Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Disciplines > Driving

Notices

Old 20th Dec 2009, 06:10 PM

Newbie question

What kind of horse is ideal to drive (temprament etc)?
I've always liked the idea of driving, and have driven a few. I would love to break one of mine (with help, of course!!) but it's a bit of a pipe dream really....can anyone shed any light on how I would go about it (if I were to do it), timescale etc?
Old 21st Dec 2009, 07:06 PM

Can't help with the timescale or what's involved as I haven't broken either of mine.

As to what type, I suppose it depends on what you want to do. I don't compete so I want something who will mainly potter along the lanes. Safety is my main concern, having to cope with traffic. I need a pony who is sensible, obedient and intelligent, without wanting to do the thinking for me. As my ponies are also pets, I also want a "personality" that I can enjoy being with. My stiffness issues also mean I want something small, so I can get in and out of the cart easily. My shetlands suit me fine.
Old 25th Dec 2009, 07:25 AM

I would also think that temperament was essential - don't want to be going out of control
As for the how/how long, you might want to ask Wally ?
Old 25th Dec 2009, 10:35 AM

steadiness, good in traffic, unflappable.

also do you have anywhere safe to drive - there are very few lanes/roads where it is really safe to drive out in these days - at least with a horse, being ridden, if a twit comes round a blind bend at speed, there is the chance they can squeeze past a horse unsafe though it is, but with a buggy behind it, there is more chance they will hit you.

wally is the expert for advice on driving ponies.
Old 28th Dec 2009, 04:09 PM

There are numerous threads on here about how to get started - the most important things you can do by yourself and that is teaching impecable manners and long-reining. Standing perfectly still is a very desirable skill in a driving pony and you cannot pay too much attention to this. Long-reining around the lanes and roads, then in the school, then around the yard trying close turns and halts - all vitaly important schooling. When you find someone you trust to help you you can expect a well mannered and confident pony to take about 6 - 10 weeks to become competent at the job and you should arrange to have lessons with the pony as it is coming along - that way you will learn together and it will help reduce any misunderstandings. Of course this isn't written in stone and they are all different. I had one who took a couple of weeks and another who took much longer as he was worried about the noise of the carriage so a lot of work went into making him noise proof - they are all individuals.
All breeds can drive - broad chested breeds fair better as they have more to go into a collar but I have a friend who broke his TB eventer to drive and competed regularly in trials with him. Arabs and TBs tend to be sharper and maybe a bit more dificult to make comfortable in harness but as long as they have the right attitude anything is possible.