Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Archives > General

Notices

Old 25th Jan 2007, 03:37 PM

Cobs and Dressage Saddles

Does anyone own a wide, short backed cob and ride in a dressage saddle? If so I'd love to hear what you ride in as I have been told I might not be able to get one for my boy and really want one..

Thanks!
Old 25th Jan 2007, 03:49 PM

I have a big cob and he had an ansur classic dressage saddle, it fit him really nicely.
Hes now got an icelandic treeless which also fits him nicely, and today i tried on my new startrekk saddle which is a dressage saddle, and with a wider head piece i think would fit him nicely
Old 25th Jan 2007, 04:38 PM
Sexy Dressage Pony

How weird. I was told that Dressage saddles suit cobs better becuase of the strighter cut flaps. They dont tend to restrict the cobs shoulders which is much better for them..
Old 25th Jan 2007, 04:48 PM

certainly with SC saddles i have fitted quite a few dressage saddles to cobs with no problems.
Old 25th Jan 2007, 06:12 PM

I own a wide, not particularly short backed but big shouldered welsh cob, and got told that I might be lucky if I could find anything to fit him other than a dressage saddle.

I can't think why a dressage saddle wouldn't work, jumping yes, but provided the saddle is correctly fitted...
Old 26th Jan 2007, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your replies! So it is possible then!
I cant remeber why he said it might be hard... has anyone got a Wintec Isabelle werth dressage saddle? I think they are really comfy but would need a brown one, do they do them in brown?...sorry 100 questions!!
Old 26th Jan 2007, 09:12 AM

I have a thorowgood cob dressage saddle for my cob. It's a cracking saddle and a super fit on him. I'd highly recomend it
Old 26th Jan 2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerbabe View Post
I have a thorowgood cob dressage saddle for my cob. It's a cracking saddle and a super fit on him. I'd highly recomend it
These dont come in brown do they?..
Old 26th Jan 2007, 12:15 PM

I had a dressage saddle for my lightweight, short cob type, exactly because of the straight flaps, which didn't restrict his shoulder at all. He wouldn't have counted as wide, but I know others who do have wide, short backed cobs and have dressage saddles, so yes, it can be done!

Ross
Old 26th Jan 2007, 03:17 PM

Yes it is making sense now! big shouldered cob and straight cut flaps! I was getting a bit confused by it all! Right - next challenge guys - I need a brown one and preferably under 400!! so will most likely be synthetic.

Any ideas?
Old 26th Jan 2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura2184 View Post
These dont come in brown do they?..
ooh, i don't know. Check out robinsons website. They had them on special offer a while ago. They were down to 120!! i didn't really need a new saddle, but at that price it was worth buying
Old 26th Jan 2007, 03:26 PM

I had a wintec isabell for my cob and did not get on with it. I now have a thorowgood dressage saddle and love it. The 17 inch saddle fits my 14.0 short back and 14.2 normal back cobs really well.
Old 26th Jan 2007, 06:42 PM

Thorowgood, do saddles - including dressage ones - especially made for cobs
I also love the wintec isabell, it is one of my favourite saddles.
Old 26th Jan 2007, 07:38 PM
<3 Gem <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura2184 View Post
Yes it is making sense now! big shouldered cob and straight cut flaps! I was getting a bit confused by it all! Right - next challenge guys - I need a brown one and preferably under 400!! so will most likely be synthetic.

Any ideas?
My first saddle was a 2nd hand Kieffer, in good condition for less than your budget!

I owned a big shouldered cob, and at the time did lots of jumping. Got the saddle fitter out only to be told that his conformation meant it would be almost impossible to find me a jump saddle, so ive ended up with a GP/VSD.

Am sure wintec do, do brown, although im not 100% sure..
Old 26th Jan 2007, 07:41 PM
Curly Wurly 1997 - 2009

hope this helps
http://www.thorowgood.com/uk/products.htm
'fraid the T6 cob dressage only comes in black tho!

Last edited by CurlyWurlyRach; 26th Jan 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 31st Jan 2007, 08:43 PM

T6 Cob dressage saddle

Well Ive decided its hopeless trying to get a brown cob dressage saddle so Im gonna have to change his tack to black

Has anyone had any experiences with the T6 Cob dressage saddle?....

Thanks for your replies guys! Ive had this saddle dillema for months now so cant wait to have it sorted!!
Old 1st Feb 2007, 09:35 AM
Angel&the Big Ginger Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponylover88 View Post
Am sure wintec do, do brown, although im not 100% sure..
yeah they do I've got a brown wintec dressage saddle for my cob x arab, and she goes better than ever in it and best of all its really comfortable

Laura - dont change the tack to black, you can get the wintec in brown - honestly I've got one
Old 1st Feb 2007, 11:29 AM
<3 Gem <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsharainbow View Post
yeah they do I've got a brown wintec dressage saddle for my cob x arab, and she goes better than ever in it and best of all its really comfortable

Laura - dont change the tack to black, you can get the wintec in brown - honestly I've got one
Knew id seen one somewhere!
Old 1st Feb 2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsharainbow View Post

parsharainbow - Thanks for that, can you post a pic of your horse so I can see her shape?
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 10:02 AM

I've got a Wintec Isabelle, althoug my cob has a long back I have seen them be fitted fine to short backed as well