Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Disciplines > Driving

Notices

Old 3rd Nov 2011, 09:38 PM

Voice commands in pairs?

Do you have different voice commands for different horses? Finding it hard when one obeys and the other doesn't resulting in already compliant pony going forwards faster leaving non compliant further behind ( either leading together or ponying)

Put iron here as decided driving in pairs was most similar for experiences
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 09:50 PM

This is why you always say their name before giving a command. If one half of a pair is leaning on the reins you set the reins so he's not interfering with his neighbour. Take the coupling rein up on his side and out on the neighbours side.

If one is being lazy you say his name and back it up with the whip while not upsetting the other one.

Andy gets really upset if he thinks he's done anything wrong. So Charlie knows I mean him when I'm bollocking him and Andy ignores me until I say his name.
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 10:05 PM

Yep the name thing. I have attempted to long rein my 2 in pairs (it was interesting!) but they both listened to me individually until I asked them to "pick it up" which they both know is there command to pick up the pace in whatever gait
Old 4th Nov 2011, 08:17 AM

There are commands that they know are for all of them, "ready boys" is the team and pair command to listen up we are ALL going to do something, like walk off together with no kangaroo petrol involved. Some folk blow a long raspberry that when it finishes the horses know to stop together. I tend to say Aaaaaaand stand. Give them plenty of time to adjust their balance, brake the cart and bring it to a halt on the word "stand"
Old 4th Nov 2011, 09:18 AM

I have been using steady and stand - steady to indicate a slowing of pace. Just need to change madams cues as she runs off when I click by accident!
Old 4th Nov 2011, 09:25 AM

Agree with using a name before a command. I have been trick training using the name first to get the horses attention. It means when they are together I can get them doing different things.

I would also say- try spending some time on groundwork with them together and focussing attention on one allowing the other to ignore, so when you are leading and focus on one to speed up or slow down, the other will ignore. I had a real issue working this out leading a slow pony whilst riding a forward going horse- both very good at voice commands. I had to teach Rhia to switch off to sound when I wasn't focussing on her and just listen to my seat.