Strangles in the area

Discussion in '2002 Archive of Posts' started by karen Parsons, Feb 19, 2002.

1. karen Parsons

karen Parsons New Member

I notice from a recent visit to my Countrywide Store that a dip is outside because Strangles is in the area. What exactly does this mean?

How does it affect Horses, and how is it passed on?

Is there anything I need to do. Our Horses are about 8 miles from the Store where the outbreak has been notified.
  2. Murphs

Murphs New Member

this is what i've read elsewhere...

strangles can be passed on through touching a horse with it and then touching another.Horse with strangles should be isolated.They will have thick snotty noses,will struggle to eat,and then develop abcesses under the chin area which are not pleasant to deal with!!These need to be hot fomented to bring out the pus.One person should deal with these horses and any clothes,body,brushes rugs buckets ect should bekept seperated and be disenfected asap.
    many horses are treated with antibiotics but this can cause bastard strangles (excuse the rude word but this is the name) which causes abbcesses to form inside the horse and can be life threatening.

there is a newsletter on the bhs updates page www.bhs.org.uk but currently bhssite is proving difficult to log on to - keeps asking for a network password.

hope this helps
  3. myEllie

myEllie Guest

I would recommend getting your horses vacinated against strangles. A couple of years ago there was a horse out at our barn who they thought had strangles, so all of the horses had to get vaccinated against it. As it turns out he only had an absessed sinus, or something like that, but it is better to be safe then sorry.
  4. Lgd

Lgd New Member

Strangles vaccines are not available readily in the UK, I believe thay are not licensed here and have to be imported. Apart from that a lot of horses get severe reactions to them and the immunity developed is often not good enough to give decent protection. I looked into this a couple of years ago when strangles was around in our region.

Ponyvet might know more about the situation and the areas affected. I'm aware of cases being reported in Leicestershire, Lancashire and Yorkshire (not sure where in these areas).