14.2hh

Maci

Equestrianesse
Aug 3, 2000
Canada
14.2hh is the limit point where you have either a horse or a pony, but what if you have an equine that is 14.2hh?? Is he considered a horse or pony?

Just Curious!
Maci :)

Last edited:
Pony is up to and including 14.2 hh or 148 cms. Mind you, some measuring sticks must have an elastic insert, some of the ponies I have seen jumping at 14.2 would barely get under at 15.1hh!!

Height is not the only thing to take into consideration, yes 14.2 is the traditional cut off, but many breeds societys of small horses don't like to refer to the breed as a pony.

Shetlands are known throughout the world as ponies, in Shetland an old crofter will ask you if you keep horses, in which case he means Shetlands, if me means anything else he will say "big horses"

I think it is more accurate to refer to a pony as something bred specifically for kids to ride, a small horse breed is one bred for centuries to carry adults and work in industry or ariculture.

Icelandics never get much bigger than 14hands, but they are horses, there is no word for pony in Norse languages.

Thanks

Thank you intouch and Wally! Those are interesting facts! I always wondered what you would register a 14.2hh horse/pony at a show- a horse or pony? Guess it depends the breed, otherwise, a pony.

Maci :)

newrider.com