Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Main Arena > Mature Riders > Adults who ride Ponies

Notices

Old 27th Mar 2012, 06:56 PM

Appley's first solo hack of 2012

Took Appley out by herself for the first time this year (she'd been turned away for winter, but has done plenty 'solo' last summer!). Erred on the side of caution and walked her up the road inhand (stupid steep blind bend, rush hour traffic ...) with the intent of clambering on once we're off road.

naughty appley! she's five now and feeling a bit teenagery it seems! the little fidget midget just would not stand nicely for me to get on using 'something' as a little step (i cannot vault on for the life of me!), so I had to resort to using the stirrup in the end 0 which i'd never done before without someone holding the other side as shes only 12.2 (at a push!), quite round, x wide saddle ... you see why i don't try this normally, right?

anyhoo - the saddle did not move! PHEWY!! (and thank you SBloom, saddle fitter extraordinaire!).

once onboard we met a mountainbiker, some dogs, walkers ... no probs

only two bouts of 'creativity' on Appley's part where she thought it could be marvellous fun to spin on a sixpence and try to change direction suddenly. luckily, all i had to do was turn her back the way she came and urge her on the 'right' way, bless her

all in all a success methinks

Julia
x
Old 27th Mar 2012, 07:07 PM
Disco Frog Champion

Yay well done little Appley

Onwards and upwards now!! Lots of pottering about in the sunshine.

I think baby horses much prefer hacking to schooling so it's nice that you've got somewhere to hack her offload
Old 27th Mar 2012, 07:10 PM

yep, we have a lot of hacking once the roadwork is out of the way we can access the south downs within about 20/30mins ride, with near endless possibilities

i'm a happy hacker, anyways so i'll happily stick to schooling once a week (we have one lesson per week in the school) and hack the rest of the time. my other pony, angel, doesn't really go in the school at all, ahem ... but we plod around for hours instead
Old 27th Mar 2012, 08:11 PM

well done little Appley!
Old 27th Mar 2012, 08:14 PM

Well done I have a lot of time for people you hack young ones I would never be that brave. Well done little one
Old 27th Mar 2012, 08:22 PM

i hacked her the 3rd time i sat on her only because she's such a good girl though, i'd poop myself on anything else i can reassure you
Old 29th Mar 2012, 12:14 AM

Excellent
Old 29th Mar 2012, 12:58 AM

Yay Appley. Are there any pics of the wonderpony anywhere?
Old 29th Mar 2012, 09:59 AM

Yaye, go you two!!!!
Old 31st Mar 2012, 05:17 PM

took her out again today this time I got on at the yard and road up the road to the bridleway (not a long way at all, 5 mins or something but up a stupid steep blind bend that's reasonably busy). she was good as gold

had a bit of a jump at a stealth jogger (brighton marathon in two weeks time - they're out in force! neonclad, headphoned up and oblivious to the outside world ....) and met a lot of dogwalkers, too! she ogled but was calm also met an electric wheelchair (offroad!), a children's football match and two 'big' horses going the other way - all good very happy with my little girlie