Am I too big to ride a 14.1hh pony?

Ipsa

Dec 25, 2000
North Auckland New Zealand
Visit site
We have a pony that has been out on lease for a few years and he is presently on trial at Riding for the Disabled. I had planned to give up riding but am realising I would like something to hop on every now and then. If he does not work out for the RDA I am thinking I could ride the pony every now and then. He is medium build and I weigh 11 stone and am 5ft 6". Do you think he will be able to carry me?

Absolutely! My pony is 14.1 and he was quite capable of running off with me when I weighed 11.5 stone. He doesn't flinch at carrying my RI who is 12 stone.

I'm 2 stone heavier than your RI. The dales I drive has a riding weight limit of 11 stone, is that really necessary? I'd like to ride him.

Yes, non of mine are over 14hh and I am a lot heavier than you and taller.

Im 10 stone and my 14hh carries me absolutely fine. He is chunky cob. But I rode a exmoor last year just 12.1hh and he was fine with me on board.

As long as the horse has no back or leg issues. He should be fine to carry you.

I was 11st (mucking out and fighting with her has helped me lose weight lol) when I got my 14.1 and a bit girl and she was totally :)

Personally I'd call the RDA and ask what they think as they would know the pony well enough and have the experience to advise.

My daughter is 5'11" and not only rides my 14.2 Connie but is schooling a 13.2 show pony for a local friend.

RDA put very stringent weight limits on the ponies they use but that is to allow for heavy use and riders who can effectively be a 'deadweight'

Native types with good quality bone are said to be able to carry a stone for every hand!

I'm 2 stone heavier than your RI. The dales I drive has a riding weight limit of 11 stone, is that really necessary? I'd like to ride him.

If a rs horse they tend to have lower weight limits to allow for a larger work load as worked harder and more often than leisure horses in general

unless the pony is ridiculously fine, you'll be great together :)

my 12.3hh exmoor had no trouble with my sharer who weighed just under 12st.

and i'm 5'6 and ride my other exmoor (12hh!!!) without any trouble :D (i weight 9st)

If a rs horse they tend to have lower weight limits to allow for a larger work load as worked harder and more often than leisure horses in general

He doesn't do anything apart from a few hours carriage pulling on Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays. But I can't argue with the woman who looks after him, its a firm no from her.

You are definitely not too big! I totally lost my confidence riding big horses and now just have Icelandics - I am having a blast riding them. I'm 5ft 11 and 10.5 stone and they are between 14 and 14.3. Friends think I'm mad, but I see them being too nervous to ride out, frightened to ride if it is windy, raining etc and I know I'm the one having the most fun. :biggrin:

It all depends on the animal and how fit they are and how fit the rider is. How much do they weigh when in riding gear plus saddle.

Gosh Eml that could mean my pony is capable of carrying 14 stone, i would not put anyone of that weight on her because she is only 4 and not fit and her back isn't developed muscle wise to carry that. But that said with my weight she may think a fly has landed!

A very important factor is the saddle - if the 14.1 pony has a really short back then it may only take a 16" saddle and that might not be big enough for you. If you do end up having to ride in a slightly too small saddle then do check if the back of the saddle is too low - sometimes the whole saddle will sink and then a thicker pad is useful (though watch it doesn't lift the front of the saddle more than the back as most tend to do that) but a larger bottom or longer femur can push the weight to the back of the saddle and some form of rear riser will be needed.

And the saddle must sit on the ribcage - never beyond the last rib, hence the maximum size being dictated by the pony.

This one comes up time and time again. I think you will be fine unless the pony is light boned.

I have a 14.1 native type, bit of dales, bit of welsh and part gypsy cob. I have had her since a foal and she is now 12 years old. When I backed her I weighed about 11 stone and for some years I weighed up to 13 stone. It was never a problem for her. I weigh a lot less these days 9 stone 3. She still goes the same although I must say I feel much better for losing the weight.

If you are worried about weight, you could consider a synthetic saddle rather than a leather one. My leather saddle weighs 2 stone, I think the synthetics are much lighter.

As mentioned by others it is important the saddle fits the pony and the rider

I'm a 12yr old girl around the height of 5ft4-5ft6 and would i be able to ride a 14.1h pony? i ride a 14.2h at the moment who is quite chunky as shes a welsh sec D but so is the 14.1h i was looking at. thanks

newrider.com