Air jackets

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I am thinking of investing in a Point Two air jacket as I plan to do some cross country and pleasure rides this year. Does anyone ride in one (or any other air jacket) as a matter of course? Are they worth the dosh?

I looked into them as I was thinking of getting one, but you tend to have to wear a body protector for most competitions anyway, so would have to buy the one with the body protector which is what I wanted to get away from really.
I ended up buying a motorcycle jacket with padding for hacking and a body protector for any competitions, worked out a lot cheaper.

Reactions: Jessey
I have a hit air.

1. The coverage for protection is greater than the P2/helite (they're similar designs - helite are the original P2, before P2 went off alone) - it immobilises your neck better, actually covers your coccyx and ribs (unlike P2)
2. The design is neater - the hit air uses poppers to remove excess material when deflated, so folds up away from the cantle and away from your neck/shoulders
3. The hit air explodes rather than implodes - this means the jacket sits closer to your body, therefore flaps less when deflated (I also hack in woodland, so was worried about baggy P2 getting caught up in trees), doesn't hurt on inflation (unlike P2 - I'm a ladies size 8/10 on top and found the adult medium in P2 the right length, had it on the baggiest setting and yet when inflated it felt like my ribs were being crushed)
4. The hit air is quieter than P2
5. The P2 has a bayonet fastening for canisters and from reading the net, this is a weak point unlike the helite and hit air
6. Personally, I think with the P2/helite you need to wear a BP underneath to make it even remotely comfy on inflation
7. Hit airs were initially designed for motorcyclists - more testing behind them
8. The hit air is cheaper!

I've fallen off 3 times in my hit air now, twice SJ and once XC. Yes, I did have an argument with a palisade, and no I didn't ache one bit the next day. I took the jacket off, hopped straight back on and carried on.

Oh and as for being worth it, just recently before xmas I treated two people who had suffered neck fractures (and subsequent paralysis) from horse falls. Neither had been wearing an air jacket. Maybe, just maybe, it may have lessened the injury ... You don't know, but I want to try preserve my body as much as I can, and knowing there's the support and protection from the air jacket, yes it makes me feel safer. So yes, it's worth every penny.

Reactions: squidsin
It is due to the deeply divided opinion on this NR Forum - balanced between Point 2 nd hit air that I have not been able to come to any rational decision and buy an air jacket of any kind.
It is wierd that when I forgot my bp for a lesson, I happily cantered without on a pony I know. My early school lessons were without a bp. Yet I cant really contemplate ever hacking without my bp. Just in case of mechanical failure of the air jacket. I have never in all these years hacked without a bp.
Why is it, I wonder that opinion is so deeply divided between the two brands? I bought a new electric kettle last week and it wasnt half as hard to choose. And one buys a car which is a massive outlay without agonising over the choice.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
I don't think there's BP on the market that would even begin to claim they would lessen a neck fracture risk.

The reason I am considering a P2 is because they are half price in my local tack shop! So I would go for that over any other air jacket - just garnering opinions on whether to fork out the cash! I think I will though. Thanks people.

It is due to the deeply divided opinion on this NR Forum - balanced between Point 2 nd hit air that I have not been able to come to any rational decision and buy an air jacket of any kind.
It is wierd that when I forgot my bp for a lesson, I happily cantered without on a pony I know. My early school lessons were without a bp. Yet I cant really contemplate ever hacking without my bp. Just in case of mechanical failure of the air jacket. I have never in all these years hacked without a bp.
Why is it, I wonder that opinion is so deeply divided between the two brands? I bought a new electric kettle last week and it wasnt half as hard to choose. And one buys a car which is a massive outlay without agonising over the choice.

I had no idea this debate has been raging on! It's a lot more money to fork out than for an electric kettle so I can see why you've been heistating. I will report back on the P2! My husband has just said he wants me to get one. Can always ride in a BP as well!

I had no idea this debate has been raging on! It's a lot more money to fork out than for an electric kettle so I can see why you've been heistating. I will report back on the P2! My husband has just said he wants me to get one. Can always ride in a BP as well!
I really liked the P2 when I tried it. How much are they Squidsin at your local place? I may have to send you shopping for me :)

The reason I am considering a P2 is because they are half price in my local tack shop! So I would go for that over any other air jacket - just garnering opinions on whether to fork out the cash! I think I will though. Thanks people.

Go try one on is my recommendation. Have it inflated on you. See how you feel in it. I've only ridden in a hit air, I had the P2 inflated on me at a show on a promo half price. One thing I did like about the P2 is the colour availability, but that would mean having one in navy for SJ and dressage, and another for Xc...

That's not a bad price, shame they've not got hit airs in at that price ... I'd have put in an order for a coloured one!

Squidsin you still have to wear a BP under them when you take part in XC and most XC courses make you wear one before they allow you on the course if you hire it out.

So might be worth taking your BP with you when you try them on

Apart from hats being compulsory on polo club and RS premises, I dont think any law affects how I ride - I dont compete and dont hold with any sort of authority in any area of my life -
However, I do think it depends on the odds whether you decide to protect yourself or not. I fell off twice last year. So it makes more sense for me to wear a bp than it would for someone who is a. younger than I am and b. far less likely to fall. I am not proud of falling and thought my average count had dropped - but it seems not.
And the type of protection you choose will be governed by the type of injury you have already experienced. Because we all try to avoid repetition of bad things. I learned to wear a bp from Mary Poppins on NR because really I dont have any aged role models to follow. Most people who ride on into their 70s and 80s learned to ride before these safety things came into existence and so (like the Queen) they tend to use less protection, rather than more.

newrider.com