2024 Hacking Thread

Should have known there would be a price to pay for his superstar moments last ride. As soon as I got on outside the yard, he went all glarey into the distance. Kept it up the whole ride.:rolleyes: He kept stopping and looking as though there was something there, when there was nothing. Maybe something happened overnight that spooked him, I don't know, but he came in from the field quite normally. In his defence, he didn't actually do anything but stare, but it made me tense - I kept expecting a wild boar to leap out the bushes at us. Oh well, life is never predictable with Hogan 🤷‍♀️ below - staring at NOTHING!!!View attachment 121937
I agree with the other poster, that extra dark bush is very suspicious.
Leaves are meant to fall off you know.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
Had a great hack yesterday. Mostly gentle ambling with a few little canters here and there, but one lovely big jump. When I say big, the jump had just been built up and was as big as anything I have ever jumped - I think about 75 cm high and wide. Sid wavered a bit on approach, as if saying, "Are you sure?" I gave him a click and said I was, and he gathered himself and jumped with room to spare. Wow! Woo hoo! Then he frolicked down the bridlepath because he thought he was clever. Well, he is clever.

I don't think I even need to mention the rain anymore! :(
Thursday was a hack round the (wet!) roads
On Friday I decided to go and see what the bridleway was like. I've been riding it for 7 years and it was the wettest I have ever seen it, and to add insult to injury it rained on me
On Saturday I went with K to the Wyre forest. It has a mixture of surfaced and unsurfaced tracks and never seems to get too muddy. We have a pleasant stroll round the short route (6 miles)
Sunday was a trip out to see my hacking buddy C. We had a nice hack round in the sun while planning what to do when (if!!) it dries out

Good news for me is that Harvey is finally starting to moult. I only did a small clip this year and recently I've been having to be careful on my hacks otherwise he gets very sweaty

Sorry - I've completely failed to get any pics this week :(

Hacking
20 miles
6 hours

Totals
Hacking
162 miles
47 hours 45

Schooling
1 hour 55

At least you rode. I am glad it was good. I cancelled today as we had a household crisis late last night when I tripped and upset a mug of coffee over OH's best armchair. Managed to sponge it all clean (and the carpet too) but it meant we were very late to bed and I dont ride when I am weary. But it cheers me up when I read your posts here.

• Sad
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
At least you rode. I am glad it was good. I cancelled today as we had a household crisis late last night when I tripped and upset a mug of coffee over OH's best armchair. Managed to sponge it all clean (and the carpet too) but it meant we were very late to bed and I dont ride when I am weary. But it cheers me up when I read your posts
A mug of coffee spilt seems like a bucketful, doesn't it? Glad the stain wasn't permanent.

Reactions: Skib
Just a walk out today, another beautiful morning. He was very sweaty when we got back, so am going to dope him up to the eyeballs tomorrow and see if I can do a teeny clip down his gullet and under his armpits - if it doesn't work, well, he'll just have to cook!

Reactions: GaryB
Just a walk out today, another beautiful morning. He was very sweaty when we got back, so am going to dope him up to the eyeballs tomorrow and see if I can do a teeny clip down his gullet and under his armpits - if it doesn't work, well, he'll just have to cook!
I have new clippers just waiting for a day to test them out.
I expect Easter weekend she will be baldilocks 😂

• Haha
I gave him highest dose of relaquin that he was allowed. He wasn't too happy to start, but I sing-song talked to him the whole time, and he ended up being great. He started to get ticklish under the armpits, so I stopped there. Its not the best job ever, and not as patchy as it looks here, but I thought I'd quit while winning. Pretty pleased considering every time I've tried, he's shot to the back of the box, or reared in the past. End result, a slightly cooler Hogan.:)20240321_095936.jpg

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
I gave him highest dose of relaquin that he was allowed. He wasn't too happy to start, but I sing-song talked to him the whole time, and he ended up being great. He started to get ticklish under the armpits, so I stopped there. Its not the best job ever, and not as patchy as it looks here, but I thought I'd quit while winning. Pretty pleased considering every time I've tried, he's shot to the back of the box, or reared in the past. End result, a slightly cooler Hogan.:)View attachment 121965
He will feel better with that off. You could plait the mane, I found in the summer that let some air to the neck.
She's really ticklish underneath so I can't usually clip that. But it grows less hair and black so it already looks like I have done something that went wrong 😂

We had an unusual hack today. I decided to go down to the valley, do a bit of roadwork on the lane, and then the plan was to follow the old railway line (now a well used horse, cycle and pedestrian path) to Chinthurst Hill and so back over to the Heath.

The first section of bridleway runs through the fields of a busy livery yard. Sid is OK, but he is always terribly slow on this section because he is look look looking at all the other horses to see what they're doing and whether he can join in. I was looking forward to the old railway line, where we can get a bit of a move on if it's not too busy. However, to get there we have to cross a section of the old Way & Arun Junction Canal. Imagine my surprise when instead of the old, comfortable bridge, we found this....
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.37.13.png

Not surrounded by people, obviously, but the canal Restoration Trust have just completed the second of two lifting bridges. It's very big. And very bright green.

Sid was startled to say the least, and started to say that he couldn't possibly walk over it. But luckily there came up beside us a panting lady on a bicycle, who was glad to head straight over the bridge (slightly uphill). Sid likes bikes, and with her giving him a lead he walked boldly over it. Each hoof made an enormous noise like a gong, but that didn't seem to bother him. What a brave boy.

Once onto the railway line we trotted the whole way to Bramley, except when we slowed to a walk to pass prams and pushchairs. It's probably a mile or so. Sid carried on being a tit and spooking at small things all the way along, but he wasn't serious about any of it, just full of spring and the rather gusty wind.

At Bramley, though, our plans were scuppered because the bridlepath was closed. What to do? It's the only bridlepath in the vicinity. Well, needs must, so we rode along the road to Wonersh - quiet, fortunately, though Sid doesn't care about traffic - right through Wonersh village, and then, cheekily, headed up a path I know well from dog walks but also know to be a footpath, not a bridlepath. It is wide and has no stiles, though, and saved us a long detour and a busy road, so I felt justified. Sid realised at this point that we were heading for home (he had been hopefully trying to turn left for some time) and speeded up, with a couple of offered canters up the steep hill.

Here we are at the top. The woods on the right are full of bluebells but they aren't out yet.

tempImageiDuqVV.png

A couple more ups and downs and we were on our home lane and I got off to lead him back. He was in a rare muck sweat but seemed happy, and so was I, though my knees buckled after two hours with lots of trotting!

I am glad you had a nice ride. And thanks for all the pics. We must come for a walk near you one day. But I have been cooking all morning.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
We had an unusual hack today. I decided to go down to the valley, do a bit of roadwork on the lane, and then the plan was to follow the old railway line (now a well used horse, cycle and pedestrian path) to Chinthurst Hill and so back over to the Heath.

The first section of bridleway runs through the fields of a busy livery yard. Sid is OK, but he is always terribly slow on this section because he is look look looking at all the other horses to see what they're doing and whether he can join in. I was looking forward to the old railway line, where we can get a bit of a move on if it's not too busy. However, to get there we have to cross a section of the old Way & Arun Junction Canal. Imagine my surprise when instead of the old, comfortable bridge, we found this....
View attachment 122010

Not surrounded by people, obviously, but the canal Restoration Trust have just completed the second of two lifting bridges. It's very big. And very bright green.

Sid was startled to say the least, and started to say that he couldn't possibly walk over it. But luckily there came up beside us a panting lady on a bicycle, who was glad to head straight over the bridge (slightly uphill). Sid likes bikes, and with her giving him a lead he walked boldly over it. Each hoof made an enormous noise like a gong, but that didn't seem to bother him. What a brave boy.

Once onto the railway line we trotted the whole way to Bramley, except when we slowed to a walk to pass prams and pushchairs. It's probably a mile or so. Sid carried on being a tit and spooking at small things all the way along, but he wasn't serious about any of it, just full of spring and the rather gusty wind.

At Bramley, though, our plans were scuppered because the bridlepath was closed. What to do? It's the only bridlepath in the vicinity. Well, needs must, so we rode along the road to Wonersh - quiet, fortunately, though Sid doesn't care about traffic - right through Wonersh village, and then, cheekily, headed up a path I know well from dog walks but also know to be a footpath, not a bridlepath. It is wide and has no stiles, though, and saved us a long detour and a busy road, so I felt justified. Sid realised at this point that we were heading for home (he had been hopefully trying to turn left for some time) and speeded up, with a couple of offered canters up the steep hill.

Here we are at the top. The woods on the right are full of bluebells but they aren't out yet.

View attachment 122011

A couple more ups and downs and we were on our home lane and I got off to lead him back. He was in a rare muck sweat but seemed happy, and so was I, though my knees buckled after two hours with lots of trotting!
Goodness - that sounds like a marathon!

I longreined round the back field, I forgot her boots so that was that.
After the boo boo I did last time I used it, I moved the poles so we would walk through and over a single. As the field is on a weird hill you can do one way, go out of sight come back and they weren't where you thought you left them.

I also have a potentially new mounting block. Half a large plastic barrel. I am going to pop a rubber mat on top to stop me slipping off, but my concern is the whole thing could just tip over. I might share a photo with you guys for a second sensible opinion. Then it's your fault if I fall of it 😂

Walked out today as damp and drizzly. Thank goodness we did - the big white cows are back :eek:. They were walking along the road, parallel to us who were in the trees. Noisy lorry came, and they all started running. Hogan was not too bad, but when we came out of the trees, they were all there, and one mounted another, which caused another stampede. All in all he was pretty good, and at least I know they're there now.

newrider.com