Lameness Video - Help from all those Eagle Eyed!

Discussion in 'The Shod Hoof' started by Flipo's Mum, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Flipo's Mum

Flipo's Mum Heavy owner of a Heavy

There's a few things DS that have contributed, his weight is a huge factor though so yes you're right. His conformation and the type of trim he was getting are other possible contendors. I'm also trying to do as much as I can to lose weight so he's not carrying such a heavy load. I do think he's feeling better in himself lately, although yesterday when I rode, he was a slug and a bit lame. We shall see if it is just bridle lame. He's on turmeric now for the past week and I'm hopeful. Lets hope there is another vid in six months with a vast improvement! The last thing I need to get checked now is his back. Saddle, teeth, feet have been checked. Friend is getting back man out soon so will get him a nice massage so we can check if he's compensating badly in any way.
  2. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Active Member

I really think that'll help him getting someone out to give him a sports massage, did Shadow the world of wonder when he had a bad back, and it also helps to keep a horse nice and relaxed and any niggles in check.. the chiropractor recommends one every 3 months as maintenance to keep trouble away for my lad
  3. tbaynancy

tbaynancy Active Member

I'm not experienced enough to comment on the lameness issue, but I do think he looks eager and happy to work in the recent video. Well done on the weight loss, FM - do you think you could design a muzzle for me? :redface:
  4. Flipo's Mum

Nancy, when I am successful in making one for myself, I'll be sure and offer you one as well!
    I wonder sometimes if I have more money than sense when it comes to getting things checked constantly, but I'm learning that Flipo tells me in no uncertain terms, when something is wrong, and I really have to listen.....he really is bleeding my wallet dry though DS, but they do say you'd do anything for your children....and Flipo is my big huge child.
  5. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Active Member

Everything is bleeding me dry atm... you know when everything comes to ahead at the same time, and you just don't know what needs doing the most.. one of my Guinea Pig's has a poorly eye, got to go to the vets, Shadow may need a new saddle, think I need the dentist... you know, the usual thing that happens, just as the wallet starts to recover from the last time?
  6. Flipo's Mum

It sucks being a grown up doesn't it DS.:cry: Hope piggy is ok.
  7. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Active Member

The other piggies keep cleaning her eye, they take it in turns, but i'm not sure whether they're just prolonging the issue, some days her eye looks fine, other days a bit weepy, think it maybe a blocked tear duct, been treating it twice a day.. yes it does suck to be a grown up :cry:
  8. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

OH FM you both look great, Can't comment on the lame thing as unless they are dragging a leg behind them I can't spot it I can only feel it riding them!!!!
  9. Tina2011

Tina2011 New Member

I can see he is a tad lame. I would carry on getting more weight off him it can only help. My black pony used to have slight lameness after she had laminitis one year but that showed as a slightly rotated (1mm) pedal bone on X Ray. My farrier put rolled toe shoes on her fronts and she has been fine since. We are still very vigilant about her weight. She goes out in the day but in at night with unmolassed chaff, speedi beet un well soaked hay.
  10. tbaynancy

tbaynancy Active Member

Had to laugh at this - my mom is always telling me I have more money than brains when it comes to my animals. I don't tell her that Rusty has a massage every two weeks :redface: