A Pete update

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
As I think it's been a while ...!

So, back in September Pete & I moved yards. It was a big decision, but after almost 6 years we went off to pastures new - as Pete doesn't load following his infamous 'let's get stuck over the partition' incident, we hacked there. Which incidentally, was also the first time on roads.

Pete moved well & things started well. Except for, by beginning of November the 4pm bring out time had moved to 'no turn out'. They blamed the wet weather, but come January they finally admitted the had no intention of turning out until May. The small paddock the YO had given me to use for a mere hour or two over winter, they took back for their ponies. Oh, and the small oversight that the 'off road hacking' also housed a paint-balling, shooting range & dirt bike racing ...!

Bring on pure DIY livery with no turn out, no floodlights & no safe on site hacking was just a bit too much for me. And I realised I had to move. We made a swift exit & hacked to my friend's place thankfully just down the road to wait whilst I waited a week for a space on my old yard to became re-available - thank goodess for leaving on good terms in the first place! Pete literally moved back into his old stable :D

It was a very stressful experience, but I'm actually *so* glad I moved. After being on my yard for so long it gave me fresh perspective - our yard might not be perfect, but we have almost 100 acres of year round turn out (I think so far this winter they've stayed in twice due to weather and can be out from 6am-5pm over winter, longer in Summer), safe off road riding & assisted livery available. Not to be sniffed at, I discovered!

The yard I had moved to was close to an EC and new hacking routes. In our time at the disaster yard we hired the EC facilities a fair few times. Which means, that in the Summer I know I can hack back there from my old-new yard and hire facilities again (2 full SJ course, dressage arena with mirrors and XC courses). They hold events there too - so I'm able to compete in the Summer.

It also gave him great exposure to lorries, cars, motorbikes & everything else you see on roads. Pete has always been un-confident with new things & I think I've let that stop us from trying in case it set him back - given his past. But, he surprised me. He found it tough at times, but always came through - which has given me a real spur on to continue to push us both :)

I'm back now at my new-old yard & loving it. But in my time away, the YM has increased her team and there's a real focus on in-house events & the yard now holds twice monthly-monthly clinics. We've signed up for a TREC taster, a polework and flatwork clinic in the next few months. Plus clear round jumping at our in-house competitions.

We already have good off road hacking & some of it is AONB. But, by knowing I can riding on roads we can increase that even further to neighbouring estates, bridlepaths, heathland & Forests. I think I've mapped pub/all day rides & I might even be able to hack to a sponsored ride!

We are taking part in the Hack 1000 miles challenge, not that I think we'll get that far, but it's something to aim for & all that will certainly help :D

A few snaps from the winter, in no order ...

URINl8J.jpg

QmtI6lw.jpg

FppUQme.jpg

EtvuzX1.jpg

riiN2iC.jpg

I'm hoping for a much less eventful Spring ....!

That's awesome, the unsuccessful move really has opened up so many new doors for you :) sometimes we do need something to force us to push our horses boundaries, it's amazing how well they cope with things if we let them try, it's all your hard work early on with Pete that's got him to a point where he can now :)

Reactions: PePo and Kite_Rider
Wonderful! Sometimes you have to leave somewhere to realise just how good it is. I'm the same on my yard. We were there, we left for 8 months and now back and very settled.

Lovely update and pics. Great hi viz!!

Reactions: PePo and Kite_Rider

Glad I'm not the only one Domane that's done a U-turn on yards! I was worried about moving back, but thankfully most people were really nice about it :)

Reactions: HorseHelen
newrider.com