am i too big for a 12 hh pony

naggingcowbag

Feb 5, 2009
hi there , please could any one help/ give me some advice ? i am soon to be looking after my daughters 12 hh welsh pony whilst she goes away to uni , she has asked me to exersize her for her but i think i am way too big ! i am 5 ft 7 and weigh 9.5 st , i would only be doing very light hacking a coupe of times a week, what does evey one think as i dont know what to do and we dont want to loan the pony out , many thanks from karen.

Attachments

• DSC00173.jpg
    DSC00173.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 105
I imagine you'll be fine for her to carry for light hacking etc as you are reasonably light and pony looks to have decent bone etc. What might not be right is how YOU feel as you will be tall on her. I find the smaller the pony and so the more 'out of proportion' the better your balance often needs to be, to avoid tipping etc...

I have just broken our 12yo 12.3hh stallion. I'm also 5'7, and whilst he finds carrying me easy and his movement is wonderful (he has good conformation and movement, and a decent amount of bone), I find that it's *me* that struggles a touch as my length of back is so much higher than his centre of gravity. As you can see in this pic, although long in the thigh, my legs don't look awful on him; it's my back that makes it obvious I'm too tall...

emps009.jpg

For the sort of work you're talking about I reckon you'll be fine on her as long as YOU can deal with the size ratio ;)
Also you'll need to fit into a shorter saddle than most horses take, so bare that in mind too :)

Second that.

I rode my sons 12.1hh just the once:rolleyes: He could carry me no problem but I could hardly stay on for giggling - it felt so strange even compared to my 14.2hh. I felt like I would tip off on every turn and my butt overhung the tiny saddle.

it felt so strange even compared to my 14.2hh.

I got to pony 12.3 stallion above from this 16hh:
DSC00300.jpg

Who thinks that trotting like this is lacking energy:
7may049.jpg

Now THAT'S a weird feeling (in terms of going from one pony to another!):eek: ;)

I think you will struggle, and it might be easier to use the opportunity to build up your lunging/longreining and in-hand skills ! I bought a really good book on training horses in-hand some classical thingy, and got very inspired about it. It's quite amazing the things you can do from the ground. Even with just regular long-lining, you can really get into the feel of it, and forget that you're not actually riding, because everything else is just about the same - I mean, you can ask them to collect, lengthen, circle, turn, lateral movements, piaffe (!)... anything really once you've got the hang of the two lines from the ground.

As a comparison - I'm just barely 5ft and am too tall for my 13hh pony :
Picture20.png

personally oing agaisnt everyone else i think you will be a bit too big. i am nearly 5'6 and roughly the same weight as you and i ahve just turned down two 12 hand ponies to break in. i can just cope with a 13hh but a 12hh i am just too big and find that my feet knock against the abck of their front legs!
this is me on my old 12.3's and i am just too big.
Image003.jpg

pippaandbambamstandingnice.jpg

a welsh A is going to be a lot thinner build as well so i wouldnt feel comfortable but if you are its really up to you. could you not lunge or long rein instead and maybe get a sharer?

It depends on the wee horse's build

I am 5'6" tall and ride a very wide bodied 12.3 hand Icelandic. She rides like a big horse.
Though I have to admit I don't like riding the normal width wee horse's of the same height or shorter. I feel too big on them.

Here's Dyfra and I.
zoom22aug09.jpg

if the pony is sturdy and fit, why not? i cant see how legs would bash at the back of the ponies legs eg. my (5'6) have quite a bit of clearance on my 12.33 but there is now way i'd bash her legs with mine :confused:

why not give it a go and see how you and the pony feel about it? one tip though .. dont crank your stirrups up really short, leave them at a normal lenghth :)

Attachments

• Picture 400.jpg
    Picture 400.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 58
Same situation as you, I look after my daughters old pony. I ride him once every few weeks for half an hour and have two kids do the same. Just to keep him in work. (waiting for grandchildren for him). He manages to gallop off regularly in spring. I agree balance can sometimes be difficult.

PICT0024.jpg

am i too big

many thanks for every one that replied to me , i had a very quick try on her today and she didnt bat an eyelid although i was only on her for about 5 mins , i did feel very tall on her though as in the past i have always rode chunky cobs, i think i will carry on trying her and slower lengthening the time on her si she gets used to me , but i think the longest i will be on her willl be half an hour as i just feel so cruel ! once again many thanks everyone :)

My mare is 12.2hh on her tip toes, I'm 5ft6 and weight just under 9 stone, and we do loads together. I wasn't initially planned that way, but she's stayed with me a little longer than expected.

At the beginning of the summer we hacked about 3/4 miles, did a few rounds of SJ in which I struggled to stop her and she then jogged all the way home. Its not perfect, and I have fat days where I feel too much for her, but she loves to go.

The big issues are how broad your pony is (Magic has a massive body, which helps) and saddle size. The world would be a happier place if I didn't have to deal with a 15" saddle

It depends on the wee horse's build

I am 5'6" tall and ride a very wide bodied 12.3 hand Icelandic. She rides like a big horse.
Though I have to admit I don't like riding the normal width wee horse's of the same height or shorter. I feel too big on them.

Here's Dyfra and I.
zoom22aug09.jpg
You look too big im 5'2 and cant ride a 12.3hh :( sorry to disapoint :(

You look too big im 5'2 and cant ride a 12.3hh :( sorry to disapoint :(

Firstly can i say i think it is pretty rude of you to post a negative on your first post.
If you would have looked up the stats of the icelandic horse you would have seen that they are quite capable of carrying a MAN unlike other small breeds. Sharin you both look great together!! :)

Reactions: mkimes60 and E123h
I agree, bad first post. I think they are perfect together.

What about me, mine is smaller and I am taller, we look quite weird, but pony doesnt mind, which is what counts.

I also hasten to add, not sure of your age, but ALL adults that ride ponies are very aware of weight and balace issues and are far less lightly to stress a pony than a teenager galloping endlessly round pony club with no thought for the welfare of their mount. Yanking on the mouths, jumping over and over with weight landing on poor ponies feet.

I will never get on without hoofboots on the road for example, just to give him added protection. I also get off on downhills if too steep and if the sun makes him too tired and walk back home.

Thumbs up to all CONSIDERATE adult riders on ponies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: E123h
I think you will struggle, and it might be easier to use the opportunity to build up your lunging/longreining and in-hand skills ! I bought a really good book on training horses in-hand some classical thingy, and got very inspired about it. It's quite amazing the things you can do from the ground. Even with just regular long-lining, you can really get into the feel of it, and forget that you're not actually riding, because everything else is just about the same - I mean, you can ask them to collect, lengthen, circle, turn, lateral movements, piaffe (!)... anything really once you've got the hang of the two lines from the ground.

As a comparison - I'm just barely 5ft and am too tall for my 13hh pony :
Picture20.png
I’m 5ft 7 and ride a 13 2 pony. I don’t look big at all

Firstly can i say i think it is pretty rude of you to post a negative on your first post.
If you would have looked up the stats of the icelandic horse you would have seen that they are quite capable of carrying a MAN unlike other small breeds. Sharin you both look great together!! :)
Agree 100%
I’m 5 7 and still ride my 12 hh 2 Welsh pony. You don’t look to big at all!

newrider.com