2024 Hacking Thread

It's difficult to tell in a pic - does it feel solid when you stand on it or does it "give" a bit?
Its a large plastic barrel cut in half.
It didn't give as I have been sitting on it. It's the wondering if it will topple.

Sorry, newforest, but that does not look safe to me. I like a mounting block to be solid or firmly fixed. Have you tried one of those kitchen step stools that lock when you stand on them?

Enough of you saying it doesn't look great will stop me using it. I will carry on sitting on it to have my lunch or to pop a camera on.
I will buy another step stall for the other paddock, as that is a little iffy as well.

Reactions: Huggy
I wouldnt mount from that as the sides arent rigid enough. Small domestic steps are good. I mounteda big warm blood from those at a posh dressage yard. (Borrowed from the yard maintenance man)

It looks a bit wobbly! That's probably not its final location, but if it is I would want to put something under it to stop it sinking in if the ground is wet (I'm assuming it doesn't have a solid base)

I saw a post on a local FB group asking for volunteers to help clear a local bridleway so on Thursday I went along to help. There was a chap from the local council and 7 volunteers and we basically cleared back brambles and previously lopped off branches. Up to a few months ago it was completely impassable even for walkers and now after 4 working parties its passable on horseback (well it will be when it dries out!).
On Friday I went for a local hack. I had to divert as one of the lanes was totally blocked by a lorry delivering some sort of building materials.
Saturday was a trip to see my hacking buddy C. The forecast was for rain, but it turned out to be a nice sunny afternoon and we rode for over 3 hours
Sunday was a hack onto the hill with K again with sun! The ground has dried a lot but still has a long way to go

Hacking with C
i-vjJ2GpV-X2.jpg

i-DG6TKX3-X2.jpg

i-2QwDRj7-X2.jpg

Hacking
21 miles
7 hours

Totals
Hacking
184 miles
54 hours 45

Schooling
1 hour 55

Reactions: newforest and Huggy
Had a lovely ride today. I waited until I felt I wanted to take her on the moors again, today was that day.

I actually did some very basic schooling just to go over things in her head again. Walk on when you are asked, turn when you are asked, stop when you are asked.
I spotted a friend with her pony, she instantly stopped, walk on, I never said we are going to be chatting and they haven't even got to us yet. She needed to be told a few times to keep going, then I was able to ask her to stop when I asked her to. Of course then she wants to walk on, stand. 🙄
Then we part company and she doesn't want to go. I want to go with my friend, (you were going to walk off and leave them just now) I am going to pretend to nap, that means I am going to stop a few times.

I have decided to have just one spot where we can stop to get photos, at the lake, because over time it will disappear. She can then check to see who is playing golf and I can observe how busy it is and enjoy the area myself 😂
I have two picnic spots, (not that it's picnic weather) but again those two spots we can stop, then she can do some birdwatching as to be honest I have no idea what she likes to nose at!

collage-1711473234197.jpg

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
I believe a few posts ago I said something about my rides being "uneventful" - feel free to slap me silly next time. After our walk out and the cows careering all over the place, I expected a quiet, if a bit windy, ride today. It was bright and sunny - bonus! Set off no problem, although it was very muddy underfoot, so a lot of walking. About a third of the way round, Hogan got something up his nose - bring on the hoolies. He got VERY cross about it, stopping every few feet to rub it, to no avail, getting even more annoyed with it every time. I did feel for him, but there wasn't much I could do. The annoyance morphed into mini bucks and head throwing, exacerbated by 50 mph gusts of wind. We got home safe, and the only plus's I can find are a) I stayed on, and b) under the circumstances, he kept it relatively well together. Oh - and c) the heavens opened AFTER we got home!

• Wow
Reactions: Jessey and GaryB
Well ridden. You dont see it in UK much but when one rides Western one learns to teach the horse to bring its nose round to your knee.I havent tried with Ella as I completely forgot about it till your post.
I was told yesterday that the midges are out but luckilly the spray bottle of repellant was in the car and we used our fingers to rub some on her face near the eyes and nose.

Reactions: Huggy
Well ridden. You dont see it in UK much but when one rides Western one learns to teach the horse to bring its nose round to your knee.I havent tried with Ella as I completely forgot about it till your post.
I was told yesterday that the midges are out but luckilly the spray bottle of repellant was in the car and we used our fingers to rub some on her face near the eyes and nose.
I think it could have been a midge.

We haven't been out of the field since Monday. The cob is looking a little confused. But my entrance just isn't safe with all this rain.

• Sad
Reactions: GaryB
Lovely morning, lovely ride. We were a little bit limited by the number of people out walking, but who cares? It was bright, dry and sunny. Had a few nice trots, passed ponies no problem (no sign of the cows!) Made a prat of myself when I arrived back though. Got off at the gate, had a nice chat to a man out walking, turned to go into the yard, forgetting my mounting steps were there - and fell over them. Nothing hurt but my dignity.

• Haha
Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
Lovely morning for a ride totally spoiled by the traffic on the lane. About a vehicle a minute. Buddy was at his most amusing. He was out for an hour of which around 30 minutes were actually walking along nicely. He took offence at a neighbour wearing a RED jacket in the field with those BLOOMING exmoor ponies, taking a RUG off which was clearly going to be thrown at HIM. He staggered along the straight, doing a fine version of his drunken camel walk and extended his repertoire to drunken camel with broken legs walk. Minute he turned for home the old bugger went into third gear and pranced all the way home. Gotta have a sense of humour with Buddy. Took ages to get his hoof boots on as he had re-discovered that he cannot lift his feet except when he is eating his lunch and you ask him to lift footie so you can take them off. When he holds his hoof up and presents the boot to you.

Last edited:
Beautiful day here for a shortish leg stretch hack after the boys ridiculous field antics yesterday.

Sat writing this in the garden though which is wonderful!

newrider.com