2024 Hacking Thread

Connemara in the ISH horses and her head certainly shows it. Lovely.
I didnt know she had Connie in her. Very little is known about her. As you know, my best loved horse Maisie was an oversize Connie. So it is lovely to know that. But Maisie's conformation was very difference with a narrow chest. She actually fitted me better but Ella is much better behaved. When I ride out on her, like you on Sid, and unlike my previous two, I am pretty sure nothing awful is going to happen.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Lovely sunny day, she was still nickering and fruity with the new mare so decided to lead out in case she was still stiff behind.
She wasn't she's back to walking out well downhill again again, she's just at the neighing to anything that looks like a horse, especially if they call too her.
Hopefully I can actually ride next time šŸ˜‚
I swear she will think she's retired!!

Due to the traffic diversions I ended up by the fish and chip shop.
So had a quick practice asking her to randomly stand where I think we will have to, I can't really see how else I could do it.
Bizarrely it's got traffic that seems to go both ways.

I might have the beginnings of a tan, though that could just be the mud, dust and sand šŸ˜‚ collage-1713451527771.jpg

We had our long weekend hack today. I got to the field at 6:15 and we set off at 7, so I could be sure there would be very few people on the roads. It was a very cold morning, but lovely.

We set off up the Sheepwalk
tempImagetPe2GU.png

Past the deer, youngsters, dogs and mares in the stud yard. Then down a steep stony track to Woodhill Lane, which on a weekday would be busy with traffic but today was empty. We trotted half a mile up the lane and turned onto Madgehole Lane

tempImageLZ5oYC.png

which is so pretty, with springs, ponds and lovely cottages. There were some Egyptian geese and goslings by one of the ponds, and they took off and buzzed Sid and caused his trot to speed up!

We went by a route which I have never been on although I've been riding here for more than 13 years. It was a gorgeous private road to a couple of stunning houses. I checked twice to see if it really was a bridle track. It said it was... I was uncertain when we reached the car park of one of the houses, but the Ordnance Survey map said I should go up beside their garage. I did and lo! An uphill track to Winterfold!

Winterfold Forest is full of tracks like this

tempImagexkexAu.png

which Sid thought were inviting. We had a super canter on one. A pheasant flew out under his feet causing an enormous sideways jink but fortunately I stayed stuck! after a while we got to the view

tempImageYpW3cH.png
Right out over Cranleigh and down towards the South Downs. Sid loves a view and we stood for a while to admire it. When I turned my head, a little roebuck was standing next to us also looking at the view!

We headed home after that, down an ancient track, Ride Lane. It is a typical Surrey hollow way.

tempImageNX54ux.png

It looks like soft going but in fact it's stony under the duff, so Sid stays on the softer left hand side. He is due a trim and his feet are self trimming like mad, and he was uncomfortable on some of the stony paths.

Coming down to the Sheepwalk we had a canter and he spooked twice like an eejit at the fence beside him. I had to speak to him crossly.

Back across the Sheepwalk, where the visibility had improved:,

tempImages83uaA.png

And home to the field.

tempImage1XFdoq.png

Another lovely Sidturday!

Thought id take Billy for an inhand on his own. Hes getting a bit quick in the field so clearly bored. Thought id see if we could go further than down the road and back. Even put a bridle on for extra control. Well we only got down the road and back. Numpty completely lost his mind. Got vocal with it too. No amount of circling or back him up was going to calm him.

So i came back grabbed a lunge line took him out in the field and put him on a large circle. Everytime he got down hill to 3 o clock he trotted and cantered till he got to the opposite 180Ā° of 9 o clock then back to walk 9 till 3. Did this for 10 circuits till he got it out his system. When i asked for stop he became very compliant, which shows there is common sense in there.
I want to be able to walk him out more but i need to get his siilyness out of him. I cant walk him safely. Its an accident waiting to happen. So i think im going to start lunging him 5 minutes a day. Preferably in walk.

Reactions: GaryB
Yes its just getting him out regularly. He took one look at me with the bridle in hand as i walked to his paddock to get him and did a 180Ā° this morning. I had good intentions but soon abandoned any idea of lunging. Amazing how they dont forget and can revert to being uncatchable. I forgot about that little trick.
I must go with head collar then change to bridle.

Last edited:
While Buddy is still going out once a week, he can't go on forever. Going to see a cob at the weekend, local. There was one that would have been perfect but 4 1/2 hours away and don't want a repeat of seeing one far away and having to make an instant decision. The one I am seeing isn't advertised, and is bay gelding, older than ideal but been in same home 8 years so should be able to get a decent veterinary history.
1713788624445.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Finally we have had a week with no rain and some sun.
On Thursday I stayed on the roads but had a hack with just a base layer and a coat on (it was very windy)
On Friday I went to investigate the bridleway which is drying but still horrid.
On Saturday I rode with K. She went out in a T shirt which proved to be slightly optimistic!
On Sunday I took K out in the lorry to hack - we had a really nice day in the sun and I think she enjoyed a completely new hack to her

Its cow parsley season! Harvey isn't normally allowed to snack while he is working, but he adores cow parsley so I make the odd exception :)
i-cZXLcqX-XL.jpg

i-5wrnqxG-XL.jpg

Hacking with K in the sun :)
i-CjML77C-XL.jpg

i-FLSFXmd-X2.jpg

Hacking
20 miles
6 hours

Totals
Hacking
259 miles
78 hours 15

Schooling
2 hour 20

Reactions: newforest
Finally we have had a week with no rain and some sun.
On Thursday I stayed on the roads but had a hack with just a base layer and a coat on (it was very windy)
On Friday I went to investigate the bridleway which is drying but still horrid.
On Saturday I rode with K. She went out in a T shirt which proved to be slightly optimistic!
On Sunday I took K out in the lorry to hack - we had a really nice day in the sun and I think she enjoyed a completely new hack to her

Its cow parsley season! Harvey isn't normally allowed to snack while he is working, but he adores cow parsley so I make the odd exception :)
i-cZXLcqX-XL.jpg

i-5wrnqxG-XL.jpg

Hacking with K in the sun :)
i-CjML77C-XL.jpg

i-FLSFXmd-X2.jpg

Hacking
20 miles
6 hours

Totals
Hacking
259 miles
78 hours 15

Schooling
2 hour 20
What lovely scenery.
We have cow parsley as a snack as well.

Rode out then did a lead out.
Found a golf ball šŸ˜‚

It's dried up, but I think I managed to step in the only not yet dry patch. But she followed.
I don't know why scientists are so interested with visiting Mars, there are places on this planet that resemble it!!

collage-1713887872356.jpg

collage-1713887801496.jpg

Reactions: Tir and GaryB
Proper hacking after work today, it was just what was needed.

Did the bluebell woods, beautiful. Horse was angry as they dont taste very nice. :D

20240424_181314.jpg20240424_181232.jpg

Reactions: Skib
newrider.com