2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

Well I can't believe I can join in with this thread:D
Mr T just had a lovely half hour pootle on the gingerbread man. I don't think either of them care very much about doing much or achieving much, both seem content to potter and admire the sea view:)I love playing at groom for them. So nice to see both my boys happy:D:D Zi was splendid despite the mud in places. And the wind. He has such a kind way about him

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG Sonny unmounted 54.50hrs
Mounted 67.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 1.75hr

Not a good play day yesterday.:(

I had a total SONNY MONSTER!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Its been so so hot but then now has turned really cold - we even had a tinge of frost today.
It went from 90f to really cold over the weekend.

I tacked him up here to use my Tucker saddle and Toni came over with Levi.
He was off to giving her big time crap to saddle him so she came over to play on the ground.

All of a sudden I have a big time rodeo horse under me. It was like the SPRING BROKE!!
I did not feel comfortable and got off and just sent him around a bit and he totally exploded.
I am thinking geesh is it the saddle I rode it couple weeks ago. and all was fine.

But for sure I felt like I had a wild horse off the range.

I went and unsaddled him and he was still way beyond full of himself

Prior to unsaddling him I did do a little sidepass on the ground and he did super and nothing appeared to be amiss with
the tack etc.IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

Reactions: GaryB and MrA
We went back to Virginias big ring and I got monster horse there too.
So I found a spot on a good note eventullyand that was it.

Toni was not thrilled with Levi either.

I went back over later and did some traveling lunging circles where you are not stationary but you
move foreward around the arena and the horse does traveling circles around you -- you pass the line
behind your back. I only had one blow up each side so that was not horrible.

I do have to be very very careful when passing the line behind me to not tip my body -- because tipping is
my signal for halt. I had not done this in a while last spring and Sonny was stopping behind me
I was very very slightly tipping when I passed the rope and he responded with halt. So I have to be very careful
and aware to not tip at all.

He did great and I also did a little normal lunging and no more antics.

It certainly was not fun and not Mr Sonny boy for sure.

IN some ways it may be good Toni saw hes NOT PERFECT .

She has commented on how perfect he is and I have said he can have his moments.
Geesh she got to see A BIG TIME MOMENT!!!

Then this am geesh a frost. It has been a drastic weather change.

And ugh now its hunting season so orange needed being out any place off property.

Its a start we can build on.

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

I just tried spreading a little this am.
It will work out good!!!;)

I saw the town tree people last week and got 2 loads of chips.
Yesterday my husband started to make some trails thru an overgrown area for me.
It will work out great its a bit gravely so I will use the chips to establish narrow trails
so I don't have to put his boots on him.
It will add some xtra riding areas on the property that are safe.
I'm not keen on going in the forest during hunting season - wearing orange or not!!!
The appeal of this property was having lots of options to ride play and be safe
right here!!;):):D

View attachment 89355

View attachment 89356 Sonny unmounted 54.50hrs
Mounted 67.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 1.75hr

Not a good play day yesterday.:(

I had a total SONNY MONSTER!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Its been so so hot but then now has turned really cold - we even had a tinge of frost today.
It went from 90f to really cold over the weekend.

I tacked him up here to use my Tucker saddle and Toni came over with Levi.
He was off to giving her big time crap to saddle him so she came over to play on the ground.

All of a sudden I have a big time rodeo horse under me. It was like the SPRING BROKE!!
I did not feel comfortable and got off and just sent him around a bit and he totally exploded.
I am thinking geesh is it the saddle I rode it couple weeks ago. and all was fine.

But for sure I felt like I had a wild horse off the range.

I went and unsaddled him and he was still way beyond full of himself

Prior to unsaddling him I did do a little sidepass on the ground and he did super and nothing appeared to be amiss with
the tack etc.View attachment 89357

View attachment 89358

Oh dear Sonny! What's gotten into you then?????!!!!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
This weekend was supposed to be another fun ride, but after so much rain we decided we didn't want to have the hassle of getting the horseboxes bogged down in the car park so we didn't go.

Saturday was just a quick hack round the block with C. On Sunday the thwarted fun riders met at 9 for a local hack. We went to one of my favourite local bridleways, but it was very soft so we only managed a short canter towards the top of the hill where it was a bit dryer (oh how I hate Winter!)

Harvey adores our new hay. It tastes better if you arrange it on the top of the door before eating.
i-wRLZ2HF-XL.jpg

Hacking
3.5 hours
10.5 miles

Totals
Hacking
372.9 miles
110 hours 20

Schooling
23 hours 10

Sonny
Unmounted 55.00hrs
Mounted 67.25 hrs

Andi unmounted 1.75hr

Did some traveling lunge with Sonny this am
he was overall really good one little jump noting bad.

It was good he was a good boy since we had some drama at the barn
and Virginia called for me to come check my feed baggies since Levi
got out and she found him in the people area of Sonny /Andi barn
and one barrel lid was stomped and things strewn about.

Toni had come and there is in other barrels chicken feed rabbit pellets
cat feed etc.

He did not get into any of my baggies but it was unknown on how much of
the other stuff he may have gotten.
I came back and got my stethoscope and he had good gut signs but
Toni had the vet come out.

I did the traveling lunge while Toni was waiting for the vet.

Levi is one tough strong guy even with a second added amount of
tranq and a twitch it took Toni and me to hold him for tubing.

Hes looking like hes going to be fine but Toni is very drained
seeing a tubing.

Virginia said she heard Andi carrying on a bit in the nite.
Sure she had a boy over !!!! and now shes in raging heat. the brat.

The people area with barrels ect in there and couple steps up in is
very very tight . Andi must have been very alluring to him.

She is boy crazy....
Levi was SHE worth it!!!

Every one is ok my metal trash can lid can be pounded back to fit
when my husband is home. He seems he got some of the
chicken pellets and rabbit pellets but hopefully not a lot..

More heavy tropical rain in spurts today.
Insanely warm and muggy.
Ugh so sticky out dew point in 70sf
And temps up in 70sf too.

The rain in should help the dusty dryness .
It will be 80f tomorrow but then sort out to
More normal and decent
Riding weather.

Sadly the heat has messed with fall
Foliage colors....bummer.

Ugh I just want cooler riding temps.

Another great week for Harvey and I. I had the week off last week but only managed to ride once. We did 15 minutes schooling where I started to ask Harvey to collect up for me. He was very compliant which bodes well for some work over the Winter.

On Saturday we had another trip to the Cotswold Fun Ride with 3 of the other liveries. We had a great ride. Harvey was very strong to start with but once he calmed down a bit he did some nice jumping for me. We stopped at the pub half way round again which was fun, and also Adam Henson (who is on a UK country TV program and runs the ride) stopped his car and had a quick chat with us.

All of the horses were tired on Sunday so we had a relaxing hack round in the Autumn sun.

Harvey still pulling after 9 miles!
i-mHjx7Tx-XL.jpg

We eventually slowed down enough to jump
i-r9CG4kp-XL.jpg

Hacking
14 miles
4.5 hours

Schooling
15 minutes

Totals
Hacking
386.9 miles
114 hours 50

Schooling
23 hours 25

Haven't posted for a while but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts! The week before last I rode over to a local yard with another person as she was doing a dressage test there, but her horse won't hack out alone so I agreed to be her wingman! It was a gentle hack for the most part, bit of road work which I haven't done for a while. We were out for the best part of 3 hours, my share was very patient but he did start to get a bit frustrated at having to stand around for so long towards the end and he was definitely ready to go home! But I can't complain, he doesn't get particularly nappy or anything, he just gets a bit fidgety bless him.

Last weekend I was in Devon and only got back in the late afternoon, so I just did some schooling. I decided that, as winter is looming, I'll try and learn a bit of dressage myself - very basic and for no real reason other than to challenge myself. I did about 30 minutes in the school and then finished with 15 minutes plodding around the track at the yard.

Overall totals 196.04km in 33hrs 15mins plus 9 hours 45mins schooling

I can't believe I've travelled nearly 200km since I started my share - I never would've walked or run that much if I hadn't started my horse share so am incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to get out and about doing something I enjoy so much.

Wednesday had a long schooling session of about an hour practicing for my dressage comp this weekend. Didn't go very well as I decided to try a long whip for the first time and it was all a bit much for my share.

Thurs was a shorter ride, just got him going nicely and then popped a few jumps to finish off, one of which was 75cm!!

Sat I went for a lovely solo hack and we both enjoyed a few short canters.

And then Sunday I took part in the dressage comp scoring 60.43% and 7th place which was fantastic :D

79hours 15 mins

We've been having some really nice weather. Harvey and I hacked out on our own on Saturday, mostly roadwork but we did have a blast up the local bridleway. We recently discovered a local cross country course that can be hired so on Sunday E , L and I set off for a play. Its a fun course with jumps up to 60cm and quite a nice variety. It runs round the headlands of several fields so there are also some nice cantering opportunities. Harvey was quite good - he's still very nappy but improving. Now he is fitter he is also very strong so I may need to acquire some slightly better brakes.

Things weren't quite so good when we set off home - when E tried to start her van there was just a click. She has full breakdown cover so I decided to take Harvey home and come back for the other horses if needed. The recovery turned up very quickly for a Sunday in the back of beyond (45 minutes), but sadly couldn't effect a repair. They could tow the van, but would have needed to wait for horse transport so I went back and picked them up and then the towtruck followed me back to the stables.

An enthusiastic Harvey
i-vwHrH8r-XL.jpg

Not quite the journey home we had planned!
i-hQTdzkf-XL.jpg

Hacking
5 miles
1 hour 30

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Hacking
391.9 miles
116 hours 20

Schooling
24 hours 25