PDA

View Full Version : What veggies/fruits can horses eat?

QuarterHorseMac
22nd May 2004, 02:37 PM
Hello!!!
What kind of vegtables and fruits can horses eat?
Thanks...

virtuallyhorses
23rd May 2004, 08:18 AM
If you do a search you'll find all sorts of interesting things that people feed their horses ... for many fruits and vegetables - quantities are important. I happily feed my horse the odd mandarin or bit of bread but I wouldn't make them the basis of his diets. :)

or click here to view my treats webpage (http://worldzone.net/recreation/virtuallyhorses/treats.html)

AJB
23rd May 2004, 09:19 AM
as well as usual carrots and apples, try pears, parsnips, turnips, swedes (not sure if you have them in the US??)...my mates horse likes the occasional banana although mine spits them out, corgettes and oranges on occasions as well as marmite and peanut butter sandwiches at shows!!!!...just dont feed potatoes or too much bread or cake;)

aphagirlie05
14th Jun 2004, 03:31 PM
The other good thing to give your horse is horse treats, which we call cookies, so wouldn't they be horse biscuits for you guys? I'm confused on that one! LOL! Anyways, our horses love gatorade and soda of all kinds, along with apples, carrots, Nique likes to steal french fries from the kids (just don't let her have to many), Funions, doritos, jellybeans (just never a lot). The only problem with soda is that you can't give it to your horses at show grounds because if they drug test your horse will come up positive for caffeine. :p

PridesAngel03
15th Jun 2004, 06:01 PM
Now you know we don't normally feed our horses jellybeans, doritos, and/or funyuns. Nor do we purposely feed them french fries. The ONLY thing we feed are "Nicker Snax." They have occassionally "grabbed" a treat of oatmeal cookies, ice cream sandwiches, doritos, and the forementioned fries. You aphagirlie05 are the only one to feed jellybeans! LOL

Y'all have a GR8 Day and Happy Trails!

Blondy ;)

aphagirlie05
15th Jun 2004, 07:58 PM
It was your idea though! :D

QuarterHorseMac
19th Jun 2004, 09:08 PM
our horses love gatorade

Lol! Are you serious? Gatorade! Lol...

The only problem with soda is that you can't give it to your horses at show grounds because if they drug test your horse will come up positive for caffeine.

Lol...

swedes (not sure if you have them in the US??)
No..I dont think we do...

The ONLY thing we feed are "Nicker Snax." They have occassionally "grabbed" a treat of oatmeal cookies, ice cream sandwiches, doritos, and the forementioned fries

Lol...

The other good thing to give your horse is horse treats, which we call cookies, so wouldn't they be horse biscuits for you guys?

Yup!

Thanks everyone!!!!

Elvengirl
23rd Jun 2004, 03:48 PM
My horsey LOVES grapes and bran muffin with raisin in it. He also likes gummi candies, but I don't think they are good for him, he just steals them from me.

QuarterHorseMac
23rd Jun 2004, 05:25 PM
Hehehe

WhiteIceGem
24th Jun 2004, 05:19 PM
While we're mentioning weird things our horses have eaten....

Thistle quite likes ham sandwiches, she has stolen half of mine on several occasions (when i have been absent-mindedly eating my lunch whilst grooming her....)
Spike drinks lukewarm tea (Milk and two sugars or else i end up wearing it)
Midnight will eat anything apart from twiglets, spat them out and curled her lip!
Misty likes fruit chewy bars, especially the raisin ones, but she won't eat raisins on their own....
Baby is a fussy bugger but her party trick is holding a 500ml bottle of coke in her teeth and downing the bit that i've left for later... (see thistle)

Mad bunch!!

whitestallion10
27th Jul 2008, 09:46 PM
my hores smokey will not eat apples but he will eat apple wayfers:confused:

vikkig
27th Jul 2008, 10:09 PM
i feed mac most veg and fruit however i dont feed him raw potatoes due to starch however he does love a chip butty and i was told off today at a show for letting him eat chips.

he has been know to eat bacon sandwiches, spag bol, ham sandwichs basically anything you dont hide from him, the best was the garlic sauce from the chippy straight from the pot.

he LOVES chocolate and if you are eating chocolate around him and dont give him any he will snot all over you until he gets it.

coss
27th Jul 2008, 10:20 PM
my friend's horse like fish and chips :confused:
i feed, broccoli, carrots, apples, nepes (are they swedes, turnips or is a nepe a nepe?!). tried banana but they didn't like that

Shian89
28th Jul 2008, 05:03 PM
horses aren't really supposed to eat fish and bacon etc.....as they are vegetarians and their digestive systems are not made to digest meat! :confused::)

coss
28th Jul 2008, 08:22 PM
horses aren't really supposed to eat fish and bacon etc.....as they are vegetarians and their digestive systems are not made to digest meat! :confused::)

this is true... don't think my friend gave her horse fish and chips - think he nicked it :p not something to be done on a regular basis ;)

marli@missi
28th Jul 2008, 08:45 PM
Swede hung up in stable they love keeps them occupied as well, mine luv em as well as all veg and fruit not potatoes x

vikkig
28th Jul 2008, 09:33 PM

mac steals food and will drag me across the yard for food, i have never intentionally fed him meat but if i am not careful whilst eating my bacon sandwich on a morning he will be over my shoulder and eating it.

natasha109
28th Jul 2008, 11:46 PM
Tommi likes,mint aero,nik nak crisps,biscuits and loves apples and carrots :D:D

Double C
29th Jul 2008, 10:57 AM
Charlie Farley is a fan of cheesy Wotsits. lol =D

He loves his apples, carrots, pears, tangerines and cherries with the stones taken out. He also picks off the blackberries when they are in season. Thats funny to watch =D

Then he has purpleish reddish lips and likes to send his love with bit sloppy kisses lol. =D

And I have to warn anyone who eats chocolate near him to make sure its fully away from him as he will steal =D big thief he is lol.

I knew someone who used to bring in four chocolate chip muffins every morning and she would eat two and give her horse two. And then they used to share orange juice, lol.

Speaking of which, he also loves Orange juice, Fanta, Apple juice and cranberry lol ^___^

What we feed these horsies, lol =D

TessetGanzi
17th Aug 2008, 09:23 PM
Charlie Farley is a fan of cheesy Wotsits. lol =D

He loves his apples, carrots, pears, tangerines and cherries with the stones taken out. He also picks off the blackberries when they are in season. Thats funny to watch =D

Then he has purpleish reddish lips and likes to send his love with bit sloppy kisses lol. =D

And I have to warn anyone who eats chocolate near him to make sure its fully away from him as he will steal =D big thief he is lol.

I knew someone who used to bring in four chocolate chip muffins every morning and she would eat two and give her horse two. And then they used to share orange juice, lol.

Speaking of which, he also loves Orange juice, Fanta, Apple juice and cranberry lol ^___^

What we feed these horsies, lol =D

Organza has stopped mid canter to pick blackberries, and i can reach the high up ones for me from her back, happy munching!!
BUT, where I live in swFrance we are in the middle of vinyards, was warned never let her have any grapes or she'll break the fence to get at them every year..deer come right up to the field whilst nicking grapes..must be frustrating for our pones..sirprised they havn't caught on!

Liz1949
19th Aug 2008, 10:57 AM

Try telling that to Icelandic horses at home in Iceland ...

JustJas
19th Aug 2008, 11:41 AM
Jazzmyn eats polos but not minty horse treats. She loved a jam doughnut she stole from me...

cinammontoast
30th Aug 2008, 10:31 AM
Tried Beau with bananas this morning-what a face he pulled! Spat it straight back out but still wanted it and kept spitting it out! I'm gonna put carrot and apple juice in his feed sometimes cos he loves both! He's mostly getting carrots as they're cheap and we're broke! LOL!:D

*taz*
30th Aug 2008, 10:55 AM
mine loves broccoli and cabbage!!! he rolls it round the floor taking chunks out of it!! :p

he also eats apples, carrots, swede, parsnips, pears, doesnt like bananas!! spits them on you!:p

allroundergirl
19th Sep 2008, 04:03 PM
We used to make a 'soup' for the horses at my old stable. We but peaches, pears, apples, carrots, bananas, leafy things (lol lettuce or cabbage), parsnips, and more! the horses loved it! some dribbled stuff on the floor though, but o well!

Lynnmac
25th Sep 2008, 11:09 PM
barney loves both bananas and oranges - both peeled though - he drools over them :D:D:D

Kay2
26th Sep 2008, 12:26 PM
My boys love melon which they first stole from the chickens and one especially really loves bananas incl the skin. Also when stabled overnight in winter they get carrots and parsnips in feeds plus some apples to bob in their water buckets which my rescue pony demolishes in about 10 seconds - so much for being a boredom breaker LOL! I also hang up turnip in their stable. Pears given as a treat.....been mugged for my tea and toast while admiring the view one lovely morning....not this summer obviously....hahaha!
My vet said ok to feed them pretty much any fruit or veg but not in huge quantities.
Chocolate, horse treats, vegetable scraps put out for the hens....they will eat anything if they get a chance to try it.....basically I think my lot are all just rather spoilt dustbins on legs.....LOL.

CrisO
26th Sep 2008, 12:39 PM
We used to make a 'soup' for the horses at my old stable. We but peaches, pears, apples, carrots, bananas, leafy things (lol lettuce or cabbage), parsnips, and more! the horses loved it! some dribbled stuff on the floor though, but o well!

Have you see the Equiveg stuff - its sugar beet with Veggies in it and you soak it like sugar beet.
Looks a bit like cuppa soup when it's soaking and you reminded me of it when you mentioned soup.

inca
28th Sep 2008, 09:25 PM
my friesian mare will try and pinch almost anything, she loves celery, carrots turnip ,apples ,cloves, anything edible!! any type of sandwich that you happen to be eating, she once pinched a breakaway biscuit and went absolutly bonkers about 5 minutes after eating it bucking and kicking ,she barged her way though the electric fencing(which was switched )off after me, trying to find another!!!

susannah_x
30th Sep 2008, 10:11 AM
mine once stole my whole lunch when i wasnt looking, which involved sausage roll, hula hoops,( yes, he opened the bag), orange inc. peel, yum yums, and strawberry yogurt. he had the yogurt all over his muzzle in a bit of a naughty child denying they'v eaten all the chocolate kinda way!!!

Jen_e_Jen
30th Sep 2008, 12:43 PM
Jackson likes Blueberry Muffins, apples, anything w/molasses, anything I have to drink,lol, strawberry nutri grain bars, peanut butter granola bars. He's very nosy and if you're eating it he thinks he should be able to try it.

wonkeywoody
30th Sep 2008, 05:05 PM
Ours eat all fruit n veg (except spuds). Bananas and oranges with skins are a favourite - they make funny faces when given lemon! Water melon is good fun for them to toss about too! Oh and they are rather partial to raw corn on the cob complete with leaves!

We have been mugged for fish n chips and pizza before now!

Jorel S
1st Oct 2008, 01:07 PM
swedes (not sure if you have them in the US

for anyone who wonders i have a friend who is american and on exchange over here, the american name for swede is Rutabaga (i think thats what she said) and courgette is zucchini :)

abisheridee
30th Nov 2008, 10:28 PM
Swede hung up in stable they love keeps them occupied as well, mine luv em as well as all veg and fruit not potatoes x

my old horse was the only one i knew that could eat a whole swede in about 30 seconds :):)

EquineCompare
3rd Dec 2008, 06:49 PM
Most horse’s love fruit and vegetables, which can help to add extra calories to the horse's diet and make the feed more appetizing. Try your horse with:
Carrots
Swedes
Turnips
Potatoes
Apples
8kg of apples is supposed to be equivalent to 11kg or Barley or 1/3kg of oats so you could reduce the grain and replace with fruit and veg to save some money :)

ThirdTimeLucky
3rd Dec 2008, 07:00 PM
She loved a jam doughnut she stole from me...

I used to use jam dougnuts as a way of sneeking bute in to my old horse hehe. she always fell for it. Make a little whole, tip the bute in near the jam, present to Flori. gone. lol. But if you put swede in her feed she would leave the whole feed!!

Kali used to like hob nobs and custard creams, stolen from my YO at tea time. Come to think of it she would eat anything, she LOVES bananas, strawberries and pumpkin!! (all in small amounts)

sillywhippet
7th Dec 2008, 04:28 AM
Shetland loves coke, Ruby loves TimTams, but only the plain ones, she wont touch them it they have funny fillings, tebbybear biscuits and wont touch apples at all.

VicckkyF
3rd Jan 2009, 11:43 AM
i know it sounds weird but i once gave my pony hamster food ??? :)

hannah_xx
3rd Jan 2009, 12:20 PM
afew years back, there use to be some horses in a field at the end of my friends road we went to got and see them and on the way got some jelly sweets from the ice cream man..one of the horses pulled them out of my friends pocket and ate them!..luckily we managed to notice before he ate the little plastic bag! lol

Snowyboy
3rd Jan 2009, 07:50 PM
Snowy can smell a hoola hoop a mile off - he goes beserk for them! He has broken off from the tie (bailing twine) to run to the bin to rummage!

Current pony - will do anything for a polo! He loves carrots, swede, parsnip, apple and brussel sprouts but he will not eat cauliflower for love nor money!

He is a choccie stealer! I had a toffee crisp and had opened it and was holding it whilst explaining a course to someone - and pony stole it! He loves choccie - we dont feed it to him but if you turn your head for a single second, he'll steal it from you! He makes this mega cute noise to ask for it :rolleyes:

pantha
28th Jan 2009, 11:17 PM
Hello!!!
What kind of vegtables and fruits can horses eat?
Thanks...

Hope this can help you:)

Odd Things that Horses Eat:

Oddities often consumed by horses on pasture.

No problem, assuming fairly limited quantities and otherwise balanced ration:

• Dandelion
• Thistle (NOT Russian Knapweed or yellow star thistle–Centaurea spp)
• Sunflower seeds and plant
• Peanut plants
• Raspberry/blackberry bushes
• Wood/bark of most trees (NOT Prunus spp or black walnut or locust)

Potential problem if eaten in large quantities:

• Buttercup
• Morning glory
• Pokeweed
• St. Johnswort
• Gum-weed
• Astragulus and Oxytropis spp/(vetches and locoweed)
• Avocado leaves
• Bracken fern
• Most bulb type flowers (tulip, iris, etc.)
• Wilted red maple leaves
• Acorns/new oak leaves

Avoid at all costs (Lethal or severe toxicity potential)

• Lily of the Valley
• Larkspur
• Tomato or potato plants
• Rhubarb leaves and roots
• Poison hemlock
• Foxglove
• Leafy spurge
• Mustards
• Jimsonweed
• Alsike clover
• Blue flax
• Sorghum (Johnsongrass and Sudan grass)
• Oleander
• Privet
• Japanese Yew (all Taxus spp)
• Azalea
• Rhododendron
• Mountain Laurel
• Pits of peaches, cherries, or avocados
• Horsechestnut
• Russian Knapweed or yellow star thistle–Centaurea spp

Potential Treats
Perfectly acceptable treats (fed in limited quantities (1-2 lbs/feeding)

• Carrots, apples, grapes
• Bananas
• Peas
• Green beans
• Lettuce
• Celery
• Dried beans, such as pinto, red, fava (however should be cooked or heat treated)
• Watermelon rinds
• Squash
• Mangoes (not the seeds)
• Raisins
• Bread/bagels/cake (NOT if they contain chocolate or poppy seeds)
• Pasta, macaroni
• Potato chips and potato products…(do not give raw potatoes to pregnant mare it is toxic……gives them blood poisoning).
• Rice products (not raw rice)
• Barley products
• Corn products
• Dairy products
• Eggs
• Fruit juices
• Hot dogs, hamburgers, tuna fish, ham or even roast beef sandwiches!
• Most dog and cat foods
• Zucchini
• Watermelon
• Parsnips
• Pumpkin

Beware large quantities, but probably acceptable in very small amounts (<2 to 4 ounces/day)

• Cabbage, broccoli, kale, chard, collard greens, brussel sprouts
• Spinach
• Rhubarb stems (NOT the leaves or roots)
• Garlic and onions (large amounts may cause anaemia) When lower doses are consumed on a regular basis, or Large amounts are consumed this may cause anaemia...(the same goes for onions.... to much can cause anaemia).
• Turnips
• Radishes
• Avocado (NOT skins or seeds)
• Lathyrus spp. beans (India)
• Sunflower seeds
• Sugar candies such as jelly beans, gummy bears, peppermints, etc.

Safe in very limited quantities BUT WILL CAUSE POSITIVE DRUG TESTS

• Morning glory plants
• Sassafras
• Willow leaves and bark
• Yucca
• Tobacco (consumed, not inhaled)
• Valerian root
• Carrots in very large quantities only (over 5 lbs day)!
• Persimmons (seeds also may cause impaction)
• Chocolate in any form
• Liquorice?
• Cinnamon products
• Nutmeg
• Hot pepper/chilli flavoured products (Nacho chips, etc)
• Non-decaffeinated coffee or tea in any form
• Caffeinated sodas
• Alcoholic beverages?
• Some dog/cat foods (Beware “bakery waste” as an ingredient-may contain chocolate)

Summary:

There are obviously a wide range of things that our horses may enjoy consuming, not all of which are good for their health. Many horses would refuse to even sniff many of the items listed above. Knowing which potential treats are safe, at least in limited quantities, is important for horse owners. You never know what might be offered to your horse!

Elly Koopman
21st Feb 2009, 09:31 AM
Rosie drinks cold tea (sugar no milk), lager, ales (but not stout!), won't touch juice :p

Doesn't like bananas (which is just as well as they are not actually good for horses as contains too high a potassium level), loves swedes, apples, carrots etc.

And goes nuts for codlivine treats :rolleyes:

Just be aware with things like cabbage that you don't feed too much as they can cause urinary tract issues

Treacs
21st Feb 2009, 07:42 PM
Following on from various strange food stuffs, also please forgive me if I sound like an uneducated idiot, but I was always taught that potatoes are highly toxic to horses in any form especially if they're raw. :confused: Not that many people would feed 'raw' potatoes but you know what I mean. :p

old_woman
21st Feb 2009, 08:47 PM
Following on from various strange food stuffs, also please forgive me if I sound like an uneducated idiot, but I was always taught that potatoes are highly toxic to horses in any form especially if they're raw. :confused: Not that many people would feed 'raw' potatoes but you know what I mean. :p

In short, only if you've let them go green.
In that condition, they might contain significant amounts of toxin - although different varieties vary greatly in the amount they will develop - and be risky for anything that eats them.
I think that old wives' tale originated as a warning not to take potato peelings, keep them hanging around for a couple of days (so they turn green ...) then offer them to pig or horse or chickens.

Treacs
21st Feb 2009, 08:53 PM
^ Ah, thanks for that information. You learn something new every day. :)

puzzles
21st Feb 2009, 09:09 PM
In short, only if you've let them go green.
In that condition, they might contain significant amounts of toxin - although different varieties vary greatly in the amount they will develop - and be risky for anything that eats them.
I think that old wives' tale originated as a warning not to take potato peelings, keep them hanging around for a couple of days (so they turn green ...) then offer them to pig or horse or chickens.

They're very starchy which makes them difficult to digest, and so wouldn't be suitable for laminatics or good doers. Fed in small infrequent quantities, they should be fine.

x