Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home
 
 

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Main Arena > Mature Riders

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:32 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Things to do and ask when viewing horse

Hi all,

I'm new (to posting msgs) but I come on here a lot to pick up handy hints!

So basically what is says in the title. Going to see a horse on Sunday, agreed a price, discussed a lot, we're both happy, but I want to know what things to do when viewing.

Should I see everything, like brought in, turned out, groomed, tacked up, then go in school and out for a hack??!! I can only visit once before picking him up as he is sooo far away.

Any tips? This is my first horse (since I was a wee girl!)

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:39 PM
HJ HJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 2,595
Hack out alone/in company
vices/temperament
what experience
any illness's past injuries

there are loads and i cant think atm sorry, im sure you will get lots of helpful replies

HJ x
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:41 PM
Krissie I Krissie I is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a muddle and a hurry
Posts: 818
I'd want to see him being brought in, groomed and tacked up, and to ride in and out of school and in traffic (if he's described as good in traffic).

In recent viewing, one horse was headshy when bridled, and one was in a fly rug and turned out to have undisclosed sweetitch.

Handling issues are a major problem people seem to seek advice on, so I'd make sure the horse is well mannered on the ground, unless you are confident you can sort out handling problems yourself.

And make sure you can catch the horse!!!

And careful about agreeing a price in advance of viewing. I saw a horse priced at 4000, looked fab on paper but had LOTS of issues when I went to view. I said she was overpriced and why, and was offered 2000! (Still didn't want her though. I wasn't after a project.) Basically Buyer Beware and never believe a word anyone says!!

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:42 PM
lachlanandmarcu lachlanandmarcu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,258
ooh you must be v excited!

Def get them tacked up and brought out from 'cold', pref from the field into a stable and then see them tacked up in a stable, see how they are with the catching in the field and the handling in stable incl picking out feet, and with the tack being put on. Make sure they look alert and not dull at all (are you having a 5 stage vetting (incl blood sample, just in case theyre drugged!)

Then get the seller to ride them, then you, then hack out. Def see them put over a small jump tho you dont need to jump them if youre not confident to.

Other things you could try are putting on travel boots, their attitude round food, their attitude to other horses of both sexes.

Make sure you get clear answers regarding any past or present health issues esp sarcoids, sweet itch, COPD, colic etc and also any vices (crib biting, wind sucking, roaring, head shaking etc). The former can affect insurance cover/price and the latter can make them hard to place in livery yards and some of them have health implications

good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:48 PM
Krissie I Krissie I is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a muddle and a hurry
Posts: 818
Ask about previous history and current circumstances, eg what worming programme he's on, what he's currently fed, when his vaccinations are due, when teeth were last checked, turn out arrangements etc. Partly because you need to know, and partly because the answers will give you a clue as to how well looked after he's been.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:53 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
The agreed price was only if he is as she says he is!

Yeah, need to remember to find some traffic while hacking!

Is there any groundwork tests I can do with him to make sure he respects my space and listens to me, etc

I would like to owner to catch first then later on, I can try out all the things myself, ie. catching, turning out, grooming, tacking up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:55 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanandmarcu View Post
ooh you must be v excited!

Def get them tacked up and brought out from 'cold', pref from the field into a stable and then see them tacked up in a stable, see how they are with the catching in the field and the handling in stable incl picking out feet, and with the tack being put on. Make sure they look alert and not dull at all (are you having a 5 stage vetting (incl blood sample, just in case theyre drugged!)

Then get the seller to ride them, then you, then hack out. Def see them put over a small jump tho you dont need to jump them if youre not confident to.

Other things you could try are putting on travel boots, their attitude round food, their attitude to other horses of both sexes.

Make sure you get clear answers regarding any past or present health issues esp sarcoids, sweet itch, COPD, colic etc and also any vices (crib biting, wind sucking, roaring, head shaking etc). The former can affect insurance cover/price and the latter can make them hard to place in livery yards and some of them have health implications

good luck!
Yeah excited but trying not to get too excited as don't want to be disappointed!

I wasn't sure whether to get a 2 stage or 5 stage vetting, don't really know what each entails, any advice on that?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 02:58 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissie I View Post
Ask about previous history and current circumstances, eg what worming programme he's on, what he's currently fed, when his vaccinations are due, when teeth were last checked, turn out arrangements etc. Partly because you need to know, and partly because the answers will give you a clue as to how well looked after he's been.
Well I had all my questions answered honestly, or at least I think so.

Although she did say that his vacs werent up to date.

Anyone know, what hes gonna need then? Although I do know all about his worming programme which is up to date.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 03:12 PM
Krissie I Krissie I is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a muddle and a hurry
Posts: 818
You can see what he's had from his passport. He will probably just be on an annual booster which may be overdue if they were planning to sell. I'm not a suspicious person by nature, and tend to believe what people say to me, but I also tend to check things.... Sort of 'I believe you but I would be foolish not to check things out', kind of attitude.
You can usually tell if people are genuine (good reason for sale etc) but sadly not always. (I guess I'm talking about private sellers here).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 03:19 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Yeah, me too. But since this is my first horse that I am buying for myself I don't really know all the things I need to check out!

So all the advice is helpful!!

Daughter has lost interest, could be genuine but you do see quite alot of ads that say that!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 03:42 PM
Krissie I Krissie I is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a muddle and a hurry
Posts: 818
Regards the vetting, depends on what experience you have.

Stage 2 is about 100 (incl call out fee) and is fairly basic. They'll check eyes with opthalmascope (sp!) and teeth. They'll feel legs for splints etc. They'll check for any soreness/lumps & bumps and make sure he's sound. Sort of thing a knowledgeable horse person could do themselves really (sorry any vets out there).

Stage 5 is much more thorough and costs several hundred pounds I think. They no longer 'pass' or 'fail' a vetting, the vet will just say whatever (s)he's found. They always find something....Then you'll have to decide what to do with the information.

Good luck and let us know how you get on....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 03:56 PM
fjordlady fjordlady is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wonderful Wales
Posts: 1,288
Arrive earlier if possible to ensure they have not been working the horse beforehand. Also its better if they are brought in from field to see how easy they are to catch. Watch how they lead and tie. Observe if they stand to be groomed and touch them all over. Picking up feet is another important point. You then try to lead them and ask them to back up. Ideally you are looking for a horse that is willing to walk shoulder to shoulder with you stop when you ask etc. Ask to hose their legs down to see the reaction. Observe how they are when tacking up and mounting. Definitely handle in the stable. Check as much ridden issues out as possible but let the owner ride first and only get on if you are happy to do so. Ride in the school first. Then ask to take out or alone for a short trip (nappy check) then see if there is another horse which can go with you. With the other horse go in a field and ask for a short canter together to check brakes in company. Try in traffic and through water. Also its great if there are dogs around etc.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 04:00 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissie I View Post
Regards the vetting, depends on what experience you have.

Stage 2 is about 100 (incl call out fee) and is fairly basic. They'll check eyes with opthalmascope (sp!) and teeth. They'll feel legs for splints etc. They'll check for any soreness/lumps & bumps and make sure he's sound. Sort of thing a knowledgeable horse person could do themselves really (sorry any vets out there).

Stage 5 is much more thorough and costs several hundred pounds I think. They no longer 'pass' or 'fail' a vetting, the vet will just say whatever (s)he's found. They always find something....Then you'll have to decide what to do with the information.

Good luck and let us know how you get on....
Stage 2 up here is 60quid plus vat and call out charge and Stage 5 is 100 plus vat and calling out charge. Pretty cheap compared to some places! No not that experianced in things like that. Hes an older horse so maybe 5 stage would be better!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 04:02 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjordlady View Post
Arrive earlier if possible to ensure they have not been working the horse beforehand. Also its better if they are brought in from field to see how easy they are to catch. Watch how they lead and tie. Observe if they stand to be groomed and touch them all over. Picking up feet is another important point. You then try to lead them and ask them to back up. Ideally you are looking for a horse that is willing to walk shoulder to shoulder with you stop when you ask etc. Ask to hose their legs down to see the reaction. Observe how they are when tacking up and mounting. Definitely handle in the stable. Check as much ridden issues out as possible but let the owner ride first and only get on if you are happy to do so. Ride in the school first. Then ask to take out or alone for a short trip (nappy check) then see if there is another horse which can go with you. With the other horse go in a field and ask for a short canter together to check brakes in company. Try in traffic and through water. Also its great if there are dogs around etc.

Good luck.
Thanks fjordlady, think youve pretty much covered everything! Could do with taking you with me

I will do all these things, just hope I don't forget anything as I havent got another chance before we go and get him! Roll on the 6 hour journey!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 04:03 PM
Clava Clava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the South Downs, Hampshire
Posts: 5,654
Ask what are the worst things about the horse and what is the worst he has done. (as well as all of the things above)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 04:04 PM
oumbagirl oumbagirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Home of Horseracing
Posts: 348
ask as many questions as you like - your money!

Hi there, all very exciting I know, I have just bought a new horse and he is being delivered this Saturday.

I went over 200 miles to see this chappy, so like you could only go once. I went stayed overnight, viewed the horse in the field with his friends first, then next day,

saw him brought in
I groomed him and tacked him up whilst in stable
in menage/school
owner's friend rode him first,
then I rode him,
the OH road him

then we went for hack with the owner, OH on another horse, and me on prospective horse purchase for about 1.5 hours both countryside and on major roads. Tested all gaits, walk trot and canter.

Came back, untacked, hosed down and put back in stable.

Asked lots of questions as to what horse came with (tack etc and rugs), all health questions vacs etc and recent vet history.

Arranged a five stage vetting - that way when they take a blood sample (which is stored but not used unless you have any trouble once the horse has been delivered and you have parted with your hard earned) this way you will know whether the horse has any drugs in his system. 2 stage does not offer this.

My five stage vetting I rang around local vets as it was not in my area and came up with 232 + his up to date vacs another 31. So in total was 262. Vet rang me personally to discuss the vetting and what he had found and gave me his opinion regarding whether he felt the horse was suitable for what I wanted.

Written 5 stage arrived two days later in the post and upon receipt I agreed a purchase and delivery price.

Hope this is helpful. Take your time. Genuine folks selling their horses want to get a good owner as much as you want a good horse. By taking your time, you can weed out any who are there just to make a quick killing (sorry to be cynical but it is a case like previous posters have said - 'Caveat Emptor' - Buyer Beware. Horse trading is notorious for this just as in second hand cars.

Better to miss a horse than be pushed into making a hasty decision.

The very best of luck and hope you find your special friend.

One last word of advice - never appear too keen - body language is a dead giveaway and always but always bargain!!!!! This post sounds tough, but I have learnt to my cost over the years that what I thought I saw wasn't really, it was my own rose coloured spectacled view of it!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 04:12 PM
Clava Clava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the South Downs, Hampshire
Posts: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumbagirl View Post

One last word of advice - never appear too keen - body language is a dead giveaway and always but always bargain!!!!!
I couldn't do this, I only rode Belle for 10mins in a sand school and then offered to buy her

Last edited by Clava; 11th Jun 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 04:58 PM
oumbagirl oumbagirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Home of Horseracing
Posts: 348
Know what you mean Clava - 26 years ago when I first met my husband, I couldn't bargain either, I just paid up and left Now after all his hard training and endless buys - washing machines, freezers, tv's, houses, and horses and dogs I have learnt the subtle art of 'negotiation'.

The english 'personality' is sometimes not in tune with this, but its fun learning, and if you do it right both parties really enjoy a good haggle - especially when they know a sale is coming pretty shortly

Seriously though to our friend JD who is looking to buy - you know what you want and how much you are prepared to pay. The horse themselves will pretty much tell you themselves and you will get a gut feeling. Trust the instinct - but back it up with all the tests that all the other posters have said.

Can't wait to hear how you get on at the weekend. Have you any pics JD? O...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 05:11 PM
katie11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clava View Post
I couldn't do this, I only rode Belle for 10mins in a sand school and then offered to buy her
i can beat that -

i arrived at the yard - turned round and saw him in the stable - n said "yep.... i'll take him"

back on topic...

dont be too keen etc - go with an open mind not thinking"this is the one" etc... as its easy to go with that..... think carefully about it and dont be pressured into a decision straight away!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 06:14 PM
*JD* *JD* is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumbagirl View Post
Hi there, all very exciting I know, I have just bought a new horse and he is being delivered this Saturday.

I went over 200 miles to see this chappy, so like you could only go once. I went stayed overnight, viewed the horse in the field with his friends first, then next day,

saw him brought in
I groomed him and tacked him up whilst in stable
in menage/school
owner's friend rode him first,
then I rode him,
the OH road him

then we went for hack with the owner, OH on another horse, and me on prospective horse purchase for about 1.5 hours both countryside and on major roads. Tested all gaits, walk trot and canter.

Came back, untacked, hosed down and put back in stable.

Asked lots of questions as to what horse came with (tack etc and rugs), all health questions vacs etc and recent vet history.

Arranged a five stage vetting - that way when they take a blood sample (which is stored but not used unless you have any trouble once the horse has been delivered and you have parted with your hard earned) this way you will know whether the horse has any drugs in his system. 2 stage does not offer this.

My five stage vetting I rang around local vets as it was not in my area and came up with 232 + his up to date vacs another 31. So in total was 262. Vet rang me personally to discuss the vetting and what he had found and gave me his opinion regarding whether he felt the horse was suitable for what I wanted.

Written 5 stage arrived two days later in the post and upon receipt I agreed a purchase and delivery price.

Hope this is helpful. Take your time. Genuine folks selling their horses want to get a good owner as much as you want a good horse. By taking your time, you can weed out any who are there just to make a quick killing (sorry to be cynical but it is a case like previous posters have said - 'Caveat Emptor' - Buyer Beware. Horse trading is notorious for this just as in second hand cars.

Better to miss a horse than be pushed into making a hasty decision.

The very best of luck and hope you find your special friend.

One last word of advice - never appear too keen - body language is a dead giveaway and always but always bargain!!!!! This post sounds tough, but I have learnt to my cost over the years that what I thought I saw wasn't really, it was my own rose coloured spectacled view of it!!
Yeah my boy (hopefully), he is over 200 miles away too. Hope its all worth it in the end! Don't want to be heavily disappointed after all that travel oumbagirl, we're not staying overnight.

Yeah I have definetly decided on 5 stage instead of 2 stage, think it will be worth it in the longrun, piece of mind too!

Great advice about body language too! And I'm not going to tell then for sure before I leave whether I will take him or not - can't let my heart rule my head!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viewing A Horse Haz Mature Riders 4 23rd Apr 2009 06:42 PM
horse viewing carrimclaren General 14 3rd Apr 2008 10:42 PM
Things to ask at a viewing... ISH General 4 16th Mar 2007 03:52 PM
Piccies horse viewing! Whatanejit Mature Riders 10 5th Feb 2006 05:18 AM
What should i ask when viewing @ horse jessica 2000 Archive of Posts 3 15th Jun 2000 04:16 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Site Links

Site Home
Classifieds
Competition
Holidays
Riding Schools
Kinder Way
Dictionary
Starting Out
Western
Side-saddle
Library
Other Bits
Advertising
Contact Us

 
New Rider
Newsletter

Join our newsletter list here

 
 

The must-have DVD for horse owners! Understand your horse better & communicate more effectively.
 

At Court Equestrian an ABRS Riding School near Worcester

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © New Rider 2009  
Although the administrators and moderators of New Rider will respond to keep objectionable or abusive messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and the owners of New Rider will not be held responsible for the content of any message. Please report any objectional posts to us and we will respond as soon as possible.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of New Rider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.