Adults riding shetlands

carla7

May 2, 2007
cardiff
I'm having weight issues with my sons shetland pony an am contemplating riding him myself at 5'3 and 8 stone just wondered what people thought and if anyone else rides them.

If so I would love to see some pics.

If I was your weight then yes, I'd jump on:D as long as its a "proper" sized Shetland and not a mini then there shouldnt be an issue.

Wally on here has I think posted pics of adults riding Shetlands - she'd be the best person to ask.

I see no problem with it - even if you are a little big for the pony it's not like you are planning to take it round badminton :p (now that I would PAY to see!!).
Get yourself on and sort the cheeky monkey out! :p

I have a shetland which I plan on riding - he's 41 inches and I'm 5'2 and just over 8 stone. He's not broken in yet though and I think I may be a little heavy to break him in but once he's matured a bit and has got a bit of muscle I think he'll be ok.

There's a fab forum just for shetlands, there are some fab pics of adults riding ponies on there, someone even took their hunting! :D

I'll try and find the link for you

Shetlands are well up to your weight, they are very strong little things esp if a standard shetland capable of being ridden by an adult. Take a look in my albums to see my 14 year old daughter riding ours not quite and adult but you will see. shes about 5 ft 1 and 6 and 1/2 stone aproximately and they go off hacking and cantering about and Sweep is approx 9.2 or 9.3 not quite a full hieght shetland :D:D:D

Last edited:
I'd ride Littles if he were up to my weight. I'll never be light enough to fall within his capablities though (very fine shetland X) more's the pity :(

I have a shetland which I plan on riding - he's 41 inches and I'm 5'2 and just over 8 stone. He's not broken in yet though and I think I may be a little heavy to break him in but once he's matured a bit and has got a bit of muscle I think he'll be ok.

There's a fab forum just for shetlands, there are some fab pics of adults riding ponies on there, someone even took their hunting! :D

I'll try and find the link for you

After taking a look at that website I'm so up for riding him think i'll be fighting my son for him now!

This has opened me up to a whole new shettie world:D

I'll keep you posted with some pics of me taking my first tuck and roll.

Ponies are more fun!

Couldn't agree more! I've never had my own pony (boo hoo) owing to raging allergies. Never stopped me riding though, and 5'3" and between 8.5 and 13st (read into that what you will, folks) over 40+ years I've always found the smallies to be fun.

You can ride the tricky, awkward ie characterful ones that kids can't manage, plus I find ponies quicker minded, sharper footed (not literally) and so manageable to keep together while doing something fun.

I currently ride at RS a smashing 13.1 fell (sometimes lazy, sometimes whizzy, sometimes convinced the boggart in spooky corner is going to get her) - a 14h fjord (tricky little article, great ride but nosy & spooks at nothing) and a silky smooth 14.2 gyspy vanner type. I love them all, even if they often get the better of me.

I love bigger horses too, but for all their bigger scope they are often falling over their own feet..................

He won't know you are up there, 8 stone for a good, strong Island type is nothing.

picture.php

no pics of me actually on the pony, but i did back this lil guy. I'm 8.5 stone. He could trot for britain!

I have posted this so many times now you must all know it by heart, but you did ask for photos! 8 1/2 stone 5ft rider (me...years ago) on 39" pony, happy to do 8 mile fast hacks with galloping and popping little logs in the woods and coming back fresh and ready for more (he was very fit at the time, doing driving trials, obviously wouldn't start off with that).

Mac1.jpg

newrider.com