Parelli program reviews, please

Discussion in 'Training of the Horse and Rider' started by yolandekiel, Nov 4, 2008.

1. yolandekiel

yolandekiel New Member

To those who own or have viewed Parelli programs/series/DVDs can you give reviews?

In your review:
    -give a brief discription & what it contains
    -was the info helpful? was it indepth, step by step or a brief overview? did it give you the info you thought it would? what could be improved?
    -are there some DVDs that you think do a better job than another? (eg. like the level 1 & 2 better than the new Patterns series)
    -are there DVDs in a series that you think are great but not the whole series?
    -production quality?
    -can you give it a rating out of 5 (1-poor, don't buy to 5-awesome)

The list of Parelli programs/series/DVDs:

Level 1 (red cover) program DVD (not available from Parelli store)

Level 2 (blue cover)program DVD (not available from Parelli store)

Liberty & Horse Behaviour (gold cover)

Patterns Series: (combines levels 1-3 & some level 4)
    -On line
    -Liberty
    -Freestyle
    -Finesse

Succes Series:
    -Horsenality
    -Seven Games
    -Safe Ride
    -Natural Rider
    -Natural Attraction
    -Beyond the Round Pen
    -Calm Ride
    -Ride Out
    -Natural Collection
    -Natural Lead Changes

Savvy System: (not available in Parelli store, older level version)
    Part 1 - Partnership (VHS or DVD)
    Part 2 - Harmony (VHS or DVD)
    Part 3 - Refinement (VHS or DVD)

Parelli DVDs (older, not available in Parelli store)
    -"Trouble Free Trailer Loading"
    -"My Horse Won't Go"
    -"Successful Water Crossing"
    -"Catching Game"
    -'"Jumping with Confidence"
    -"Spooky Horses"

Any Savvy Club Issue DVDs that you think are great

The Savvy Club itself, is it worth it?

I think I got most of them, add any if I missed it.

I am really interested in any Parelli DVDs that address fluid riding.

I am not asking for comments about how you don't like or agreed with Parelli as there are enough posts out there to make people aware of that opinion. I am asking for reviews to help make an informed choice.

thank you for your interest & reviews
    Yo;)

2. yolandekiel

yolandekiel New Member

Level 1 (red cover) program review

Here is my own review

Level 1 (red cover) program:

-contains: 6 DVDs (approx. 14 hrs), 7 Pocket guides, Theory guide, Level 2 prep guide, some other stuff

-discription: is an indepth, step by step guide to the parelli seven games, saddling, & starting riding. This is a home study program designed for the backyard horse owner though anyone working with horses can benefit. This is not a specific problem horse solution program.

-my opinion: I really liked level 1, it was well layed out and gave you pointers in the guides of what you may be missing if it is not working for you. It does give you a bit of horse psychology but probably not enough if you are really wanting to get "in tune" with your horse.
    I do not currently own a horse but was able to practice the games on trained Parelli horses and can see the benefits of the seven games. The person who owned the horses had Parelli training and was able to give help that was not in the DVDs like using your own energy by thinking & projecting what you want, ie. how many steps, where you want to go. Also that where your belly button points is where you are pointing your horse. I would recommend that if you are just starting out that you have someone with more natural horsemanship training watch you every now & then.
    It was worth the cost.

-can't compare it to any other Parelli programs/series/DVDs as I don't own any but am definitely looking to improve & learn more

-rating: 4.5/5

Hope that helped
    Yo;)

3. Spoof

Spoof New Member

I am lucky that I have a friend that collects all this stuff. :p

Level 1 (red cover) program DVD (not available from Parelli store)

I prefer the older packs, but that is the type of learner I am. They kept me from getting bored.

2.5/5

Level 2 (blue cover)program DVD (not available from Parelli store)

I liked this one because it talks a lot about how to learn and really goes into overcoming human fear. These first two levels are about teaching the human, not the horse. I still prefer the older level 2 pack for tasks and challenges.

4/5

Liberty & Horse Behaviour (gold cover)

This set compiled the 'finest moments' of all of the previous stuff they'd done including Savvy Club DVD's. Not much here we hadn't seen, BUT, they go very in-depth into the theory. For people with impatience issues it can take awhile to get through these, there is a lot of info on how to learn. Took me three weeks.

4.5 - if you have the new level packs and need some help in areas, or want to have a better understanding of the 'how and why'.
    2 - Repetitive if you are a SC member and have the older packs. A lot of the SC DVD's explore these things far more in-depth.

Patterns Series: (combines levels 1-3 & some level 4)
    -On line
    -Liberty
    -Freestyle
    -Finesse

Just some creative things to do that Pat took out of his head and put on paper
    1 - if you're a creative person these are a waste of money.
    5 - if you're the type that needs constant direction and tasks to feel successful your money will be well spent.

Succes Series:
    -Horsenality
    -Seven Games
    -Safe Ride
    -Natural Rider
    -Natural Attraction
    -Beyond the Round Pen
    -Calm Ride
    -Ride Out
    -Natural Collection
    -Natural Lead Changes

My friend actually won these... but again we'd seen all this on the Savvy Club DVD's she's been getting for years. They just took the best of the best and organized them for you.

If you are having problems with one of these areas, they are good to get, but they do not replace the level 1 or 2 packs.

3 - They're really for visual learners. I had a hard time sitting through them as a lot of it is recycled material.

Savvy System: (not available in Parelli store, older level version)
    Part 1 - Partnership (VHS or DVD)

-How to play the 7 games and use them constructively. Best for people who can learn by reading.

-For me, this is the better of the two (old vs. new). Far more in-depth and provocative than the new packs, but took me until I was well into level two to really understand it as they intended. What could've been improved in this one they've captured in the new ones - stuff for visual learners.

5/5

Part 2 - Harmony (VHS or DVD)

Same as rating above, but really goes into helping you be creative and use the games by giving you far more challenges. Again, not so good for visual learners. You can get lost in some tasks, and this was pre-horsinality causing people some issues. (some of the tasks do not work as described for certain types of horses)

4.5/5

Part 3 - Refinement (VHS or DVD)

Since they don't have a new level 3 out I've been using this. Again tailored to people who learn by reading. I had no clue how to accomplish a lot of the stuff in it until I went to this last clinic. I was told they are redoing it because originally this was tailored to people who started young horses. They are removing some of the stuff like 'get on from the ground' and anything that involves using a flank rope.

I'm still working through it, so I guess I'll give it a 4. It is more difficult to follow than 1 or 2.

Parelli DVDs (older, not available in Parelli store)
    -"My Horse Won't Go"
    VERY good DVD. We loan this one out a lot. Helps all types of people, even if you aren't into Parelli.
    5/5

-"Successful Water Crossing"
    You'd think what this one contains would be obvious, but again, we've loaned it out a lot. I am always stunned at how many people can not get their horse to cross a dry 6" deep ditch. This helps them.

5/5

Any Savvy Club Issue DVDs that you think are great
    I think the original two level packs along with the SC DVD's are the way to go. I have learned something from every one of the DVD's, and as I stated above, they will regurgitate the material from these into packs later on. They are well worth the money spent on them, and we loan them out frequently.

The new ones in particular are very good. I'm really happy with the new format.
    5/5

The Savvy Club itself, is it worth it?
    It's a bit expensive for me, but again, but my friend is a member. I'm not a huge fan of the magazines but some of the DVD's are very much worth it. I'd probably buy them separate.

I am really interested in any Parelli DVDs that address fluid riding.
    Linda is starting to talk about this more now in the SC DVD's. There's a couple from last year that are good, particularly the one where she teaches her sister to sit Remer's trot.

By far the most memorable things I've seen were at the Tennessee tour stop last year. She brought Remer out and did a lesson on him just like she does when she is at home, then taught one of the instructors (was a surprise!) how to collect her horse naturally. It showed so much more than they could ever capture on DVD. The new tour stop format really makes it worth going.

Hope that helps. Nothing replaces the level one and two packs. Everything beyond them just expands on the original '7 games'.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

The driving one he did was a disgrace, poor horses asked to pull a dead weight with collars far too small, and swivel sheeked Liverpools on a pair, which is cruel!

5. Lili & Morgan

Lili & Morgan New Member

Which one? was it a Savvy club one?

Parelli video nerd here. I have bought most of Parelli DVD material, mainly on EBAy, BTW.

OLD Parelli Savvy system: ( all bought from EBay)

[B]Clipping naturally[/B]5/5 does what it is written on the case. Very good.

Trouble-free trailer loading 4/5
    Pat is a bit testosterone fuelled in this one. But very interesting. However I am not convinced it is the only way to teach a horse ...

Successful Water-Crossing 5/5
    Really good.

Discover the catching game 4/5
    It is interesting but I had also good results with John Lyons round-penning technique!

Parelli level 1 red cover:
    4/5 I love it. It is for me a visual learner. I really like Dr Stephanie Burns insight on how adults learns ... excellent! Good filming, quality DVD.

Parelli level 2 blue cover
    5/5 Better than level 1, as it explains better what happens, it is also LESS step-by steps.
    Again Dr Burns insight was very interesting! I use her concepts for home-schooling my son. Plus the part on dealing with fears is really good!

Liberty & Horse behaviour gold cover 2.5/5
    Basically they shot a course done at their centre. So it seems like you are actually part of a live course.
    First part, wonderful, which concentrate on reading horses.
    It was for me the ONLY people who explain in depth what is happening a AND what to do!
    I watch it again and again.
    However the second part of this course is "boring" Pat yakking away bladiblabal bal and Linda showing a demonstration of the 7 games .boh? not really interesting, nothing new. As Spoof wrote, we already seen it on Savvy Club DVDs

Success Series 2/5
    hmmm ... I bough them thinking to find something new ... It is just another presentation of the same ideas.
    I lent them out a lot. It is a good introduction DVDs. I enjoyed the one about Impulsion.

Pattern series 1/5
    These are DEMONSTRATIONS! the finesse one is R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.
    And I really do not like the cradle bridle, I see too many horses resisting in their mouth ... no good.

6. yolandekiel

yolandekiel New Member

wow, thanks

thank you for the reviews, I hope this will help others as well.

I know I was looking at purchasing the Liberty & Horse Behaviour and maybe becoming a Savvy member but the cost is what is holding me back right now.

If I am a visual learner will I have a hard time learning from the old level 2, just considering it since you mentioned it had more challenges. I do like the 'step by step' of the level 1 (red cover).
    Which one would be better at improving riding skills or neither & find the 'sitting trot' Savvy DVD you mentioned.

thanks again,
    Yo ;)

7. KateWooten

KateWooten New Member

This is just about my favourite DVD of all time. I'm not a fan of Parelli, and don't do the levels nor own anything of his (but of course, have watched him a lot on TV and live). However, I thought this DVD was phenominal value for money. It covered his method, at great length, with numerous cases, covered everything that could go wrong... I thought it was very comprehensive and by far the best of any of the trailer loading materials I've seen.

He gets a bit flash with it at the end, but then, doesn't he always - love him or hate him, he's PP !

8. Spoof

Spoof New Member

The one with Linda's sister Yvonne is on # 24 called "Bareback Lesson"

The other one I thought was good is # 26 "Fluidity in Austrailia". Have loaned this one out quite a bit. It goes over flying lead changes towards the end.

Since they've gone to the new format (31, we're on 37 now) they've included at least one finesse task on each DVD.

9. Lili & Morgan

Lili & Morgan New Member

Liberty & Horse behaviour is GENIAL!
    I bought it in special offer : buy the Success Series and get LHB FREE.
    Basically it was 22 DVDs at half price.

I am supposed to help to translate it in Italian for the Parelli organisation. How cool is that to watch again in depth with an instructor, so I can ask as many questions i want : D

Wait Christams, they often have speical offer.

I have to say that I prefer the Parelli material made between 2003 to 2005. I really do not like the new stuff.

But I am hoping that the new level 3 would be good. I have not bought an old one, because it is with video tapes ... I do not own a video reader ....