PDA

View Full Version : what fresh veg can horses eat?

Dummer&Drummer
16th Nov 2005, 01:01 PM
i just read someones thread who said they give their horses parsnip and suede. my horse has only ever had carrot or apple. what else could i give him as a tasty treat or something to mix in his food???? anything i should bare in mind health wise re any veg?

eventerbabe
16th Nov 2005, 01:06 PM
mine get apple, carrots, parsnip, turnip. they love getting a whole turnip and knawing their way through it.

Perfect Pony
16th Nov 2005, 01:08 PM
shadow gets, apples, carrots, parsnip, turnip, we gave him cabbage last year too but he didnt like it!!!
:D

saldec
16th Nov 2005, 01:17 PM
Mine get:
Carrots,
Apples,
Turnip.

But they hate bananas :) They just spit it out of there mouths, so funny to see :D

Dummer&Drummer
16th Nov 2005, 01:24 PM
to be honest, i thought banannas were like poisioness to them, not good for them - i not sure though, that is just wat my old RI said once

could i buy a whole turnip then and just put it on the ground, or maybe in their field if they had one each - does it take them ages to eat it or just like half an hour or something - be something different for them??

dcp
16th Nov 2005, 01:27 PM
Is it ok for their teeth. Ok probably silly questions. Sometimes if I give Charlie a whole carrot he finds it difficult to bite it. would a whole turnip be the same

hApPiNeSs
16th Nov 2005, 01:29 PM
i dont know if she is suppossed to have it, but happy loves melon and cucumber :D

i think carrot, apple and turnip are the best ones to give though :o

Dummer&Drummer
16th Nov 2005, 01:30 PM
laurenc - i know the answer to that question - it should be fine for their teeth, probably good for them - horses should manage a large whole carrot - they have an extra set of teeth at the back of their mouths i believe as well as the front :)

The Flying Irishman
16th Nov 2005, 01:59 PM
Silly question but are you supposed to peel the turnip or do they eat it with its skin on - same re parsnips :D

Wally
16th Nov 2005, 02:57 PM
Ours love the odd banana, not often but a bite each never hurt.

Horses can cope in moderation with most things we eat, but in moderation. Too much turnip will give then the squitts.

My friend in Germany gives them grapes.

dcp
16th Nov 2005, 03:14 PM
Charlie isn't keenon bananas but loves oranges. I don't feed them too often though because they are quite acidy.

Holly B
16th Nov 2005, 07:07 PM
I've read that racing stables in France regularly feed their horses oranges in the same way that we tend to feed carrots and apples.:)

chickflick1066
16th Nov 2005, 07:14 PM
Well I used to feed an array in her dinner but found she spat them out and ate them at the end so she doesnt really get anymore.

sidesaddlelady1
16th Nov 2005, 07:27 PM
i just read someones thread who said they give their horses parsnip and suede. my horse has only ever had carrot or apple. what else could i give him as a tasty treat or something to mix in his food???? anything i should bare in mind health wise re any veg?

The WH loves swede. A client at the yard gives hers celery - an expensive hobby I feel! During the war when "proper" feed was scarce they fed potato peelings to horses among other things but I don't think I'd do it now.

LMS
16th Nov 2005, 07:29 PM
I've read that nightshade vegetables were to be avoided.

My neighbour though asked me if horses were allowed to eat pumpkins as my mare Heidi found the ones in her garden & started munching on them.
Does anyone know if it's ok? I tried looking it up on the net to no avail.

LMS

sidesaddlelady1
16th Nov 2005, 07:30 PM
to be honest, i thought banannas were like poisioness to them, not good for them - i not sure though, that is just wat my old RI said once

could i buy a whole turnip then and just put it on the ground, or maybe in their field if they had one each - does it take them ages to eat it or just like half an hour or something - be something different for them??

Bananas are very high in potassium and sugar so probably better in small quantities. But not poisonous I wouldn't think. The WH doesn't like them at all - which is odd because I don't either. A lot of things in common, my horse and I.

A propos of nothing very much - Banana skins are very good for polishing scuffed brown boots.

sidesaddlelady1
16th Nov 2005, 07:32 PM
I've read that nightshade vegetables were to be avoided.

My neighbour though asked me if horses were allowed to eat pumpkins as my mare Heidi found the ones in her garden & started munching on them.
Does anyone know if it's ok? I tried looking it up on the net to no avail.

LMS

As in potatoes and tomatoes? Interesting. All the green bits of both are very poisonous at least to humans so I wouldn't risk it with a horse.

sidesaddlelady1
16th Nov 2005, 07:34 PM
laurenc - i know the answer to that question - it should be fine for their teeth, probably good for them - horses should manage a large whole carrot - they have an extra set of teeth at the back of their mouths i believe as well as the front :)
Probably better to cut large carrots into fingers as horses can choke very easily

xXSundanceBayXx
16th Nov 2005, 07:44 PM
also never cut carrots into rounds but cut lengthways. it lessens chances of choking.:)

arabianknight
16th Nov 2005, 07:45 PM
so, i was just wondering....:o yet kind of embaressed...but i'll go ahead....what are turnips?:o lol:D :eek: i saw an image of them on googles images but didnt recognise them!

pengapenga
16th Nov 2005, 09:35 PM
Frits given the chance will eat just about anything. However I only feed him carrots and the odd apple and not in large quantities, I will put a turnip in his food today:) Misty on the other hand will not try anything new if it is not a carrot or an apple it is not worth eating:rolleyes:

Another interesting titbit about bananas, which I have heard about, is that peeling an over ripe banana and scraping the inside of the skin and adding what you have scraped off into the horses food apparently helps horses with stomache ulcers. Not sure how accurate that is as I have not had any experience in using that.

laura jeanne
16th Nov 2005, 09:40 PM
One place we rode last year had pear trees. When the horses were let loose, they would make a bee line for the pears on the ground under the trees and slobber all over them.

Pink's lady
16th Nov 2005, 09:49 PM
Pink will eat ANYTHING (literally) but what she's ALLOWED to eat is:

Apples
carrots
cabbage
turnips
brocolli (a favorite)
brussel sprouts (anouther favoirite)
And just about every other fruit or veg offered.:rolleyes:

The only thing she's not alllowed is onions and potatoes. And she hates celery and lettece

BecknSkye
17th Nov 2005, 12:08 AM
I give Skye banana, cucumber, apples, carrots, swede(he turns up his nose and just kicks them round the paddock) and cabbage. He doesn't seem to really chomp them down, he's very slow and reserved with his treats. I think he just takes his time because the other horses are watching and they'll think he got lots ...:D

Styric
17th Nov 2005, 02:08 AM
Chevy gets carrots (which I taught him to bite off at the halfway mark when they're really long so he doesn't slobber carrot chunks all over the floor), apples and oranges. I've shared my bagels with him, and he loves granola bars.

So he's more of a grains person, not so much the fruits and veggies ;)

His favorite things ever are clover and dandelions. He'll ignore all the apples and carrots in the world and beeline to those.

artemis
17th Nov 2005, 08:27 AM
For Arabianknight: A turnip is a vegetable about the size of a football. It grows under the ground like a potato or carrot. It is orange or creamy colour inside & is best when cooked. Often used in soups & stews in Winter. Often grown by farmers to feed sheep.

Spooky
17th Nov 2005, 09:43 AM
How about Onions? The stallion at my yard has 4 onions hanging in his window!

Casey76
17th Nov 2005, 10:30 AM
Swedes are aka rutabagas

*sobs* no swedes (which I call turnips) available in Switzerland at all :( I miss having carrot and swede mash with my Sunday dinner

Dummer&Drummer
17th Nov 2005, 10:31 AM
excellent everyone, my horses are in for a rare treat in with their food and *** bits, carrots apples and now turnip suede brocolli brussel sprouts cucumber a few orange pieces from time to time and the odd bite of bananna - wow he is gonna love this

you will all hate this, but one of the horses at our yard adores these, my horse however absolutely hates this - ring donuts with icing and hundreds and thousands :)

Dummer&Drummer
17th Nov 2005, 10:36 AM
being blonde here, but are turnips suedes :rolleyes: ??

poor you suede and carrots mashed are yummy

katefarmer
17th Nov 2005, 11:37 AM
I think turnip and suede are the same thing - and you can't get them in Austria either. :(

While studying in Scotland I became addicted to "neeps and tatties" - suede and potato mashed together. Have to substitute carrot for suede here - good, but not the same!

Kate
www.harmony-project.net

angelfben
17th Nov 2005, 11:44 AM
Mine get carrots in every feed and apples, brocolli, celery, lettuce, green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, cauliflower leaves, beetroot and cabbage as kitchen scraps. Though Alpi only eats carrots, apples and brocolli really, but Rusty loves everything the little piglet :D

They both LOVE plums, apricots and pears but they only get those as special treats e.g. after worming.

Moomin
17th Nov 2005, 11:46 AM
Moo has carrots every day.

She hates swede, parsnip and turnip (she will throw them over the door at you if you dare to leave them in her stable for "fun"!!)

She loves Marks and Spencer melon medley as a special treat and a pound of green grapes always goes down a treat!! ;)

Peanut
17th Nov 2005, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=katefarmer]I think turnip and suede are the same thing - and you can't get them in Austria either. :(

In England, swedes are biggish orange balls and turnips are much smaller and white. However I believe the Scots call what the English know as swede, turnip. I'm not sure what the Scots refer to the English turnip as! But they are definitely two different vegetables from the root vegetable family.

saldec
17th Nov 2005, 12:52 PM
Scots refer to the English turnip as : Neeps !!!!

Peanut
17th Nov 2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks saldec for sorting that bit of confusion out!

Wally
17th Nov 2005, 06:17 PM
Swedes are "Swedish turnips" to give them the full name, there are 100's of varieties of turnip, but Swedes are Swedish turnips!

piftisha
17th Nov 2005, 06:29 PM
On the topic of strange treats - one of the horses at my school just LOVES peppermints. Its very cute because he can smell them on you and goes nuts for them!

As for normal treats - Colorodo is not big on apples, at least the green ones. Last time I tried to give him one I put it in his bucket and he picked it up and threw it back at me!

I buy bags of the baby carrots since they seem to like to munch those, and I can get them to last longer than one big carrot.

Whatanejit
19th May 2006, 06:24 AM
Oh, I am glad I found this thread but a have a few more questions for you knowledgeable folk out there.

I fed Cooper a pear the other night and it was a delight to see him eating it - complete ecstasy!

He savoured every juicy moment.

My RI then said you need to be careful and not give too many as it causes and imbalance - now, unhelpfully, she couldn't remember an imbalance in what?

Anyone else know?

Also, we get a lot of catering in work and frequently there is a whole fruit platter left over.

It contains grapes, mangos, papaya, pineapple figs etc. - quite a posh platter.

Would any of those exotic fruits be a problem to give to Cooper as a treat or to pop in his dinner?

Thanks for your help.

xx

Dee

Whatanejit
19th May 2006, 06:32 AM
Oh, just found this useful link.

http://www.naturalhorse.com/sample2.php

xx

Danyele
19th May 2006, 06:36 AM
We give them...
*Apples
*Carrots
*Cougette
*Parsnip
*Turnip
and anything else thats left over really!

jenren!!
19th May 2006, 10:57 AM
Apples, carrots, parsnips, swedes, turnips, pears, peaches, nectarines and bananas :) Not sure of any others.

Jenny xxx

benslieblue
19th May 2006, 11:24 AM
one of girls at yard left her store door open (was winter) my wee shetland mare who is 37 sneaked into store and had a bite of every apple on the tray - never ate a whole one just a bit of each.

For pony who doesnt have many teeth she can eat a turnip very quickly!:)

Dummer&Drummer
19th May 2006, 12:53 PM
hee hee my old thread from AGES ago :)

Alle
19th May 2006, 03:01 PM
Sevigny loves all sorts of fruits. She's had grapes, banana, apples, mango, guava (she'll LOVES guava juice!), strawberries, starfruit, tangerines, oranges, watermelon, honeydew, cantelope, nectarines, pears and plums. Of course, she doesn't get the exotic fare very often...mostly it's carrots and apples for treats. I've not tried turnip or parsley yet!

One of the funniest things is when she finds a mango on the ground when grazing...she's soooo happy. And she spits out the pit when she's done. I try to keep her awy from the mango trees when the fruit is drpping as I don't want her to choke! :eek: The first time she did that I almost had a heart attack.

palmerlover52
19th May 2006, 03:28 PM
shows how good we are...hardly any of us know the difference between a swede and a turnip!!

turnips are long i believe and swedes are round like a football...am i right ????:confused: i'm seriously confused now!

prudence
19th May 2006, 04:20 PM
Our horses love amongst some 'classic' (apples, carrots, swedes, pears, parsnip) also celery and strawberries (but would spit out the green bit!)...
By chance I have discovered how much they like Doritos (it was actually an accident...Doritos were meant for me!!!) and tea!

Goldie'sGirl
19th May 2006, 06:14 PM
I think I heard somewhere that people in the north call turnips and swedes the opposite of what people in the south call them, If that made sense :rolleyes:
~GG~

kirstie
20th May 2006, 09:15 AM
Amba gets:

Bananas
Dates
Carrots
Apples
Turnips
Pears
Oranges
and Parsnips :)

mad mare1
21st May 2006, 06:27 PM
Crystal gets apples, turnips, carrots, cabbage, celery (sometimes) cauliflower, and strawberries, tomatoes, wild garlic (grows in the woods) shealso likes chips(?) pot noodles and anything thats going we have to be careful and lock the foodstuffs away at our place! As for peppermint, she will rip your pockets to shreds to get at that and for some strange reason aniseed as well!