Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Main Arena > Tack & Saddlery

Notices

Old 20th Mar 2009, 09:27 PM
What dreams may come ...

Don Rodrigo (Stubben) dressage saddle

I've been looking for a dressage saddle for my new horse (17.2 hh Friesian x Percheron gelding, still growing), and found the Don Rodrigo saddle (endorsed by Stubben). It has an adjustable tree that will fit most horses.

Here is a site that shows details on this saddle:
http://www.wiltontack.com/ProductDes...Id_Product=234

I really liked how it felt when I sat in it at the store. I've ordered one to try once the horse gets here, but it's returnable if it doesn't fit the horse.

Does anyone here know of this saddle or have anything (good or not-so-good) to say about it?
Old 20th Mar 2009, 09:31 PM
Koumpounophobic?

Not sure about these, but I wouldn't touch Stubben saddles - those that I have met in the flesh have panels like concrete (I have a saddle panel poking thing going on ). What are they flocked with? If it's the same stuff as Stubben use I'd give these saddles a very wide berth
Old 20th Mar 2009, 09:36 PM
What dreams may come ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Not sure about these, but I wouldn't touch Stubben saddles - those that I have met in the flesh have panels like concrete (I have a saddle panel poking thing going on ). What are they flocked with? If it's the same stuff as Stubben use I'd give these saddles a very wide berth
They are wool-flocked. I thought it felt very comfortable when I sat in it.
Old 20th Mar 2009, 09:50 PM
Koumpounophobic?

Stubben panels squish down & go rock solid from what I've seen of them, so time would tell. You can always get a reflock if you need one I guess. The key thing is whether the shape of the tree & panels suit your horse, the fact it's adjustable doesn't mean it can be adjusted to fit any particular animal. You say you can return it in the event that it doesn't suit, that's great Do you have a trial period over which you can try it out?
Old 20th Mar 2009, 10:11 PM
What dreams may come ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Stubben panels squish down & go rock solid from what I've seen of them, so time would tell. You can always get a reflock if you need one I guess. The key thing is whether the shape of the tree & panels suit your horse, the fact it's adjustable doesn't mean it can be adjusted to fit any particular animal. You say you can return it in the event that it doesn't suit, that's great Do you have a trial period over which you can try it out?
Yes, there's a 14-day trial period.

I rode in a Stubben Rex when I was a kid .... for years and years. It was the best saddle I've ever had. This is news to me about Stubben panels. They were always (in my circles) considered to be a very good saddle back when I rode consistently in the past (over a decade ago now). What changed?

And if Stubben saddles aren't as good as I seem to think they are, what is good these days (and affordable - I'd prefer to spend less than $2,000 CAD for my next saddle).
Old 20th Mar 2009, 10:17 PM
Koumpounophobic?

Do a search on here, there is lots of feedback about various saddles. I was surprised about Stubben because they have a certain prestige attached to them but I know people who have had problems with them & having poked and prodded a fair few, I now avoid them. Albion are also a make I'd avoid. Devacoux also appear to be getting a slating just lately! I agree, it's hard to know which way to jump - the Saddle Co saddle I like so much seems to be much derided by some people. Best thing to do is have a person you trust check the quality & fit of the saddle before you commit to anything, then hope it works out