what fresh veg can horses eat?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dummer&Drummer, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Dummer&Drummer

Dummer&Drummer New Member

i just read someones thread who said they give their horses parsnip and suede. my horse has only ever had carrot or apple. what else could i give him as a tasty treat or something to mix in his food???? anything i should bare in mind health wise re any veg?
  2. eventerbabe

eventerbabe Well-Known Member

mine get apple, carrots, parsnip, turnip. they love getting a whole turnip and knawing their way through it.
  3. Perfect Pony

Perfect Pony New Member

shadow gets, apples, carrots, parsnip, turnip, we gave him cabbage last year too but he didnt like it!!!
    :D
  4. saldec

saldec Banned

Mine get:
    Carrots,
    Apples,
    Turnip.

But they hate bananas :) They just spit it out of there mouths, so funny to see :D
  5. Dummer&Drummer

to be honest, i thought banannas were like poisioness to them, not good for them - i not sure though, that is just wat my old RI said once

could i buy a whole turnip then and just put it on the ground, or maybe in their field if they had one each - does it take them ages to eat it or just like half an hour or something - be something different for them??
  6. dcp

dcp New Member

Is it ok for their teeth. Ok probably silly questions. Sometimes if I give Charlie a whole carrot he finds it difficult to bite it. would a whole turnip be the same
  7. hApPiNeSs

hApPiNeSs & Sharman :)

i dont know if she is suppossed to have it, but happy loves melon and cucumber :D

i think carrot, apple and turnip are the best ones to give though :eek:
  8. Dummer&Drummer

laurenc - i know the answer to that question - it should be fine for their teeth, probably good for them - horses should manage a large whole carrot - they have an extra set of teeth at the back of their mouths i believe as well as the front :)
  9. The Flying Irishman

The Flying Irishman New Member

Silly question but are you supposed to peel the turnip or do they eat it with its skin on - same re parsnips :D
  10. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Ours love the odd banana, not often but a bite each never hurt.

Horses can cope in moderation with most things we eat, but in moderation. Too much turnip will give then the squitts.

My friend in Germany gives them grapes.
  11. dcp

dcp New Member

Charlie isn't keenon bananas but loves oranges. I don't feed them too often though because they are quite acidy.
  12. Holly B

Holly B New Member

I've read that racing stables in France regularly feed their horses oranges in the same way that we tend to feed carrots and apples.:)
  13. chickflick1066

chickflick1066 New Member

Well I used to feed an array in her dinner but found she spat them out and ate them at the end so she doesnt really get anymore.
  14. sidesaddlelady1

sidesaddlelady1 New Member

The WH loves swede. A client at the yard gives hers celery - an expensive hobby I feel! During the war when "proper" feed was scarce they fed potato peelings to horses among other things but I don't think I'd do it now.
  15. LMS

LMS New Member

I've read that nightshade vegetables were to be avoided.

My neighbour though asked me if horses were allowed to eat pumpkins as my mare Heidi found the ones in her garden & started munching on them.
    Does anyone know if it's ok? I tried looking it up on the net to no avail.

LMS
  16. sidesaddlelady1

Bananas are very high in potassium and sugar so probably better in small quantities. But not poisonous I wouldn't think. The WH doesn't like them at all - which is odd because I don't either. A lot of things in common, my horse and I.

A propos of nothing very much - Banana skins are very good for polishing scuffed brown boots.
  17. sidesaddlelady1

As in potatoes and tomatoes? Interesting. All the green bits of both are very poisonous at least to humans so I wouldn't risk it with a horse.
  18. sidesaddlelady1

Probably better to cut large carrots into fingers as horses can choke very easily
  19. xXSundanceBayXx

xXSundanceBayXx xXx.The ex Noggin123.xXx

also never cut carrots into rounds but cut lengthways. it lessens chances of choking.:)
  20. arabianknight

arabianknight c0W bOi On ThE rUn

turnips, eh?

so, i was just wondering....:eek: yet kind of embaressed...but i'll go ahead....what are turnips?:eek: lol:D :eek: i saw an image of them on googles images but didnt recognise them!