Supplements

Discussion in 'Metabolic' started by Innocence, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Innocence

Innocence New Member

What is the best supplement containing Magnesium, zinc and copper? Mainly looking for magnesium though and all the other essential vits and mins.
  2. Lot1983

Lot1983 New Member

3. learningcurve

learningcurve New Member

4. Yann

Yann Guest

Pro Hoof is a good bet :)
  5. popularfurball

popularfurball Learning all the time

pro hoof, forage plus or equimins metabalance :)
  6. I think hoof mender has all those :)
  7. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Why can't i find a supplement that does everything, provide all the vits and mins and prebiotics and probiotics for good gut function without putting on weight and be a good price!.
  8. whitby which

whitby which New Member

Metabalance:dance:
    All the vits and mins, no iron, lots of quality pro and prebiotics.

Can't remember the price, but it isn't bad.

And no alflalfa or soya either:smile:
  9. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Don't horses need iron or am i missing the point?
  10. popularfurball

Generally, uk forage is high in iron so no need to supplement - this is what I was trying to explain above about going just what is missing, not giving a broad spectrum - you wouldn't give vit c tablets to someone who eats 30 oranges a day and a kilo of carrots... Similar principle
  11. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Where can i buy Metabalance, i can't seem to find it on their website.
  12. popularfurball

You have to phone to order it - it is the same as advance concentrate or whatever it is called, but without the iron.

I think forage plus supplemenmight work out a bit cheaper
  13. popularfurball

You have to phone to order it - it is the same as advance concentrate or whatever it is called, but without the iron.

I think forage plus supplemen might work out a bit cheaper
  14. Innocence

Innocence New Member

£38 a tub for 5kg which is not going to last long as you need to feed 100gms a day per horse!
  15. BabyBear

BabyBear New Member

I used the equimins advanced stuff - not the metabalance one because when I enquired about it they told me I didn't need that one and should just buy the off the shelf advanced stuff.

Truth be told I never saw a difference in ponys condition despite it being a proclaimed wonder supplement.

I still have loads left but have now switched to Kossolian Blood salts as pony tends to need a pick me up as the weather gets warmer. I *think* that has all the elements you need in it although I'm also possibly going to add some micronised linseed for coat/hoof quality.
  16. Yann

Yann Guest

Most pasture and forage oversupplies iron by quite a long way - mine certainly does. That's not an issue in itself, but having excess iron in the diet, and adding more via uneccessary supplementation can prevent adequate absorption of copper and zinc (and manganese, but that's often quite high anyway). If they're already at low levels you're making a bad situation worse.

If you want to operate on a budget it's probably better to buy mag, copper and zinc as seperates (from the same people who do the Pro Hoof) and feed alongside some linseed meal and salt.
  17. Innocence

Innocence New Member

My head hurts!

So what are the differences between, Pro Hoof, Hoofmender, Metabalance, Farriers Formula, complete 365 etc Bloody supplements make my mind boggle!

I just want a product that does everything i need without adding weight and supports good gut function, although i do feed fast fibre which has pre/pro biotics in it.
  18. Yann

Yann Guest

What's in them :D A lot of the 'off the shelf' supplements and balancers are quite low in copper and zinc though, even if they have plenty of other goodies in them, for instance it looks like a 500kg horse on Farrier's Formula would be getting 92mg a day of copper and 250mg of zinc, whilst the feeding rate for Pro Hoof for example is 175mg and 550mg.

The only way to really know how much is enough is to have your grass and hay analysed which isn't cheap, so it's probably a case of trying one or two different supplements and seeing what makes a difference and what doesn't.
  19. Innocence

Innocence New Member

I enquired about metabalance and they say they only normally supply this for horses who are insulin deficient, i can see i will have to buy seperates at this rate.

If i did buy seperates like mg, zinc, copper, linseed, brewers yeast, what do i do about the vits? and the pre/probiotics?
  20. Yann

Yann Guest

Nothing in my case, not sure how necessary it really is to add vitamins and prebiotics if they're getting plenty of fresh grass and decent quality hay and chaff. I do add lysine though, as our hay is a bit short on it compared to the RDA and it's important for muscle function.