What made you decide to take the plunge..

Discussion in 'Mature Riders' started by nelle, Jun 28, 2006.

1. nelle

nelle Member

.. into horse ownership?

My share horse is lame and her owner is talking about retiring her as she is getting on a bit. That leaves me totally horseless and as I have lessons on my share too.

I'm now debating whether to get my own, but there is no room at the livery which is literally next door to me so I would have to look further afield.

Anyway what made you decide to buy your own and have you had regrets? Also what level of experience did you have with regards to horse care and riding ability.

Thanks
  2. dcp

dcp New Member

What made me want to get a horse? Mmm lots of things. You know if I am honest probably not the right reasons.

I didn't know a great deal about horse care either. I used to have a friend who did teach me a bit as I helped her with her horses but her general understanding of horse behaviour etc was way off. Thankfully I didn't pick that up. There is always plenty of wanted and unwanted help at livery yards.

If you want to get a horse you have to ask yoursefl the questions what do you want to achieve with your horse, your riding ability, do you have the time etc. Also getting your RI to help you choose a horse.
  3. capalldubh

capalldubh New Member

I'm in the same boat as you, I think. Share mare is now 18 and has a touch of COPD, so wheezy. She's also been off sick for three months - I have had a lovely three months, because I decided that not being able to ride was a great opportunity to learn all about working with a horse on the ground. But at the same time, I really miss not being able to ride out with my friends.

So - I've just started looking for my own horse. I've had three months crash course on how to look after a sick horse, with 12 months before that of how to look after a healthy (but occasionally rather grumpy) horse. Now I feel I'd like being the one in control - make my own decisions about where my horse lives, how it is handled, what it is fed, when to call the vet, what tack to use etc. etc.

So I think I'm about to take the plunge. I'll keep posting over the next few weeks - I'll be really interested to hear what you decide too :)
  4. Nookster

Nookster Active Member

Main question i asked myself. Can i afford too?

The answer used to be know - so much so i carried on with helping and loaning. Old loan horse came up for sale - which i never thought would happen. Checked finances - yes it could be done. Went a head and bought my boy.

I didn't need to worry about knowledge luckily as had learnt that from previous shares / loans and helping out as well as learning to ride at my local riding school.

So for me its always been can a finacially do it. And have spare for vets etc
  5. Nookster

Nookster Active Member

One question:

If your looking at buying your own because horses on loan/share have become not able to be ridden. Then whats to say that won't happen with your own horse that you purchase and what will you do then?

I bought my boy knowing he has bad legs and tendon injury. Touch wood hes been sound with careful management but i know the day might come when he might not and might not be able to be ridden. Yet he will always stay with me and in my care.

Will you do this for your horses? seeing as you not for the loan horses?
  6. capalldubh

capalldubh New Member

Nookster -

The share horse belongs to somebody else. I don't have the option of looking after her long term. That's what I mean about having control over what happens - if my horse does have a long term problem, I can decide what to do, I don't have to wait for somebody else to make all the decisions.

When I get a horse, I'm deliberately buying one that will fit with my age - I plan that we should grow old a creaky together :D - but obviously not for a few years...
  7. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Media:
    What made me take the plunge into horse-ownership? Well, firstly, I have been mad about horses since I was old enough to say the word "horse". Secondly, OH and I had been having lessons (lots of them) on a yard that actively encouraged you to learn about the horse - not just lessons. In fact, the old yard we were on helped us no end, they helped us find our first horses - and gave us enormous support in the early months. Had it not been for their help and encouragement I'm sure I'd have come unstuck on more than one occasion! I've never ever regretted it - its been the best thing to happen to me ever, OH even agrees with this!:D Now, my ultimate goal, to get them home living with me, happy and settled. Watch this space.....:)
  8. CrisO

CrisO New Member

I'm currently sharing but am considering getting a horse in about 6 - 12 months for the following reasons.

More control over when I can ride, the owner can only ride at weekends so I get weekdays. In the winter this means we never see daylight.
    Would be able to compete (partly related to point 1)
    Control over the horses care, I would be able to decide when the horse goes out, is stabled etc
    I have had my own horses when I was younger and found I worry much more about someone else horse than my own.
    I feel quite insecure as I have grown very attached to my share horse but he could suddenly be taken away from me e.g. the owner moves away. Even moving to a different yard not accessible by public transport could be an issue.
    All the things people have mentioned about control over handling tack etc. It's fine if the owner is fairly experienced but if they are not can be tricky to help with seeming to interfer too much.
    I got a pay rise which means I can now afford a horse. I would still get a sharer to help with keeping it fit though.
  9. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

I had my boy on 12 months loan while his owners moved house.

Not getting attached, not getting attached, yeah right. 12 months was up and I asked if they'd sell, they said yes and I bought him, and that was a very long time ago. He's long gone to the vast hay meadow in the sky, and I now have errrr, about 25 horses!
  10. breeches

breeches No talent, but tries hard

:) there is nothing like having your own, once you have bought it, the costs are the same as loaning.
    If you buy well, you could also sell for a profit. You are free to do what you want.
    Its like buying your first car, its yours and yours alone to do with what you please.
    i like it
  11. Bozzy

Bozzy Formally Becca120

I had my last boy on loan for over two years having had a break from horses prior to that, his owner then wanted him back so I made the decision to buy my own :)
  12. Dummer&Drummer

Dummer&Drummer New Member

i got into riding one day unexpectedly, i was shopping with a friend one thursday and she said she felt like doing something different, so we booked a riding lesson for the saturday, she never turned up and ive been smelling of horse poo ever since :)

best thing ive ever done and never looked back esp if you have the right horse

i never had much experience, none actually :eek: but had lots of experienced people on hand 24/7
  13. c2b

c2b New Member

I had very little experience of horse care but a fantastic support network of experienced horsey people at the ready. My system is simple....I know what is normal for her on a day to day basis..if anything deviates from this I ask someone, even if I think I know the answer.
    My friend finally helped me take the plunge. I am so so pleased I did. I love every single moment. It is always 2 steps forward and one step back which can be a tad frustrating but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    The biggest hurdle......after cash....finding "the right" horse for me. At one point I began to think my aspirations were unobtainable, but eventually I found the right one. I can't believe how far I have come in such a short time.
    I got the biggest boost last friday when her previous owner came to visit and told me I had done a fantastic job with her she looks great. :D
  14. Lgd

Lgd New Member

I'd worked PT at a riding school/stud since my mid-teens. Had wonderful training opportunities that you don't get at most RS. They subsidised my training to be an instructor and let me work with the stallions, mares & youngstock, which included in-hand showing of the youngstock and starting off the ridden horses and taking their training on.

Fell in love with a pretty little 7/8 TB filly I was showing in-hand and twisted the stud owner's arm as I felt she had too much potential to be 'wasted' in the riding school and wanted to get more into the eventing side of things. Persuaded him out of her as an unbacked 4yo - said filly grew into a strapping 16hh Peri and ended up as an Advanced dressage horse - Go Figure! :D

Tavia was bought for my niece when she outgrew her pony - I acquired the ride when she went to Uni.

Peri has just produced me a beautiful filly foal back at the beginning of May - so now the gang is back up to 3 again.
  15. Peace

Peace pAin't Nobody's Bidness

I was getting tired of never knowing which horse I'd have lessons on. I know, learning to ride a variety of horses makes one a better rider. But I just wanted to learn one horse well.

Then I fell in love with Quanah, who was totally unsuitable in retrospect for a first horse. But his owner was going to sell him to a little girl for a first horse to be kept alone on her farm. He would've been even more unsuitable there, so I bought him. It's working out pretty well, too - I knew going in we'd both need lots of lessons and that's turned out to be true.

With Bram, I bought him because I wanted him to be able to retire from being a schoolhorse and just take me for short relaxing hacks a few times a week. He deserves a good retirement, having restored my confidence and taught me how to ride.:)
  16. raggydoll

raggydoll Hattie & Bimble

I bought under very similar circumstances to you nelle, my share horse was sold very quickly and i was left wanting to carry on hacking out like i had been so decided to buy. I didnt have much experience and had only returned to riding after a long gap about 6 months previously but live in a very horsie village and got my self a good instructor and became obsessed with this site and asked as many questions as i could of everybody and i still am :rolleyes: I dont regret it for a second :)
  17. Little Dolphins

Little Dolphins New Member

I came back to riding after a LONG time, discovered how expensive lessons are round here, so thought I needed to buy my own horse as I wanted to ride more often,wanted a horse since before I was born (feels like it), and went for it, age 49. I thought, well, it's gotta be this decade, not the next! I had also saved for 25 years....and it's all gone now....!!
    Complete novice at looking after a horse, have learned loads in short time. The most important factor is the brilliant yard I'm on, with assisted DIY, meaning that I get help if needs be, and lots of helpful people. Horse still alive and apparently thriving-phew!
    If I'd read too many books about child-rearing, totted up the costs to purse and emotions, I'd never have gone in for having children! But I did and I'm so glad.
    So, make a plan, find a good yard, set a time limit for yourself like: "If this doesn't work 6months down the line, I can bow out."
    Good luck, whatever you decide:)
  18. Lucyad

Lucyad New Member

I shared (same mare as capalldhu who took over for me during maternity leave, and after that we had 3 way split!) for 3 years. I didnt mean to wait so long to buy but got on really well with share mare, and her owner, so the arrangement worked well. I felt really bad getting my own and 'leaving' share mare, but as her owner pointed out, I did answer her add saying it would only be short term!

The main advantage of having my own is just getting to choose him, and the idea that he is all 'mine'. TBH, share mare's owner let me do pretty much whatever I wanted, but I wanted a horse who I could bring on to encourage me to get lessons and improve myslef at the same time, who I could develop along with. I also had a bit of a problem in that I moved specifically to have my horse at home, but share mare is banned from my neighbour's field after a bit of a run-in with his favourite gelding!
  19. notpoodle

notpoodle Well-Known Member

ive been wanting a pony for 20 years or so (parents could never afford one!), so i thought (rather foolishly!) that it was now or never! added to that, no riding schools would let me loose on the little ponies so i figured it'd be best to get my own :D

ive been riding for some 15 years though (and am still rubbish ....) and had loaned and shared in the past. there was a couple of years gap though before i re-started and i realised quickly that lots had changed! all these fancy new things and methods etc.

and I frequently make a twit of myself by simply not having a clue of what's going on, but i'm learning. i hope!

Julia
    x
  20. nelle

nelle Member

Hi - yes I'd say very much in the same boat by the sounds of it. I've had a great 10 months with my share and did all mucking out, feeding and turnout during the winter so I'm confident that I know what to expect on that score. My share has been lame before and had a month off during November last and is now off again with the same leg but it seems to be worse this time. Owner is getting scans done but because of her age has warned that she may just retire her.

But I know exactly what you mean about being in control - at the moment I'm having to take a step back and let her owner take over again and make the decisions whereas she hardly turned up at the yard from one week to the next so it has been difficult although we both want the best for the pony.

I haven't yet made the decision to buy, it mostly depends on if my share recovers. But I'm mooching around like a lost soul (or so my other half says) and am really missing it. Look forward to hearing about your horse hunting - good luck and keep us updated.