Advice; Travelling horse with arthritis

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
Hi all I'm hoping someone with a bit of experience with this might be able to help.

I've recently moved area, not too far but a good hour away from where I keep the horses. so as I'm travelling about 800 miles a week at the moment o_O I've been looking at somewhere closer to move them, have found a few possible yards.

My problem is one of my horses has ringbone and arthritis in his hocks. He has never come back totally sound, field sound and occasionally hacked but that's it. He was last travelled before it was diagnosed and he couldn't stand up and get his balance it really was awful! About 6 months later he was diagnosed with the arthritis, and as the vet thought it had started a while a go I now really do think the issue in the trailer was the first sign. So how can I move a horse that can't travel? I will be speaking to my vet but if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful. Or am I getting to the time where I need to start thinking about PTS, in which case I'd leave them where they are and let him have a last summer :( he's on 2 dannilon a day as I noticed this winter he was stiff on his back legs coming in, this worried me because it meant he wasn't loosening up after being out all day. He's never been crippled lame just stiff n his hocks or slightly short in front with the ringbone but I don't want to get to that point, I want him to go in dignity, but at the same time I don't want him to go too early :( Any thoughts appreciated!

Sorry to hear about his arthritis. My Storm has it too and I am a bit worried about her journey up to Orkney which will be happening soon. However, I've asked my vet and he seemed happy enough, she'll have several stops and of course an overnight one. How long would your lads journey be? Can you organise breaks or will that not help particularly? Does he struggle more in a trailer? Could you use a box instead? Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully your vet will give you an honest opinion. It is difficult. My Storm is not on as high dose of Danilon but she also takes Devil Claw. I keep her ticking over and she is less stiff living out and coming and going as she pleases. You say yours was stiff coming in the other day - maybe due to the end of winter? I know our two aren't moving abou quite so much as they do in better weather, maybe yours is the same and getting a bit stiffer?

@Trewsers thanks for replying :) Is Storm still good to travel? Sounds like you have it well planed out, I hope it all goes smoothly.

It wouldn't be too far mainly straight roads would take about an hour and a half going steady, so wouldn't really need to stop. I'm more worried that he is even going to struggle to stand while travelling, the amount of thrashing about he did before was terrible and the arthritis is worse now. I think it's the vibrations that cause pain as it's soon as the engine starts and he has been well travelled loads fine etc. We have just got our own little 3.5 tone horsebox where they can travel herringbone but I'm not sure if he'd cope with this either :( I haven't actually found the right place yet and I'm not in a rush to move them, but at the same time I'm not enjoying spending time with them or riding as much like I was and rushing because otherwise I don't get until 9pm and leave at half 7am every day so it's quite tiring. I have tried devil claw plus others and they don't really help him. I'd say the Danilon doesn't help the ringbone that much but seems to make his hocks less stiff.

Yes could be the end of winter him not moving round much I suppose but then I think if he's stiff now what will he be like in 12 months. The farrier has commented he is getting stiffer too. He seems to lack the cheekiness he used to have as well, I don't think other people would notice this but I do, I've had him 9 years know him inside out and love the very bones of him, I just want to do right for him even if that's not right for me. At the moment he goes out every day on about 2.5 acres with my other horse and comes in at night, he's a mard and likes to be in at night he hangs round the gate from 3-4 despite that there's still grass.

In all honesty I think the best thing would be to speak to your vet and ask his/her thoughts, if he really struggles to travel there may be something extra they can give him for the journey? Is he ok getting on and off the lorry? If so even though it will only take an hour or so I would still plan a break so he can stretch his legs and move about a bit, I've not been in this situation myself (dreading the day) so can't comment on whether you should call it a day and let him have one last summer, only you can decide that one ((hugs)) I hope you find a solution that works for you both either way.

Reactions: Ruskii
Just a few thoughts quickly as I'm running out to a meeting, he may find travelling on a bigger lorry with air suspension & rear facing much easier on his legs, front facing trailers are meant to be the most strain on them, so getting a pro transporter might be your best option. Also playing about with partition width can make a difference, he might prefer it a bit snugger than he used to so that he can use the partition to balance or he might prefer it wider so he can spread his legs more to balance, perhaps trying a 5 min journey in your small box will answer if any of those will help him :) Also I wouldn't hesitate to bute up a little more (with vets guidance) to travel him and for a few days after too if he needs it and my old coblet was made much more comfortable the more he was out but also by keeping the stiff joints warm so you might be able to divise a way of keeping his legs/hocks warmer which might help too :)

Reactions: Ruskii
@Lissie I'm not sure how Storm will be, bless her she's not been in a lorry for nine years:eek: so we shall see. Hopefully she'll cope, the vet didn't seem to think there'd be a problem and he knows how far we're moving. I'm just doing lots of worrying about it atmo_O:oops::)

@Kite_Rider thanks for replying yes I will definatly be speaking to my vet about him. Will have to plan where would be best places to stop. I know it's a tough decision, I'm dreading the day! This horse means the world for me, he is literally everything to me :(

@Jessey I have tried him on a backwards facing little horsebox and he didn't like that either. My friend has a trailer so could try him in that with no partition if he doesn't like my box. I thought too that I will probably have to bute him up more, for the journey. He does have magnetic boots whether they help or not I'm not sure but he does wear them every night.

@Trewsers Fingers crossed it all goes well for you and Storm. Worrying is normal. I'm trying to find the best place for my boys at the moment and struggling to find somewhere. The thought of just moving when they're are settled and happy worries me, but all the driving is too much.

Reactions: Jessey
Hi all I just thought I'd update you after speaking to the vet. He does thinks we'll be able to travel him by upping the pain killers and possibly some sedative. He also said that it does look like we will be reaching that decision in the near future. 2 Danilon a day ok but more than that it would be time to call it a day.

Cue me crying in the works toilet, safe to say the mascara is waterproof. Knowing that I will have to make a decision on him probably in the next year is awful. I can't explain how much this horse means, he owes me nothing, and I hope I am giving him the retirement he deserves :(

Reactions: Jessey
Hi all I just thought I'd update you after speaking to the vet. He does thinks we'll be able to travel him by upping the pain killers and possibly some sedative. He also said that it does look like we will be reaching that decision in the near future. 2 Danilon a day ok but more than that it would be time to call it a day.

Cue me crying in the works toilet, safe to say the mascara is waterproof. Knowing that I will have to make a decision on him probably in the next year is awful. I can't explain how much this horse means, he owes me nothing, and I hope I am giving him the retirement he deserves :(

Aw lots of kind thoughts to you. It's so hard because they mean so much to us. I totally understand, I know one day I'll have to make the call for my lovely girly:(
Anyway, that's good he can travel.

Aw its awful, making that decision, its positively the worst part of horse ownership. But on the positive, for now he is happy and you can bring him to live closer to you so you can enjoy what time he has left together :)

Thank you @Trewsers and @Jessey He really does mean the world to me, he got me through the hardest part of my life and at one time was the only thing that genuinely made me smile. Yes at least he's ok for now and when we find the right yard can get him moved. I can't wait to get to the stables tonight and give him the biggest hug, god I sound sad lol.

I thought as we've talked so much about him I should put a photo up :)

lovelyboy.jpg

He's a stunning boy Lissie

Just a thought but might it be an easier trip for him if you could travel him with a professional horse transporter? Not knocking your skills at all, but they're professional drivers & have very good boxes. Years ago I had to move my lad who didn't like travelling a couple of hours away, he'd normally be sweaty & wound up travelled 15 minutes up the road in a 7.5 ton lorry I shared with someone. I explained this to the transporter & he brought a big 12 ton lorry that meant we could give him more room & also that had air suspension on the floor. When he was driving you could walk round & there was never a need to brace yourself or balance, it was brilliant. Horse arrived without a mark on him, calm& had eaten his hay! It's an option that might be worth considering.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com