wee update on Rusty and I - one small step forward!

Discussion in 'Confidence Club' started by tbaynancy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. tbaynancy

tbaynancy Well-Known Member

Quick recap:
    - broke my left foot in Oct
    - cast finally off end of March
    - result: very little riding during that period and now that cast is off, I'm so crooked that my back hurts to ride :(

Am seeing a chiropractor to straighten me out - no instant results, but I'm not giving up. Have decided to focus on groundwork with Rusty (RI cleverly observed he does not see me as the leader and it is not normal for your horse to have his ears back and try to bite you as you lead him around).

So today in the arena there were a bunch of cones and jump standards and poles, so I made a little course for us and - after some hesitation - we made it around twice perfectly. This is a big deal for me and I think will help our relationship. Gave him lots of praise and promised him I would not buy him the cupcake turnout rug :giggle:

2. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Oh well done you! And I'm so pleased you had a REALLY BIG reward to hand :giggle:

3. Flipo's Mum

Flipo's Mum Heavy owner of a Heavy

:dance:Determination mrs - you have it in bucketloads! Keep at it, am so glad you're seeing some results. I found it so damn difficult getting back into the saddle after three months off during the winter so I can only imagine how tough it will feel after breaking your foot BUT you can do it!

4. tbaynancy

tbaynancy Well-Known Member

Thanks Jane and FM - only people on this forum can understand what a big deal this is for me. I think OH believes I'm doing the stuff he sees on TV when I make him watch a horsey event. If only he knew..... :giggle:

I can't wait to go back tomorrow after work and try again.

5. nat17

nat17 Minnie, Sam and Dolly

This is a great post Tbay, lovely to hear you are making progress with the handsome Rusty.. keep up the good work and you must post more about your progress...it makes us all feel good to see another NN coming through:wink:

6. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised you are feeling pleased! What a good achievement, given the amount of time you've NOT had chance to ride etc etc. I know I soon lose my mojo both ridden and in-hand if I go too long for any reason without riding. I remember you breaking your foot - what a horrible experience - and must be so frustrating too!
    Nice to hear an update - keep up the good work!!! (And naughty Rusty having his ears back, I would def go buy him a cupcake rug now on that basis!!!)

7. CMP

CMP Active Member

Well done to you and Rusty! :biggrin:

It is hard to get back into it after a break. I will be looking forward to more updates :biggrin:

8. juliecwuk

juliecwuk Well-Known Member

Awww that's lovely to hear!!

Groundwork does wonders for relationships!