Spenger Bits: Ultra vs Traditional

Discussion in 'Training of the Horse' started by Stella2, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Stella2

Stella2 New Member

I can find very little information on the diiference in effect between the traditional Sprenger KK and the newer Sprenger Ultra KK. The Ultra has a losenge that 'tilts' forward in the mouth and I understand that the mouthpiece is finer (although it seems to come in 4 thicknesses 14mm, 16mm, 18mm and 21mm).

My young green horse has been schooling in the traditional Sprenger KK, full cheek. He's coming along slowly but he tends to lean. My instructor feel that its time to move to a loose ring and in doing so I'm thinking of trying the Ultra. I've looked for some kind of review comparing the two models but I can't find anything. I have emailed Heather at the bit bank about this in the past, but she always just rcommends her own 75% copper content bit Nue Schule and doesn't really answer the question. No doubt she gets so many enquiries that its difficult to give detailed respones.

Anyone here have any relevant experience to share?
  2. Laura+Phantom

Laura+Phantom New Member

I'm not an expert, but I thought it was just that the lozenge or link in the kk ultra is tilted at a 45 degree angle.
  3. Stella2

Stella2 New Member

Yes, but why that development, I wonder and I understand the mouthpiece is thinner.
  4. Laura+Phantom

Laura+Phantom New Member

I've just had a look, and this is what it says in my derby house catalogue:

"KK Ultra: After analysing the horse mouth Sprenger have altered the angle of the link by twisting it by 45 degrees. This ensures that when the reins are pulled the rounded link rests fully on the tongue without squeezing it. This takes advantage of the tongues extreme sensitivity to touch and clear instructions are given through the reins."

It doesn't say anything about why they're in thinner sizes, probably again to make them more comfortable for different size mouths.
    Hope that helped!