Ridden to Driving bits

Discussion in 'Other Disciplines' started by popularfurball, Feb 5, 2012.

1. popularfurball

popularfurball Learning all the time

Have been looking at bits - but a little confused about how best to change over his bit - trying to make an educated guess.

Currently in a french link full cheek (fixed). Happy is this.

Previous been in a fixed low port Mullen mouth with D ring sides and a loose ring French link. Hated both - opened mouth and reversed to any rein pressure.

Driving bits seem to have a hanging cheek type action though?

2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Unless you are going to enter driving shows just drive him in what he's happy in.

3. Dannii5691

Dannii5691 Owned by Ponies!

Just use whatever he is happy with, we do!! June goes in a single link snaffle and jazz will be started off in a French link snaffle as he has a gob like butter

4. Cortrasna

Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

Media:
    Albums:
    Whatever they seem to like - my driving mare was sometimes ridden in her Liverpool driving bit and sometimes driven in a snaffle and the other way around- usually whatever happened to be on her particular bridle at the time!

5. popularfurball

6. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

I have found things like Liverpools and Buxtons in little mouths is just too much ironmongery.

Wilsons are fine for little mouths, but you have to be careful they don't spin them round just before you do the reins up. We use Butterfly Pelhams on the top ring with a French link. Nearly all our Shetlans told me what I could to with a Liverpool.

Correct pony bits are Wilsons and Butterfly Pelhams, Liverpools if you are in a painted original vehicle. Army reversibles and Buxtons are more for big carriage horses. Less is more for little ponies

The half ring Liverpool is only for pairs and teams.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  7. popularfurball

Yes I was looking at the Liverpool French link and the French link butterfly - both on "snaffle" settings. Butterfly it shall be then :)

8. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

The butterfly is a much dinkier, lightweight bit, not such a gobful for them to lug about.