Where to go for driving lessons in Suffolk?

Discussion in 'Driving' started by Innocence, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Innocence

Innocence New Member

My daughter is reluctant to ride our shetland because he can be a little fast and she isn't the most confident.

So i thought i may try my hand at driving him but want to know where to go for lessons and also where to begin teaching him to drive?
  2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

3. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Yes he is, well about an hour away but worth a shot for some advice on what to do to get started.
  4. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

He's one of the best there is. Start with him and you won't go far wrong
  5. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Cheers Wally! :biggrin:
  6. laceyfreckle

laceyfreckle Active Member

valley farm also do lessons in driving

http://www.valleyfarmonline.co.uk/

have no idea how good they are though.

Let me know if you do book something up or want some company as i'd like to get piccolo going under harness soon(ish) she's been long reining pretty well and has worn a harness but that is as far as we have got.
  7. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Ooo definitely, my sharer wants to get into it aswell so we could do a day trip out! Mouse has been long reined but he hates wearing a crupper. I know nothing about harnesses so don't know if this will be needed or not!
  8. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

If you have him in a full collar with a pair then you can get away without a crupper, sadly for singles it is a very important part of the harness, False breeching could be the answer, but it's really only for the flat show ring and no use with any hills.

What kind of crupper are you using ATM? a change of design could be the answer. Is it too tight?
  9. Innocence

Innocence New Member

It was a saddle crupper and it was padded at the bit that sits under his tail. He hates anything sitting under his tail. He had never worn one before therefore it could be something that he needs to get used too. I only tried it the once to stop the saddle slipping forward, but i sorted out that issue and stopped using the crupper.
  10. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

You really need to have a crupper, you could try using just a 3 fold flat , soft leather crupper, rather than a thick padded one, he ought to get used to it for safety's sake. A pony that is fussy round his back end won't make a rally safe driving pony. That's why carriage drivers never worry about the back ends of horses! ;)
  11. Innocence

Innocence New Member

Ok i will work on him and see if i can sort out his issues. He is only 5 so still young enough to learn that it won't hurt him.
  12. Dawny

Dawny Member

Perhaps incorporate lots of gentle tail handling while grooming. Lifting etc warm crupper and hands a must!