Adults Riding Shetlands

Caitlin Pianta

Apr 17, 2018
Hi all (sorry not sure where to post this)
I've recently developed a serious affection for Shetland Ponies and have been reading up a little on adults who ride Shetlands as their "main" mount.

A little background:
I am 25, have been riding for 15 years and owned a Gypsy Cob for 13 years who recently passed away.
I took lessons for ten years but have only ever done trail riding and that is all I will ever do at this stage as that is where my interest/passion for riding lies.

I am 167cm (5 foot 6) and 55kg

My question is, is it reasonable to think a 10 - 11hh Shetland could carry my weight (and not suffer!) for short trail rides/hacking three or four days a week?
I'm not concerned about how I will LOOK riding, I am only concerned that it may be too much to ask of such a little pony.

Thanks in advance!

They used to carry grown men didn't they? Mind I've no idea how those ones differed in height or substance from modern ponies and I think 'grown men' might have been smaller and lighter in days gone by.

I'm looking forward to hearing the answer to your question - hope it's a yes :)

Thanks so much for the feedback so far :D Really appreciated.
From everything I have read it seems like it isn't an unreasonable idea, but I'm getting a LOT of negative feedback from horsey friends and people at the agistment yards I use in my city. But as none of those people have ever ridden Shetties or attempted to I thought I'd look for insight from people who maybe have some experience.

since other folk are interested, what ive said is that the old fashioned, traditional full up 42” pony would have no issue with this. The problem is that even here, the further south you go the harder it is to find this true type anymore. The OP is overseas and certainly in many countries a shetland is not what I would know them to be here. I wouldn’t advise an adult riding a lighter type.
If you CAN get one, they are immense fun :D

Reactions: Jessey
My daughter is 5' 5" and about 8.5 stone. She rides Shetland ponies. All shapes all sizes. When I am home, I can dig out photos for you (Thursday)

http://myshetland.co.uk/hammy-charlie-and-andys-turn/ - myblog ages ago. Daisy is the smaller of the two girls - they are both aged 22. She could ride the black pony all day. He would not notice. Being heavier, the other lass only rode the black pony for a little while. Black pony still didn't care!

Last edited:
I think overseas the American Shetland is nothing like the uk standard breed?

I have in my time ridden a 10.2hh Shetland x. That was three times a week.

The issue for me now is my bum won't fit into anything other than a very generous 16.5"
I am short body, long leg, probably long thigh from a post floating around on stirrup length and I would think too heavy at 63kg.

Reactions: carthorse
Thanks so much guys.
I'm from Australia, I believe we have the same "stocky" Shetlands as you guys do.
I've been in touch with a large Shetland breeder recommended as above which has been really good so far. So we'll see how I go :)

If you're looking at proper traditional Shetlands then, as long as you can get a saddle to fit you both, there shouldn't be a problem. Don't fall into the trap of hoiking your stirrups up though, that'll just push you to the back of the saddle & make life harder for both of you.

Make sure you pick one with plenty of bone & good conformation, not a heavy body on comparatively fine legs, and have fun!

newrider.com