Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Main Arena > Exam Training and Careers

Notices

Old 12th Apr 2006, 05:46 PM
Woody Be Mine

Becoming a Groom..

Okay, the idea of this is really growing on me (eek). I know the money isn't exactly great, but I love the idea of the job. What sort of qualifications would I need?
Old 12th Apr 2006, 06:11 PM

Hiya,

I've just done a weeks work experience with Mary King and so I learnt quite alot about what the grooms do etc. Its VERY hardwork and if your a hardworker I'm sure it would be a very rewarding thing to do.
I think most people want to employ grooms who can work quickly and efficiently and everything has to be done to a very high standard!! Depending on who you work for qualifications are less important and experience is most important.
I think it would be very worthwhile for you to do a few weeks/months (sorry don't know how old you are or how much time you have!) work experience for top riders or at different yards (racing, dressage or whatever your interested in) so you can see what life as a groom is really like.
One day I had to start work at 4.30am!!! because we were going to an event. That was for a fairly small show aswell, for bigger events they would have started alot earlier and they finish really late. If you don't mind the long hours and hard work its AMAZING I really enjoyed it but I was only there for a week hehe!!
Feel free to ask anything else, sorry havnt really helped with the qualifications bit! But I really think experience is the most important!

Good luck
Old 12th Apr 2006, 08:06 PM
Amie

hi

Hello

Why dont you join www.stubbingcourttraining.com

They will give u a yard to go and train with, you will get put with professional riders and everything. It is a great way to train and learn. I got a placement with Andrew Saywell international show-jumper and member of the British Team.

Join them Stubbing Court Training its really good.(But you will have to live at the yard so if u dont mind living away from home then go for it)

From amie
Old 12th Apr 2006, 09:30 PM
holiday

I worked on the showjumping circuit for 4 seasons it was fantastic we went into Europe as well!!!! I have no formal qualifications and had a super couple of jobs but be aware many grooms are taken advantage of and worked too hard. It is very rewarding but VERY VERY hard work. You must work quickly and to a very high standard and expect far too many horses to look after than you are capable of doing but you always seem to manage it!!!!!!!!

If we went abroad i would expect to start at 1 or 2am and not stop until we got to our destination and the horses were bedded up and settled in you have to check the horses constantly whilst travelling and maybe not sleep for 15 or 20 hours!!!!!!

I must admit the parties were brilliant!!!!!!! Just be prepared to put the horses before you and anything else. If your travelling you maybe away for weeks on end with no days off and only a day off when you get back. not more to make up what you missed.

Its brill i just got too old for it all!!!!!!!!