Working Horses Barefoot

Discussion in 'The Barefoot Hoof' started by KarinUS, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Gimp

Gimp Gimpy Gimp Gimp

thats just evil :stomp:

2. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

That is indeed evil.

3. Joyscarer

Joyscarer New Member

My thoughts are that maybe these horses are kept off grass so their diet can be more tightly monitored to avoid sugars and starches and make the feet more predictable in their performance.

I'd rather be on a barefoot horse on Tarmac than on a booted or shod horse because it's grippier.

I guess if the extra time and faff required to boot when it is necessary isn't a problem then why not?

4. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

See, I do not agree with a barefoot being grippier on tarmac. I have seen our unshod ones leave 6 foot skid marks on tarmac when they shied at the neighbour's hose across the road in a scary and terrifying manner. They fall in the marts on the concrete floor all the time if not handled carefully.

5. Joyscarer

Joyscarer New Member

Maybe Joys unusual in that then? Having gone back to shoes with 2 roadnails on each she's back to being less sure footed going down hills on roads again but just as forward as ever off road going down hills which makes me think it's purely down to terrain.

My perfect senario would to be barefoot on roads (with hooves that grow enough to replace the wear) and shod (a handy button in the withers to activate the shoes and retract them when not needed!) on our flinty off road tracks and fields.

6. Lot1983

Lot1983 New Member

My experience is that barefoot is grippier on tarmac, less grippy on wet concrete and less grippy on ice but better in snow.

7. Yann

Yann Guest

Unshod horses will slide on smooth surfaces if the frog isn't making sufficient ground contact, usually because the heels are too long or it's in poor condition.

Probably depends on the horse but I find boots have plenty of grip on the road compared to shoes, we can trot happily on sections where I'd only walk when shod. I know if I had a horse working for hours on end on the road every day, pulling a carriage or whatever, then I'd be looking to do what the Houston Mounted Section do too.

8. popularfurball

popularfurball Learning all the time

I also find bare better than shod on our terrain (pennines) for grip.

Im not sure how much time out a police horse would have - I wonder if they are predominantly in as even if they aren't on the streets, they are schooling etc