Tom Thumb Wilkie Bit

Discussion in 'Tack & Saddlery' started by Mollymoo26, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Mollymoo26

Mollymoo26 New Member

I dont know much about these bits someone suggested me trying one on my supper strong mare who is currently ridden in a simple snaffle.

I dont know much about these bits and I am just wandering what they are and do. There is a lot of bad press about these bits on the net :confused:

2. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

3. Mollymoo26

Mollymoo26 New Member

4. carthorse

Personally I'd just try a loop snaffle with her normal mouthpiece to begin with. How's she strong? What does she do? Sometimes (not always!) horses that are labelled strong are just unbalanced &/or weak behind &/or uneducated - in these cases then a stronger bit isn't the best answer.

5. Mollymoo26

Mollymoo26 New Member

Hi Cart Horse I have tried the loop snaffle it was if I was riding her with fresh air I had NOOOOOOO control. She can get very strong in canter I have posted before she is a very nervy horse and if spooked tends to tank and I need something more than a snaffle for some breaks. I know bitting up is not always the answer but I am too doing lots of ground work with plenty of lunging and schooling (circles, half halts etc). I will continue to use her copper snaffle bit in the school. Its just that I feel like I have no breaks out hacking she can fizz up in open spaces I will not use a gag, bristol or waterford.

6. Mollymoo26

Mollymoo26 New Member

7. carthorse

If the loop/wilkie snaffle didn't work because she went too light (dropped the contact?) then I'd guess the gag action isn't the right one for her. That would also rule out the tom thumb bits as they're a type of gag.

I'd try a pelham with two reins. I'm a huge fan of these as they allow you some control over what action the bit has - you only have to use the curb rein when you need it. I also find many horses are accepting of the curb action where they try to evade a gag action.

8. Mollymoo26

Mollymoo26 New Member

I have never ridden double reined will try the pelham I wander does it come in a sweet iron as she hates metal bits.

9. carthorse

I don't know Mollymoo26, I've never looked because I've never needed to. I'm sure you'd get one in Happy Mouth, if she likes that, but I don't know if that would be too mild for her. I also know you can get them in hard rubber, but the mouthpieces are very thick & that's uncomfortable for some horses. Or you could try wrapping a metal one with latex bandage http://www.bitworld.co.uk/ourshop/prod_787175-Latex-Bit-Wrap.html.

Two reins are a lot easier than they look, you'd soon get the hang of it!