Transport (rescue horses)

Discussion in 'Transport and Travelling' started by Stormin, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Stormin

Stormin New Member

To all of you who have transported your horses from abroad - do you always use a transporter or have you done the transport yourselves ?

Especially those who have rescue/meat horses from "mainland Europe", I think there are a few of you on here. How did you ship them to you ?

Thanks

2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

You'd have to speak to Frances, I can't remember the name of the chap who transported Charlot. When we export we use John Parker International.

3. notpoodle

notpoodle Well-Known Member

i would have said john parlker as well

4. Stormin

Stormin New Member

Actually, I have an underlying question ... please don't be angry at me but I know alot of people buy their horses from faraway places (some places being further away than others) and I'm just wondering about value of horse vs transport costs.
    In horse's value, I'm not talking sentimental value but market value (hence being particularly interested in the rescue cases here as I think they're not sold for much - please correct me if I'm wrong of course).

RL example, trainer buys QH in Canada under mare. Then pays 3 years livery and breaking in fees. Horse is shipped from Canada (via the US quarantine) and ends up in mainland Europe.
    When you add up the lot, is it really worth fetching the particular horse from so far afield when you could find equivalent/better value for money closer to home ? OK, so sometimes it isn't possible to find what you want nearer to home ...

5. Monika

Monika New Member

Hi Stormin.
    My girl came from continental Europe and the transport was £470 in September year ago. She cost me 900 euros. I think she was pretty cheap and I have unexpected filly as well. It was get two for one.:)
    I can pm you details of the transposter if you would like. I was very happy as Niki came so relaxed. I will use him again if I will move back to continent with my girls.

6. Stormin

Stormin New Member

That's true, 2 for the price of one. How is your filly btw ?
    Will PM you me thinks :)

7. Monika

Monika New Member

Both girls are fine, thank you.
    Just getting through weaning. Both are apart 8th day today and settled well. Stella is called Vihar now (that means storm in Hungarian- half of my family is from there:)). She is growing well and changed to black now.:)
    That' s her nearly month ago...
    [​IMG]

Can I just ask you where do you live now (if it isn' t secret)? Just saw GMT+1 in your location and I am guessing Europe (Spain, Italy poss. Germany).
    I miss Europe so much!!!