Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Main Arena > Natural Horsemanship

Notices

Old 17th May 2006, 11:50 AM

The "special" trekker numnah has pockets in that you can pad out if needed.
Old 18th May 2006, 12:49 PM
Benson's Mum

I managed to pick up a shaped endurance Suber pad [the one shaped like an hour glass] on eBay, so now I just need the saddle! I'd love your Fitform Perdita but it already looks like it is going to go way over my budget in price.
Old 21st May 2006, 09:34 PM

I've got the Trekker Talent. I originally wanted the Barefoot Cheyenne as I thought it looked nicer but I was worried that the suede would look worn and smooth after a while so just got plain leather. I got it from Copperbeech saddles (mentioned already) the pad I got from them keeps it off her spine nicely but I can't comment on wither clearance as she doesn't have any! I love the saddle to bits. It is really comfy for me and, from my girl's reactions, for her as well.
Old 21st May 2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Perdita.M~
Just thought I'd be cheeky and hop in here saying I have a fitform ( made by the same people who now make the freeform) treeless saddle for sale, complete with full lot of accessories currently on ebay. The quality of the fitform is on a par with the torsions of the treeless world, and I believe its original retail value was in the region of 700
ohh I was watching that , I have the Trekker and I love it, the only problem is that Pickle has a very short back (15hh at mo and just poking out of a 5'6" rug) and while the trekker is fine on Danny I feel it is too long on Pickle so I have been eyeing up the smaller Barefoot saddles, I use a standard poly pad saddle cloth type thing and a gel pad under mine, the gel pad is only till Danny fills out behind his shoulders

if there is anyone who wants to do a PX with my standard size Trekker Talent and the small size Barefoot please pm me
Old 5th Jun 2006, 02:54 PM
Benson's Mum

Unfortunately the Trekker didn't work out for me I was sad really because it was beautifully soft and comfortable and I can see why people like it, but it completely drowned my short-backed little Fell, I just couldn't get it to sit right whatever I did and whatever pad I used underneath - Trekker, Grandeur or Suber Endurance - it was just all wrong for him. I wish they did the Trekker GP in a smaller size.

So I'm now trying a size 0 Barefoot Cheyenne with a Grandeur pad. Fortunately I'm quite small too so hopefully it will fit both of us when it arrives, fingers crossed

This saddle lark isn't easy, is it! And going back to my treed Ideal saddle that he's had for years isn't an option as he's changed shape now that he's an old boy, and it obviously hurts him. Occasional buck going downhill, ears back in trot, reluctance to go forward, that sort of thing. So I won't use that either.

There may be a Suber Endurance pad [that's the one with a twist in it] going on eBay soon as that is far too long for his back too.
Old 5th Jun 2006, 09:37 PM

quote:you can now get a hipsaver made by heather moffett that gives them more twist.

Just tried to order one, just what Im after,but its been removed from sale
Old 6th Jun 2006, 08:53 AM

i found it on better saddles site, heres the link

http://www.bettersaddles.co.uk/acata..._products.html
Old 6th Jun 2006, 12:51 PM
Benson's Mum

I've been using my original-style Heather Moffett Seatbone Saver for years. Best thing I ever bought! I can't ride in a standard treed saddle without it now. If I can find a suitable treeless saddle for my lad, I will definitely be getting one of the HM Hip Savers.
Old 6th Jun 2006, 02:10 PM
pAin't Nobody's Bidness

Are special fittings required for these saddles?

I'm trying to make the same decision myself. I can get the Barefoot from a U.S. supplier, so it would arrive more quickly than the Talent, which I'd have to order from Trekker.

However, I don't have a dressage girth and my stirrup leathers are the regular kind, not the ones with the buckle at the ankle. Will I need to purchase special leathers and a dressage girth for these saddles?

If so, Trekker's the better option, because they're offering free fenders, stirrups and girth with the order of a Talent in June.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 09:45 PM

creeeeek! only joking
Today my new HM hip saver arrived prompt{thanks for the link and such excellent service too}

I'm chuffed to bits with it, after a long ride this evening through the forest and valley on a big moving horse{Brode who I rode on the 20 mile Sheriffs Ride last year} I'm smiling from ear to ear.I really like the Torsion saddles but you do feel the width of the horse{bare in mind I'm riding 16/17 hand cobs.

I'm not 100% sure with the straps position,but I will experiment a little.It did move back on some distance trotting,but not a lot.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 06:42 AM
Benson's Mum

Well, the size 0 Barefoot Cheyenne has arrived and it looks just great on my 13.2hh Fell. Seems to fit him like a glove, especially with the Grandeur pad underneath, although I'm a little unsure about the best way to fit these saddles. I have it where it wants to sit and the pommel is level with the cantle, but then the girth seems to be a long way forward compared to his treed saddle and I'm a bit worried the girth might interfere with him as he walks. But the main thing is, I'm not sure about me - if it fits me or if it's too small. I originally did try a size 1 Barefoot and that seemed massive on my Fell and actually quite big for me too, rather a lot of room to shift around in, but this size 0 hugs me quite tightly front and rear. Is that what is supposed to happen? I'm not sitting 'on' the cantle, but I'm certainly touching the edge of it with my - umm - rear end. And I'm a bit worried that in rising trot I might accidentally sit down on the cantle. I'm about a size 12 or 13 in jeans I suppose, although even that is difficult to say as every make is so different. And there certainly wouldn't be room for a Heather Moffett hip saver in the size 0!

So would it be better to go for the bigger size 1 do you think? Even though the cantle on the size 1 seems to ride up his hindquarters slightly and I've got a lot of room to move about? The size 1 did seem massive on both my pony and myself which is why I sent it back originally.

I think I really need size 0 1/2, something between a 0 and a 1!

Last edited by carrieh; 9th Jun 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 06:19 PM

Hi Carrieh
I cant speak from experience yet only pass on what I was told, I was able to try a friends Barefoot Cheyenne size 1 on two of our ggs one is 16.1 shire x and the other is a 13.2 Section c and like you I thought the size 1 looked big on my 13.2, so I got in touch with the lady at horse and harmony and asked for her advice, she told me the saddle should fit the rider as it isn't advisable to ride in a saddle that is too small for your umm rear end because of the cantle. My problem is worse as my section C is supposed to be for my 10 year old daughter to ride but she is also ridden by my older daughter and myself and we are size 10's so I dont know what to do for the best buy the London I think when they do it in brown
Old 9th Jun 2006, 06:48 PM
Benson's Mum

It's really difficult isn't it Monique - I think it's the old problem of us adults riding small ponies. I've just had a look at myself in a mirror sitting in the size 0 [perched on a stool with two cushions on top of it!] and I actually don't look that big in the size 0. It does actually look ok and I'm not sitting on the cantle, but there isn't any room for me to move forward or backward. Which is why I'm a bit worried about rising trot.

Hard decision.

It's just that if I send this size 0 back, and get the size 1, I know full well that when I put the size 1 on my pony I just won't like the look of it at all. The cantle in the size 1 would really annoy my pony if it's half way up his hindquarters.

The Barefoot London looks ok, but I'm not sure I really want a dressage saddle.

I'll probably end up buying both the size 0 and the size 1, riding in both of them for a week each, and then selling the one that doesn't feel right on eBay!

Last edited by carrieh; 9th Jun 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 06:13 AM
Benson's Mum

Has anyone heard of a Canadian Trekker treeless saddle as advertised on eBay? They look to be very similar to the Barefoot?

eBay Canadian Trekker

I've done a Google search but cannot find anything on them.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up Can't help you - I am a complete beginner at all this!

I have been riding for 27 years, but only just starting to read up on the treeless/bitless/barefoot etc (although my first pony was never shod - he was a Sec A and had good hard feet - it didn't have a 'name' then, it was just that he could cope without shoes and it saved my Dad money ). Very interesting reading this thread, as I ride a narrow (Sec A x Arab) 13.1hh mare and also have arthritis. She is ridden with 'normal' tack at the moment and shod, but I am thinking of asking her owner (my friend, who is an endurance rider, so familiar with all of this and very 'open-minded') if we can go down the more natural route. I think it would suit Penny (who is very forward going and needs to be ridden with a very light contact) and me - those treeless saddles look so comfy I will follow up all these links - will keep me busy for a bit.

ps Any photos of your Fell pony? I used to live on a Fell Pony Stud - Trevor & Pippa Good near Whitland. They had some amazing ponies there.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 09:48 AM
me+horses=smiley person

Peace- i ride my barefoot cheyenne with normal english stirrups which have the buckle at the top- i dont find a problem with it...depends where your legs sit and how big the buckle is etc-they dont recommend it as there is a chance the buckle may rub you as there is only a layer of nubuck between it and you, but i havent found this to be the case. stirrups are set further back, giving you a slightly different position.takes a bit of time to get used to.

with regards to the girth, im not sure. due to the length of the girth straps on the saddle, i'd go with a dressage girth otherwise you'll have flappy straps everywhere! warning though, even with the shortest girth they sell, you may still have long straps-my 14hh pony has the straps touching underneath his belly! i like their dressage girth actually, curved to avoid legs etc and with some elastication-mould to your horse a bit.

from an owner of a horse with back issues caused by badly fitting treed saddles, the barefoot is fab-he really likes it. however if it was any bigger he would be irritated as cannot cope with anything too far along his back (was ridden with badly fitting western saddles, hates the pressure furhter along)

carrieh- i am an english size 10 and feel comfortable in the size 1 (havent tried the size 0) but i'd be tempted to go for what fits your horse best-as long as you arent uncomfortable in the process!
best of luck everyone
p.s. i just got the barefoot in black for my 18th after riding in a friends for 6 months- i think they are great.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 10:09 AM

Yes Carrieh it is really hard I will definitely go treeless just want to get it right for horses and people, there's also a German Freeform on Ebay now I don't think they are the same as the other Freeforms cos they originated in Italy. It is getting really confusing with all these other makes coming on the market having said that all along I have been drawn to the barefoot. Carrieh do you think there is much difference in quality between the Trekker and the Barefoot and if size had not been an issue which do you think you would prefer sorry for asking it's just that I haven't seen the Trekker in the flesh so as to speak
Old 10th Jun 2006, 11:24 AM
Benson's Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduranceAli

ps Any photos of your Fell pony? I used to live on a Fell Pony Stud - Trevor & Pippa Good near Whitland. They had some amazing ponies there.
Here's one! You can see from the shape of him that he cannot take a big saddle. That's a 16 inch treed saddle I am using in this photo.

Last edited by carrieh; 10th Jun 2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 11:28 AM
Benson's Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoniedaspony

from an owner of a horse with back issues caused by badly fitting treed saddles, the barefoot is fab-he really likes it. however if it was any bigger he would be irritated as cannot cope with anything too far along his back (was ridden with badly fitting western saddles, hates the pressure furhter along)

carrieh- i am an english size 10 and feel comfortable in the size 1 (havent tried the size 0) but i'd be tempted to go for what fits your horse best-as long as you arent uncomfortable in the process!
best of luck everyone
p.s. i just got the barefoot in black for my 18th after riding in a friends for 6 months- i think they are great.
My Fell is the same as your horse - he hates anything too far along his back. Which is why I originally decided against the size 1 as it seemed to go much too far back. But have a look at this [very bad] pic of me sitting in the size 0 and see what you all think. It feels comfortable for me, but looking at the pic, am I too near the cantle?

One thing I did find - it's very difficult dismounting from this type of saddle for oldies like me whose hips and legs aren't quite what they were! I had to bring my right leg over his neck and get off that way!

Last edited by carrieh; 10th Jun 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 11:30 AM
Benson's Mum

Monique - I did see the an Italian Freeform SB on eBay but it's out of my price range unfortunately - £650 on BIN. A great shame as being a 16.5 inch SB version [short-backed version] that would probably be completely ideal for me and my pony.

I also saw the German freeform you mention in your post, but that looks big?

Regarding the Trekker it was very comfortable, very soft leather, although I didn't think it was quite the same quality as a Barefoot. But quality wasn't the reason I sent it back - it was just too wide and too long. I would have liked to have kept it as it was like sitting in an armchair! But way way too big for my pony.

Last edited by carrieh; 10th Jun 2006 at 12:13 PM.