Rascals new little harness :)

Discussion in 'Other Disciplines' started by popularfurball, Oct 14, 2011.

1. popularfurball

popularfurball Learning all the time

Here is the harness I was talking about the other day. Some of it needs adjusting, but I think it fits pretty well (other opinions welcome!) I do need to adjust a few bits though.

It has cleaned up really nicely, no rusting to the metal and what I thought was mould was either mud or dust or wear of the leather.

All the leather work is stamped B/S at the end of the individual pieces (I took it all apart to clean and ko cho line it). Anyone know what that is? Google pulls nothing back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it's just nasty cheap Indian stuff which could fail at any time. Check it very carefully each time you use it. IT won't stand up to a lot of work.

The white stuff you thought was mould might have been grease com,ing to the surface of the leather. Watch the buckles for hellish razor sharp bits too. They can be a menace.

Having said that, once it's adjusted it's fine to get them going long reining and getting used to the harness. I wouldn't like to trust it in draught though.

3. popularfurball

How do you tell Wally? The cheap leatherwork I've had before is rigid and doesn't absorb ok cho line at all - this is really supple and absorbed the ko cho line well.

It suits us anyway - he isn't even pulling a tyre yet, let alone a cart - still long reining as thats not easy enough for my liking yet.

4. Dannii5691

Dannii5691 Owned by Ponies!

Aww he looks adorable!!

5. holly&mickey

holly&mickey New Member

Awwwww so cute!!!!

I want a little driving pony

6. Flipo's Mum

Flipo's Mum Heavy owner of a Heavy

Its like he's got his new school uniform on and is now ready to for some hard work!! Very cute!

7. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Call it experience, being a saddler and a carriage driver gives you an eye for these things.

8. popularfurball

Yep experience is best way to learn and bring very novicey just wondered what I should be looking for? Tell tale traits of it being cheap? :)

I'm trying to do this right for his sake - under guidance of my ri, his owner (who drives and competes), and sallie walrond books - have been long reining for twelve months on and off and only just progressed to reining in harness - probably too slow but want it done right :)

9. Innocence

Innocence New Member

He looks so cute, i would love to drive Mouse but we ain't even mastered the long reining yet!

10. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Unless you can sit down with good English Curried Harness leather and foreign cured stinky stuff to compare it's hard to explain what to look for.

11. Cortrasna

Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

Media:
    Albums:
    He looks so sweet:inlove: - personally I couldn't say from a photo about the quality of the tack - but would have thought it is absolutely fine for long reining etc?

12. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

It will be fine for long reining and doing light work on smooth tarmac, but I'd not trust it on bumpy surfaces or deep going or grass.

13. popularfurball

I dont trust him in a cart :giggle: I'm convinced if he gets bored he will ditch me :giggle: although he doesn't mind the noise behind him, he gets troubled by something following him! We have a long long way to go yet!!! And I will be getting driving lessons before we go out too :)

14. Lemme

Lemme Active Member

Media:
    I have purchased a good used english leather harness set for Acorn but its not been on yet due to him being out of action since May, bought it direct from a shetland pony driving enthusiast off another Forum and it oozes quality, she drives from Mini to standard and assures me this will do the job -
    we have yet to see - will be next year now - he has had all but the bridle on and it fits well - will just have to convince him to start work again after such a long lay off..............

15. Dawny

Dawny Member

Nothing can beat english leather. many years ago had some smelly Indian stuff and would never use it again!!!!!!!!

Breeching a bit thin prefer a wider band and saddle too far forward. (I think) :unsure:

Lovely looking pony though.:biggrin:

16. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Sadly with ponies like Welshes and Shetlands with big barrels you can't help the pad slipping forwards.

17. popularfurball

Yes, have a look for my saddle threads... Saddles go up over his ears. Very funny. Attacheda crupper and the saddle just takes the tail with it!!