PDA

View Full Version : Happy Wheel bit

eventerbabe
3rd May 2007, 11:26 AM
Anyone used one of these? i'm keen to back kez bitless and i have a hackamore but was wondering what peoples opinions were on the happy wheel? ta :)

Pink's lady
3rd May 2007, 12:39 PM
Never used one but they're selling them at Robinsons on sale for £20............

eventerbabe
3rd May 2007, 12:53 PM
Never used one but they're selling them at Robinsons on sale for 20............

yes, that's actually what prompted my question :D can't resist a bargin, especially if it might be more useful than the hackamore.

martini55
3rd May 2007, 12:55 PM
I think No_Angel has used one (sorry if I am mistaken) but it might be worth dropping her a pm :)

showjumper-zoe
3rd May 2007, 02:11 PM
Never used one but they're selling them at Robinsons on sale for 20............

Yes I saw that. I think the idea/design is quite good.

jowyles
3rd May 2007, 03:30 PM
I just bought one oops slip of a few fingers on the keyboard :P so will let you know hopefully it will come one saturday.

Jetstreem
11th May 2007, 06:51 PM
I got one recently, and I really like it. It feels just like riding with a normal bit, but I found my horse really reached down into the contact and went very nicely. The only thing I found a bit difficult was the steering, but then my horse likes to disappear off in whatever direction he chooses anyway, but I think he found it easier in the HappyWheel. But I definately give it a big thumbs up!

Cerys :)

jowyles
11th May 2007, 07:04 PM
Thumbs up here to but all the instructions in german! Dexter had no problems steering or anything in it :)

eventerbabe
14th May 2007, 07:25 AM
Thumbs up here to but all the instructions in german!

i know! i ended up ordering one but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Luckily i share an office with a german chap and he translated everything for me!

jowyles
14th May 2007, 09:57 AM
Lucky you lol I just had to kind of look at the pictures and go from there, it works well how ive fitted it but I didnt get the other option for putting the reins on, the one where theres just a big line across the bit??

Mehitabel
14th May 2007, 10:00 AM
how does it work? i'd always want to back in the simplest and most basic bridle possible - i normaly start in a cavesson with reins, then double reins with cavesson and snaffle, then just snaffle. if i weregoign bitless i'd start with a scawbrig - not an english hackamore, which has the poll pressure i dont; want on a baby.

jowyles
14th May 2007, 03:13 PM
It acts upon the chin and nose, which you can vary in strength, I guess it may have some poll pressure but only if you had it adjusted in a certain way that the wheel would turn so much when the reins are pulled, tho in the instructions it does say it works on the neck :S. I was quite impressed with it but im not sure I would break in in one as it still seems quite harsh which is why I felt ok to hack out in it.

sammyantha
12th Jun 2007, 02:40 PM
I bought one from robinsons but it's HUGE and I can't find any smaller ones for sale anywhere :0(

jowyles
13th Jun 2007, 07:06 PM
Yeh they are massive Dexter has a big shire horse head and its fitted on the tightest hole on him I tried it on my friends cob and it could have gone round twice! They only said horse size on robinsons site.

sammyantha
15th Jun 2007, 12:58 AM
Gutted! I've found the LG bridle which is the same thing, but it's in america and it's 50 odd quid as opposed to 20. Ahh well.