Advice on Bits Please

Lisa Dyson

Sep 19, 2001
Birmingham
Visit site
Can anybody out there help?
I really could do with some advice on the best type of bit to use.

I have a 14.3 Irish Cob Gelding called Jasper. I have owned him now for 3 months and he is lovely in every way. At the moment I ride him in a French Link Eggbut Snaffle (because this was the bit used on him before I bought him), however I find that he leans on me quite a lot, he can get very strong at times in trot and sometimes canter, my riding instructor has also told me that even though he is only 7 the left side of his mouth seems very hard which may indicate that he has been pulled about a bit in the past.

Should I try a different bit with him, if so what type???
I don't want to use anything too harsh as I don't want to cause anymore damage to his mouth.

Thanks,

Lisa. :(

My heavyweight cob came from a riding school and so had been subjected to all sorts of riding. She was ridden in a gag snaffle on hacks with just one rein attached to the gag rings. Poor horse!

She didn't take to the pelham. I ride her in a sweet iron loose ring french link with a copper link. The bit is quite narrow which she seems to find more comfortable - she hasn't got room in her mouth for a chunkier bit.

Carrie tends to hold on the left side of the bit but this is mainly due to the fact that her left hind is weaker and she doesn't step under straight. We're working on this - and a visit from Gavin Scofield last year has helped a lot.

It does take two of you for your horse to have something to lean on/against. I know I've been there - and Carrie does still catch me out and I conspire to give her something to lean on. While she's strong she can now be hacked out in an ordinary snaffle - if I don't pull then she's got nothing to hold on to.

Maria

I have a heavyweight cob mare who I ride in a french-link hanging cheek. It exerts a slight pressure on the poll a bit like a pelham but less exagarated. I think it is a brilliant bit.
I had to order it from the saddlery but it is a standard so not v. pricey.

newrider.com