can ruin a youngster. This practice really aggrevates me and I think it is this practice that gives trainers starting horses early a rotten reputation, I really do.

I would never jump a horse at 3, but I would not rule out purchasing a horse who was jumped at 3 by a professional I respected because I'd know he/she had the correct education.

That's my two cents!
  17. Bay Mare

Bay Mare www.maggieslaw.co.uk

With a rider ... wrong ever single time no matter what tack you're using. Physically you're just asking for trouble (refer to the links mentioned above).

No they don't. All horses mature physically at approximately the same rate. Some may be mentally more mature, some may APPEAR to be physically more mature but horses will not be physically mature until about 6 years of age. My friends ID grew 1 hand between the ages of 5 and 7!

Free schooling over smallish jumps I don't have as much of a problem with depending on how it's managed. Horses will leap around in the field anyway. Having a rider on their back, no matter how well balanced, gives the potential for long term damage.
  18. Ali_fewins

Ali_fewins New Member

I'm not going to add my opinion, as we all know what will happen

Just wondering, are we talking about horses in thier 3rd year or 4th year?
  19. EquineGal

EquineGal New Member

I agree with loose schooling over a few small jumps. Not saying that a horse should be out doing 3-day Eventing trials at 3. But it's ok to loose school them.
    As long as the horse is mature enough and capable to handle jumping. That being said I've met a few 5-6 year olds who could use another year out before having any training. It depends on the horse. If they can handle it than, there isn't really any harm.
  20. charlotte+jill!

charlotte+jill! Scoobs the wonder pony

As Ali said........... are we talking about horses in their 3rd or 4th year???

I work at an eventers and we have a horse in his forth year (4 this june i think) and he just started jumping undersaddle 2 weeks ago and has taken everything in his stride........ hes aimed at BYEH I think ....... he'll do some of them and then have the winter off and start eventing next year.

In ireland where its illegal it produces more problems ....... we have an ISH with a passport that has been fiddled so he was jumped in classes a year before he should have........ so not just has he been compeated too young his legal documents have be messed with. But hes in his 6th year and starting eventing this season...... hes mentally quite imature......... personally ive seen alot of differences mentally in horses of different types at different ages. And at work the riders definatly take that into consideration and horses are produced at their own rate....... not pushed. Though i feel possibly event horses have to be more mentally mature when they start than showjumpers possibly.