Riding one horse and leading another - how do you do it?

Discussion in '2005 Archive of Posts' started by DITZ, Jun 8, 2005.

1. DITZ

DITZ New Member

It may become a distinct possibility that I need to take my old horse out with me a couple of times to get my new horse used to his new surroundings but which way round do you do it?

I am assuming ride the old one and lead the new one right? But is there anything else I need to be aware of?
  2. lynz+ollie

lynz+ollie Event rider in training!

the horse being lead also need a bridle on, the reins should be threaded throughtowards you. The leaded horse must always be on the inside. practice in enclsed area before going on roads if possible
  3. tasha

tasha i'd rather be riding.

Ride the slower one and lead the faster one - its easier to check the lead horse then potentially turn his bit inside out if he hangs back.
  4. DITZ

DITZ New Member

yes i plan on trying it out in the field first then i can take him down some dirt tracks where we're not likely to come into contact with any traffic either.
  5. Tootsie4U

Tootsie4U New Member

Lead horse should neck rein well - so you have a free hand to use on the one you're ponying. Its also a good idea to have the Lead horse completely despooked of ropes at his hind end (possibly getting tangled in them too) and pulling things behind him.

I'll be doing the exact same thing once Im able. Im really hoping it'll help Bonfire calm down on the trails.
  6. Mossy

Mossy New Member

Echo above. Ride the one you are used to. You might want to consider upping your bit a level if there is any doubt in the brakes department. A light bit for the led one. I use a Happy mouth mullen loose ring as the angle of action is different from ridden or led from ground. Boots all round and lots of hi viz. A short whip is useful just in case of disobedience. When you are ready to go on the road, take ownership of it. You have a wide load with 10 legs and three brains. No squashing into the kerb, ride the ridden horse down the middle of your side of the road and keep the nose of the led one by your knee. If you want vehicles to slow down or stop, TELL THEM SO!, and say thanks afterwards. Often the sight of one rider and two horses stops car drivers in their tracks anyway! [That does include police cars!:D ] I find it easier to ride one handed, one hand for one horse, one for the other. Start off walking and as your confidence increases then get more adventurous. As you get more used to it you may feel ready to swap neds halfway round, giving the new one confidence being riden with it's nanny along for support. Lastly relax and enjoy. I go miles ride and lead.. In fact it feels odd sometimes to only have one horse!
  7. DITZ

DITZ New Member

OK I'm confused. :( Do I bridle them both and thread the reins through the bit rings to the inside for the led horse or do I put a lead rope though the bit rings? I assumed it would be a lead rope attached in the same way as you would if you were lunging?
  8. berties-girl

berties-girl Falling off hurts

When i was a polo groom, many moons ago now, we used to ride one and lead 4 , 2 on each side (once i remember leading 6 but that was mahem) the polo ponies where used to this becasue we did every day twice aday, the ride horse would have normal tak the lead horses would have bridles with no reins and a lead rope clipped to the outside ring of the bridle and thread through to the inside for us to hold or they would just have halters on.
  9. Tootsie4U

Tootsie4U New Member

Ditz, Im assuming you're talking about "ponying", right?

Over here, the lead horse (the one you're riding) is in full tack and the one you are ponying is in a rope halter and long lead rope. You steer the one you're riding with one hand and hold onto the other horse's lead rope with your other hand. If you're not quick enough to take up the slack in the rope as the pony'd horse gets closer, the rope will/can drag or hang by the riding horse's flank. Therefore, your riding horse needs to be accustom to all that commotion.

You can pony the other horse in full tack as well, but its not common here because as has been said, you have more to worry about with the bit and reins.
  10. Sophini

Sophini New Member

Was going to suggest this to you earlier....

I would start by riding your old boy first as you know he will behave but once you feel that the grey has settled and is going nicely off your legs it may be that you can ride him and bring the other along for company if there is no-one else to hack with.

I used to ride and lead lots for fitness work and didn't always ride "the fast one" as you can end up with the lead horse trying to drag you backwards :rolleyes: just make sure that the horse you are on is not going to spook and do a quick 180 or you will find yourself in one almighty tangle (and in my case have to smile sweetly at the patient driver trying to work out how to pass me and ask them to untangle you :D )

A couple of useful butprobably silly points - be very careful if you have to signal as you will have all your reins in one hand and if one horse spooks the other could get jabbed in the mouth. Make sure the horse being led doesn't bite or eat leather (sounds silly until your breastplate gets chewed!!). :D
  11. diplomaticandtactful

diplomaticandtactful Well-Known Member

Ditz

while I know some folks do this successfully, I think you are asking for trouble to try it with a brand new horse.

while my two cobs are turned out together, there is no way i would even lead them together, as Rosie would have a go at Molly and there would be a fight and end up with a loose horse.

I tried to lead two together once, they fought, had a squeal and kick, and I had to let one go, plus it pulled all the tendons on my hand, so had to have a brace on for three months!

really really think about this before you consider it.

if you end up with new horse loose, even in a field, who knows what could happen, i would only attempt it with a couple of very quiet horses who really know each other and your new boy hasn't made friends yet.
  12. Mossy

Mossy New Member

Put the bridle on the one you are leading, as usual.
    Take the reins, over the head as though you are leading from the ground. stand on the off side and thread both reins through the bit ring nearest you.
    you will have the near side bit ring with it's usual buckle attachment, and the off side with the rein attached to the bit AND the other rein going through the ring. that puts the reins the correct side for leading Have a play it is easier than it sounds. If you do not lead in a bit and bridle, chances are you will not be insured.
    I ride the slower horse when ride and lead my two. Whatever you do have practice first. It takes confidence and mental strength.