Solo hacking questions

Discussion in 'Confidence Club' started by Pencilbeckett, May 20, 2011.

1. Pencilbeckett

Pencilbeckett New Member

Ozzy was so sluggish on the way out and really forward on the way home will try some half halts. Am off again tomorrow :)
  2. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

When I got Ziggy he would rush for home every time. Not jogging but walking faster than a sewing machine. He wouldn't stop no matter how hard I tugged on the reins.

Two things helped:

(1) Time and repetition and getting to know the area and trust me;

(2) Clicker training, so he would stop whenever I asked. The act of stopping seemed to break the vicious circle and make things easier altogether.

Interestingly when we were away this week he repeated this behaviour once, when he was stressed, tired, and his feet were sore. He wasn't trying to be bad, he just desperately wanted to get home. Clicker worked again but I still have sore arms!
  3. pepsimaxrock

pepsimaxrock New Member

I wonder what bolting is?

I think Max bolts for home. On a hack, he looks for any reason to spook, spin round and head homewards... I have tried all sorts of things to stop him ,mostly suggested on this site. Getting off, not getting off, loose rein, tight rein, one rein.... he can still get me unawares, and unless I get off, will canter homewards.
    He even does this in company, when he has been asked to go in front.

So bolting - is my otherwise perfect pony one of the very very few - or is it just my inadequate riding skills?
  4. Mr Ed

Mr Ed New Member

Can't offer any great advice PB, as I don't hack alone at all :redface: I just don't like and I don't feel safe, but that's just me. Stupid as Ed is fine... however, he's 15 this year and my lack of hacking alone doesn't seem to bother him (young girl at our yard took him out the other week on her own, he was fine :wink:)

Just wanted to say well done.. From reading your recent posts you are doing so well :biggrin:
  5. Ruskii

Ruskii Well-Known Member

I hack alone as well, the only person I hack out with is my hubbie. At my current yard I have plenty of people to ride out with, but I'm shying away from that as I find I prefer the freedom to do my own thing, not have to have a conversation with anyone and go at whatever pace I want when I want. Not that I don't like the people, it's just I prefer to do my own thing and time on my own is a rare thing these days, especially when it's just me and my horse.

ALL the horses I have had over the years have suddenly found a bit of energy when heading home. So I don't bother about it, having said that I've never had any rush home and me worry about, current Mr Cob will suddenly recover from whatever illness he is suffering from when heading out, and miracle cure appears and works when he pointed in the direction of home :rolleyes: But I find this more so when he hasn't been ridden for a while. When he is ridden more regularly he is more forward going heading out and the same heading home. Quite often though the last .5 of a mile I'll get off and walk with him as sometimes to get home the route I take includes going up a steepish hill and I get off as I like to give him the rest. But when I say they rush home, I mean they'll do a more active walk or go more willingly into a trot heading home. None have ever bolted for home :unsure: :toucheswoodfrantically:

Another thing is sometimes I will do a whole hack out in walk. If we are getting a move on and want a faster hack, no problem I just work on him walking more efficiently and more active using him backside properly, quite often when I ask for this he'll go into a slow trot as this is easier for them to do, but if I use my seat to 'block' the trot he'll do the working walk a lot easier as he knows that's what I'm after.

Like anything though with animals, the more you do it hopefully the better it will get ! :)
  6. natural horse

natural horse New Member