Scared to ride my own pony in new yard..

Discussion in 'Confidence Club' started by liz_scarlet, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Roxy's Mum

Roxy's Mum New Member

:dance: Good work!

2. Nimbus65

Nimbus65 New Member

Yay for you! Know what, though, I hope what you've taken away from this thread is that you are far from alone - if we move Kal at the end of July I may very well be in your shoes! I've no idea how well (or not) he will settle . . . but I will have plenty of supportive friends and trainers around and I know we can get through it . . . and I know you can too!

Keep updating us on your progress - we love to hear how you are getting on.

N

3. sjp1

sjp1 Well-Known Member

Yay!!!! Well done. I think groundwork has an amazing effect. Hard to believe when you start it what a difference it really makes, just the you move your feet, not you moving mine. I do still slip from time to time. I think I must be quite a helpful person, so sometimes I do move for Tobes and then think - NO, I am boss, HE must move!!!

Shetlander - the course I went on was one of Cathy on here's, but she seems very hard to get hold of at the moment.

4. liz_scarlet

liz_scarlet New Member

I think this is why i'm enjoying this forum...at the yard everyone is settled, had their horses a good few years and did feel like i was the only one having these problems. It is comforting to know i'm not alone...makes me feel less of a failure/disaster :biggrin: I guess its also easier to write about things going wrong that talk face to face with the people who saw it happen and who may be judging you.

Who knows a few years down the line i might be able to help someone in my position having gone through all this :happy:

5. fairlady

fairlady New Member

Fabulous, and thats exactly how the riding world should be:wink:

I think sometimes we are quick to think people are looking and 'judging us' whereby in fact I think sometimes people look and think 'blimey I remember
    being there with such and such' lol.

There is no doubt in the horseworld, people who like to give 'advice' and then there are those that genuinely offer help because they have experienced what you are going through at this particular time.

I remember owning my Arab and he was on box rest for 3 months due to
    an injury sustained at a very new Yard. Took my Dad to see him and
    he didn't 'recognise him' as my usual laid back Gelding, he was huffing and
    snorty and totally on his toes, lol, I was DREADING having to get back on
    him:bounce:

When out initially on limited turnout I used to take him out and about in
    hand so that he could 'see and experience' our new riding area and he
    was actually a 'doddle' when I got back on him, I had boosted it all up
    in my head out of all proportion tbh.............THANKFULLY:bounce: