Banner Design by Maria McKenna - Click for Home
Click for Home

Go Back   New Rider Message Board > Main Arena > Training of the Horse

Notices

Old 2nd Feb 2002, 10:05 PM

Won't stand still in cross-ties

There's a 3 year old who won't stand still in the cross-ties.She'll try to run forwards,and the chains will snap her head up.
Or she's shaking her head,or just moving all over the place.
How can I teach her to stand still?I don't want her to stand for long,just to brush her.
Please help everybody.
Old 2nd Feb 2002, 10:33 PM

ok, i'm guessing that thats where you tie the horse to wal either side of him - i'm not familiar with the word cross ties - its been a while since i was round horses now! i'd suggest teaching him to stand still while just holding him to start with and a word to associate with satnding to ie 'stand' OR you could give him some hay to munch on in a net so that he knows that being tied up= eating nice food - just a thought
Old 3rd Feb 2002, 10:48 PM

How much time does this horse spend in the cross-ties? If she's only 3 she's very young. Does she get much turnout? Young horses are bound to be restless and you can't expect them to stand like an older horse or to accept that kind of restriction for any length of time without resistance. If she's fighting like that it sounds as if she isn't getting sufficient freedom to move around - don't forget, horses in their natural state are on the move all the time, and when they can't do that they get terribly frustrated.

Of course, if I'm wrong and she's getting plenty of turnout, it doesn't alter the fact that she's still a baby, and it will still take time for her to learn to accept restriction. You'll just have to be patient.
Old 4th Feb 2002, 12:35 AM

She stays out all day, everyday.
What do I do when she tries to run forwards?Should I let her ,and hope she figures it out soon.Or should I try to stop her so she doesn't hurt herself?
I allways talk to her,pet her to soothe her.So naturally,I do this when she's in the cross-ties.
When do you think it's okay to finish?,I always try to wait till she's standing still,and than let her out.Because I think, that she will think, that if she stand very nicely than she get's to go out.What do you think?
Sorry for all the questions,but I would like her to get over this as soon as possibly.(she's not going to stay 3 forever )
Thanks.
Old 11th Feb 2002, 03:55 AM

Similar Problem

I would like to train my 5 year old quarter horse how to cross tie but i'm unsure of how to go about it. He ties well to the trailer or anything solid, but if he knows he's tied to something flimsy like a corral panel or gate, he pulls back if he gets spooked (which is a bad habit i know!). Any advice? I've heard these new safety cross ties with velcro that breaks away under pressure are quite good, have any of you had any experience with these? Any advice appreciated.
Old 11th Feb 2002, 10:42 PM

I would forget about the cross ties for the time being, and instead use a long line from the head collar, thread it through a ring or anything that is quite sturdy (but don't use anything too high, you don't want her pulling with her head up), and hold on to the line yourself. If she pulls let the line slip, keep it taut but don't pull, as soon as she stands praise her, instead of trying to brush her, use your hands, give her kneck a good scratch, keep talking to her and work your way down her kneck, if she's still calm, finish by nibbling her mane just above her withers with your hands (imitating the way horses groom each other) then call it a day. Do it everyday, at first just look for a minute or two, depending on her reaction, you'll be able to build from there. And some days will be better than others.

I always have a second rope handy to clip on, so I can clip off the long line instead of having to pull reams of line through the ring.

You could also groom in a stable (as long as she's not really dirty, all that dust isn't good for you or her to inhale) giving her a canch of hay, and holding the lead rope at the same time - giving lots of praise when she stands still, again keeping it short and sweet, and always ending on a good note.

Something else she would benefit from is inhand work, using lots of halts, walk-on's, teaching her to move over and back up, building up her understanding and obedience, and teaching her to focus on you.

One last thing I've found really useful with youngsters, is to develop a routine, ie always do things in a certain order (I know at first it maybe isn't possible) I started with Breeze from being titchy - when she left her stable she always had her feet picked up, and always in the same order, she's now 4 and a half, and as soon as I drop her nearside front, she shifts her weight over and rests her nearside hind, ready to be picked out.

Hope this helps

Lesley
Old 12th Feb 2002, 07:20 AM

I'd use Dizzys technique. Cross tying is very restrictive and a young horse will probably find it very frightening at first (horses need to be able to flee from danger and cross ties prevent them from turning around or moving much at all and it's psychologically very hard for a horse to accept this). If you go with Dizzys technique you'll find that you'll gradually be able to tie your horse to one ring with a lead rope (always fasten a piece of baling twine or string to the tie ring first and then tie the leadrope to this, it's much safer), and then you can slowly introduce cross ties. You just need to do it slowly, starting off with just a few seconds in them and working up to 15-20 minutes.
Old 14th Feb 2002, 05:57 PM

Thanks Dizzy.
I'll try your advice.I always try to brush them in the stall,they're much calmer that way.
Would it help if we were to stand in the aisle,(like in the cross-ties)but not tied?Just to let her get used to standing in the aisle?
Old 14th Feb 2002, 10:07 PM

To be honest I don't know. The first thing to concentrate on is teaching her to accept being tied up, because she was unhappy with the cross ties she may be less likely to settle in the aisle because she associates it with the cross ties.

I'd use a normal tie up ring, with the long line, keeping things short and sweet, and giving lots of praise for standing still.

Good luck, patience is the key.

Lesley
Old 16th Feb 2002, 08:30 PM

Thanks everybody!
I decided I don't want to do anything with the 3 year old,she doesn't have any manner's.I don't feel I could teach her any.

There's a 2 year old,that I really like.I'm spending time with him,teaching him the basic's.But I'll start a new topic for him .