What qualifications do you need to be a qualified riding instructor?

Discussion in 'Exam Training and Careers' started by gemsy, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. gemsy

    gemsy New Member

    Question in the title!
    Thank you!:D
  2. Fab filly

    Fab filly New Member

    good question.....id like to know that too....and also if you can do it part time/evenings?
  3. Jackblack

    Jackblack New Member

    check out the BHS website, they have all the info there, takes a while to be fully qualified so make sure it is something you want to do
  4. gemsy

    gemsy New Member

    do you have to do it through the BHS?
  5. *Solo's Mum*

    *Solo's Mum* Solo and Bella

    there is no official qualifications NEEDED but alot of people prefer the BHS standards on the RI's
    someone do correct me if i am wrong.
  6. karsteine

    karsteine New Member

    You have to take you BHS stages, then move on to road safety course...i'm doing mine this year at Moulton College.
    As for part time it depends on the college but i'm doing mine part time.
  7. Sunshine-x

    Sunshine-x Well-Known Member

  8. jennywren07

    jennywren07 Active Member

  9. Elly Koopman

    Elly Koopman New Member

    You can go through the BHS stages (1, 2 & 3) then take your PTT + teaching hours to get to AI. OR you can go through the ABRS, or do NVQ's. I'm not sure if it is the case now, but you used to be able to work through the pony club tests (D up to A) which you could then transfer to BHS so you only needed to take the PTT + hours.
  10. Jessica23

    Jessica23 New Member

    Im sure i did mine through my riding club... The BHS tests, but the Riding Club sorted it all out and sent a group of us to do it. It was a long time ago, but i cant remember doing it myself lol

    I hated teaching with a passion and only did it for a couple of months... But good luck lol
  11. rgbilyeu

    rgbilyeu New Member

    depends first off which organization you wish to be qualified through.

    both the BHS and ABRS are the big ones. NVQ students go through on or the other if they want teaching under their belt as there is not a straight nvq programme that offers teaching.

    BHS is more widely known, but the ABRS being that its soley riding school and training oreitated has more of a focus.

    if you really want that piece of paper the abrs is cheaper, and more hands on then the bhs. but if you want to move about easier generally the bhs is where you want to head (you can always pull out your guidelines and show exactally what you have been taught if all else fails. )

    also there is nothing wrong with having both sets under your belt

    i am abrs biased. but have been trained both. i prefer the abrs system as its alot more hands on to me then the bhs system
  12. Peaches

    Peaches New Member

    If you are interested in a more classical approach there is also the Heather Moffett EE training, but not sure how that stands in the whole run of things - and never had a lesson from one so can't say anything about that. Just thought I'd mention it as it is another option...x
  13. gemsy

    gemsy New Member

    thank you everyone for replies. i am just thinking of a few different career options, not as a riding school instructor but as an independant instructor as i guess its possible to make a good living this way. or am i wrong??
    how long does would it take to become qualified and cost? what does each modual involve? any info would be great.x
  14. chris22

    chris22 New Member

    I think you would find it difficult. You would really need to have your BHSAI and insurance to be freelance. The plus side of riding clubs and schools is that they can offer work all year round. Freelance instructors charge more but often have no work especially in the winter. A couple of our pony clubs and Riding clubs use freelance instructors but they have different ones every month so work can be intermittant, also to be really sucessful you need to have made your name in the equine world people like to have someone teach them who has acheived something themselves
  15. acw295

    acw295 New Member

    What do you mean by "good living"? Not being funny, it is just I couldn't live off it and have a horse. Most RI's I know teach as a sideline, they can't live off it and keep horses unless they have family help, an OH with more money or a second income stream.

  16. trotter26

    trotter26 New Member

    Too right! I gave it up full time when realised that most instructors working on yards full time past the age of 30 are broke and disillusioned! And the free lancers struggle to make ends meet as people think nothing of cancelling an hour before hand :rolleyes:

    I now have a full time 'proper' job and teach a few hours at a riding school and do the odd bit of freelance stuff :)
  17. rgbilyeu

    rgbilyeu New Member

    if your serious about teaching get enough experience under you then apply for college positions as instructors and lecturers.

Share This Page